First grow tent 4x4x6

I’ll have my inline fan and all my little things in the next couple days and then I plan to start from clones most likely but I don’t have a big peak of height so I need a shorter high yield flower any tips?

7 Likes

If you aren’t planning on doing any plant training then indicas would be better than sativas, but in either case you probably want to do some plant training in your tent. In which case, if you were to do a SCROG, you could do both. So you have options, but as a guy only on his second grow, I would keep it simple and grow one or two indica dominant plants for your first grow, do some light stress training (LST) on them to keep them shorter and wider, let them grow under veg lights until they are half the size you think you can accomodate, then switch to flower. One thing I learned on my first grow is don’t over complicate things.

EDIT

One more thing I learned the hard way - invest in a quality PH meter right now! It should be at the top of your list for grow equipment just like lights and pots/buckets.

9 Likes

Well said @Bogleg!

Look into SCROG techniques or keep em small.

2 Likes

Thank you I’m making my final list now for things. I need and I didn’t think PH meter I forgot tbh and yes I want like white widow or super silver haze I’m looking for higher yield shorter plants and I had plans on doing 3 20gal pots when all is said and done

1 Like

Also does anybody know if I’ll have a temperature problem my tent is in my garage unattached so it’s not heated or insulated… being as though it’s winter do u think I’ll have trouble maintaining temp when the lights are off because I won’t have added heat

Also I rehung my light so I can get the max height out of it and I wanna say I go an extra 4-6 inches

2 Likes

Welcome @Trippy_kidd
Depends on what your “winter” is. Here in vegas lows are like 30f and my garage stays around 50f
So depending on what temps we are talking about a small radiator heater outside the tent to keep the temp up may be a wise investment. There are quite a few indoor growers here that have had to work out temp swings too so you should get the info you need to get this grow crankin!!:grin:

Oh and the indica dominant strains will not only be a lil shorter but more tolerant to the cold.
White widow I would say is a perfect strain fo your set up
I think you may have trouble trying for the super silver haze they like it warm and are a lil less hardy than white widow

1 Like

Well I’m in Michigan so it gets as cold as 0,-(s) and being as thought the garage is detached there’s no way to regulate that temp … but I did see a good idea to buy a cheap small space heater and a reptile thermostat to help maintain warmth… I think I’m gonna do that and … strain wise I’m gonna start with white widow … low growing crop with a higher yield and a easy management for growth for a beginner :slight_smile: feel free to add anything that you think would help thank you

3 Likes

Any way you can get a heater and test it out before you start putting plants in it? I’d want to make sure I can maintain a bare minimum temp with the lights off before I throw a plant in the space.

2 Likes

I would think an oil filled type radiant heater inside the space would be a good idea.

1 Like

Yes I don’t have plans on putting plants in till I have the temp regulated

2 Likes

Do u have an example as to such

also I tightened everything up got my light to raise a bit more and I have a high velocity fan I plan on getting a speed regulator because I feel with it’s natural speed it pulls out a bit to much warm air because my light provides most heat as of rn

I’m pretty sure @dbrn32 lives not far from there. He probably could shed some wisdom about the temperature issue. I just know for sure that anything over a 15° temp swing will stunt any fruiting or flowering plants growth

3 Likes

You’re definitely going to have some issues with getting temps to stay up. On average, it’s probably more cold by you than me. I wouldn’t feel comfortable growing in my garage, it’s insulated but no heat. A sealed grow would be an option, but it would probably be cheaper to insulate and heat the garage than to properly run a sealed grow.

I didn’t ask what you had for lights, but hid would be a big help. You’re still going to run into issues with lights out temps even if the hid keep it warm enough.

The problem with heating just the tent, is that you’re going to still have to keep some air moving in there. So you’ll eventually just be exhausting your warm air. The one benefit to that is that would heat the garage slightly.

It’s a long shot, but maybe insulating the tent? I’m thinking you maybe could get by vegging until the temps come up and are a little more stable. Maybe March or so, which a single plant scrog would be ideal and also solve your height issue. If you want to go that route, I would say it would be heavily dependent on a few things…

1. Hid lighting
  2. Aotomated exhaust control
  3. Automated heat control
  4. Insulate the tent
  5. Vegging until temps come up and stabilize

Not saying that will work for sure though. Haven’t tried growing in that kind of climate, so just a guess. The best person I know to ask is @Donaldj. He uses detached building in cold climate.

1 Like

@dbrn32 @Trippy_kidd recirculating the tent air back to an intake is one the first necessary option. Oil filled heater will definitely help in that situation. The other option is to physically put insulation around the grow tent. I’m not sure how much room you have. LEC or ceramic metal halide, is also a great option. Let me know your thoughts on this.

2 Likes

So far what I have done f temperature It I plan on getting a oil filled thermostat heater from Lowe’s Also I got a fan speed controller cuz my fan is a high velocity and I felt it was pulling out a lot of the warmth I had so I turned the fan down within reason to keep air circulation going so we’ll see how that helps my temp and rn I have my seeds in a grow box in my house so we’ll see here

2 Likes

I always opt for more light over running heater when I can :wink: but yes I recirculate air but use a twist I recirculate air into adjacent area and use that mixed and slightly warmed air as intake air. Another trick is to direct a fan at light pushing heat down and around the tent not using vented shade, speed controller on fans to lower exhaust rate or yes insulate and contain heat in space

1 Like

Well I have plans on buying another 4x4 same set up and I can recirculate from tent to tent correct?

2 Likes