First Grow Using Clones

Hey folks. I just harvested my last grow. That was grow #4 for me. Still trying to learn and get better at this.

I am starting this new thread to track Grow 5. I am playing catch up a little as I started these girls from cuttings I took back at the beginning of July. After many unsuccessful attempts at cloning I followed Hellraiser’s Beginners Guide to Cloning and BAM, i’m a cloner now. If you haven’t read it, it’s a great thread.

So, these girls started as cuttings from my Strawberry Cough and Hindu Kush. At one time, I had them CLEARLY marked (ahh a mind is a terrible thing to lose). Unfortunately, once they successfully popped roots, I was so excited to transplant them that I picked the best 3 plants and umm… somehow they got separated from their tags.

I posted their baby pics on my last thread but will pick a few just to provide a little history for this grow. Now that I am a cloner, my next challenge (yeah other than the tag thing) was that I took them a little early. I had the challenge of trying to keep them small in my little 2x2x3 nursery tent until there was room in the big tent.

Brand spankin new

In the cloner

Houston, we have LIFT OFF Date: 7/17

Pretty huh?

I purposely kept them in solo cups, provided little in the way of nutes and severely cut them back. I used some benders to try to spread them out as flat as possible while they were still bendy.

Straggly, but still kicking Date August 28



YESTERDAY - Sept 12th
I scrubbed the big tent, popped them out of their solo cups and put them in 5 gal fabric bags. I neglected to get pics of the transplant as it took ALL day in between everything else that was going on, but I will get some fresh pics of them in their “forever homes”.

I used FF Happy frog which I cut with 25% perlite. I was a few gallons short on soil so added approx 2-1/2 gallons of an organic potting mix. (desperate times).

It appears to be mostly peat with some compost. No time release fertilizers listed.

Finally, they will be sharing this tent with a seedling that was too late to make the last grow. She too was topped, LST, kept in a small pot, and generally only fed enough to prevent severe nutrient issues.

Pics to follow. This is gonna be an interesting one. Let’s see how fast they all recover with some good light, good soil, solid feeding plan with Jack’s 3-2-1.

Love to hear your feedback.


Along for the ride. Good luck. I’ve got my fist clones on deck.


Nice cloning!

Newt, VERY NICE Clones you have there!
Don’t know about you, but being able to do this really was a feeling of accomplishment for me. I have only purchased seeds through ILGM and have had almost a 100% germination rate, but my success to get them to viable 4 inch plants has not been impressive. Being able to roll my own is pretty darned cool.

Which method did you use to create them? i was never successful using peat pods, but the cloner (and a great guide) change all that.

Welcome to the thread. should be a party!


Thank you! Means a lot hearing that from you. I do believe I have spent more time reading your threads than I have spent growing. The folks on this forum are priceless.

1 Like

I cloned in the 3 in peat pots in rockwool cubes. The new (little one) is in a Root Riot cube. I’ve documented it in Hellraiser’s Cloning thread. That thread is awesome!

1 Like

Found it

1 Like

Finally. grabbed some pics of them all settled in

Weird having the light back to the “low position” in the tent


After they settle a bit i may start tying and stretching them out. need to start establishing a nice branch structure now that they arent all jammed together


Ok Peeps. Happy Friday. today, between calls, i managed to pull them all out one at a time and LST them til they moaned. they are still looking a little worse for the wear from spending so much time in solos jammed in a 2x2 tent, but i think they will perk up soon.

They were still damp today so i think tomorrow will be watering day. should get some updated pics then.

Here they are. getting acclimated to their new space







1 Like