First Grow Since 1992

If u feel like its overfed just do a feed or 2 of just water phd. Can get a cheapo vivosun ppm meter or tds meter. After u have the ppm meter it will help tell alot say u water with phd water at 300ppm when u water and start hetting runoff let some drip off then in a shallow bowl catch enough to fill a shotglass then check the ph and ppms of that if ur ppms are super high the plants not eating the nutes in the soil if it is in reasonable numbers u r not feeding too much maybe not enoigh. Its hard to say without numbers its like math. U need them numbers. I dont check runoff myself unless i see issues then i do the chasing game like my runtz. She looks weird deforned looking total diff from every other plant but sane feeding so i check ph is off a 4.9 and 2224 ppm. Should be around 800 or 900 and around 5.8. Would not know that without the meters lol. It is a learning process but seriously not hatd once u do it a couple times its like uve done it fornyears. Then u start adjusting the nuye levels according to plants talk. Always when u dont know a nute line or dont know someone who uses or used it u should always start at quarter to half the recommended dose and go from there. Do juat phd water and see if she gets better. It will def bring down the nute level in the soil if too high. Remember tds or ppm meter sane deal diff name. Amazon has them like 10 to 12 bucks. Its blie they have a set blie and yellow for like w0 the yellow dont work so well only short time lol the blue will work til it dies on u. Ppm meter can be cheaper versions but the ph meter does need to be something of quality to last and get accurate readings. Apera ph20 is a well recommended one to het about 50 bucks on amazon but does require the apera storage solition to keep probe in working order. Man ill stop i know this is a book. Good luck ull get this figured out soon and be moving right along with the rest of us

2 Likes

Really wish people would stop saying to adjust pH in FF soilsā€¦ itā€™s a waste of time and money. Itā€™s also contradictory to what fox farms intended when they created happy frog and ocean forest. It wonā€™t help. If it does anything at all it will hurt the buffer.

2 Likes

My whole first grow was in ffof with gh mutes always phd to 6.8 and never had an issue 1. U do ur thing ill shut up

1 Like

Iā€™m not saying it will hurt anything, it had for me 10% of the time I did. Iā€™m merely saying itā€™s unnecessary. You pay extra for that buffer in the soilā€¦ Why? May aswell flush the hell out of miracle gro and use it. would be the same then. Minus the buffer ff soils have.

• This is per manufacturer specifications based on growing cannabis, what the soil was created to do. Someone made it their livelihood, why would you tell them their product doesnā€™t work by adjust intake pH? Without even testing that theory.

Hey thanks for the advice my brother. I donā€™t understand how to adjust ppms yet. I am doing the flush in the tub with ph balanced water?

I wouldnt really flush it til u have a tds meter to tell whats in there. U dont wanna wash everything out especially if there is little there. We dont know this withoit numbers. Adjusting ppm is not hard. If u make u a batch of nutes u check ppms itll give u a number. Them numbers are the total disolved solids or parts per million in that mix. So if u put in 1200 ppm nutes and the runoff comes out at 1500 ppm its not eating all the food u r giving and it is building up.in the soil. So much buildup will cause the roots to lockout anything going to the plant that it needs. See if u can get a ppm meter on emergency like amazon prime 2bday delivery. Thats best bet as of now to see some numbers

1 Like

Your runoff ppm should be higher than intake. If youā€™re taking proper readingsā€¦ Itā€™s when it becomes 40% more you have to worry.

1 Like

so how do you adjust? Either add nutes or flush nutes depending? Iā€™ll try to get a cheap working meter and let u know

This is the best place to learn imo. I was well versed here before I came the to forum. What few questions Iā€™ve had beyond the guides were met with extremely useful information. Iā€™ve found if it can be found in the guides, you will get very mixed answers, guides are the best generalized information to build your own way off of.

2 Likes

I go by plants rough age and ppms basically seedlings between 400 and 500 ppm early veg 5 to 600ppm late veg 7 tpo 800pmm flower 8 to 900ppm late flower 100 on up to what the plant can hanfle. If the soli run off comes out to be a good ph and high ppm i would just do a ro water woth calmag phd to 6.8 in soil no more no less try and keep ph at 6.8 flat if possible. 6.8 ph is a perfect ph for soils such as ffof and happy frog ect. Pure living soils are a completer difference such a pro mix and all. Ur in ffof so treat it as soil and ph to 6.8 and ull be good. Keep ph in check and keep runoff from ppms building up and ur hood. Of ppms are high just water or calmag. Check runoff til ur ph and ppms are in order then leave to dry out then follow with feeds as normal. Start off at quarter dose if all looks good next water feed day gove a half recommended dose and move up til u hit the recommended amount.

1 Like

The point of fox farms soils is to eliminate half of that though. That was their objective when creating their soil line. So that you wouldnā€™t have to worry about pH. You wouldnā€™t have to worry about burning them in seedling/veg. Hell, you can indeed water only till end in their soils. It just wonā€™t be optimum.

One of the few things that keeps me from releasing some of my own programs. Especially after what happened to my brother. He literally did for a CNC grind op what other companies pay teams millions of dollars to do. For the company he started with out of college. He got squat. He increased that plants productivity by 30% and decreased change over time by 90%ā€¦ because he did that. He was to valuable in his current position to move up. He also didnā€™t put a clause for them to use it. Here we are, years later. He works as an engineer for the largest ortho company in the world now. But if that first company wouldā€™ve promoted him and recognized what he had done for them. Heā€™d be rich afā€¦ thankfully they are ā€œupgradingā€ to new machines. Which will quickly show loss in profits because of programs. To me this is the best life lesson there is. If you donā€™t listen to the creator you will only hurt yourself, not them.

I dont use ff nuyes but the soil from what i know should be treated as soil and phd to 6.8. Every1 i know who hrows in it ohs to 6.8. Using ff nutes may be different but i still since being on this forum have never seen someone not ph their nutes unless they r so used to mixing certain things they know the ph is in line already. In a plant with a mediim ph is a super huge part of the plant. I still cannot think of a nute lone thatvu dont have to ph unless u r top feeding outside and use a garden hose to water with. In any case i would still check ph always. @PurpNGold74 @Covertgrower @MidwestGuy. Can someone help clear up a situation. Does ffof soils need to have phd nutes or just mix and dont worry about ph as the soil will take on whatever. If thats the case why would i have had to buy a ph meter ppm meter ph up ph down and all that shiz when i started.

1 Like

Iā€™ll just dig through to where keystone taught me this. I was on your side before keystone opened my eyes. His level of brash is something I wish I had. He didnā€™t tell you that you were wrong. It was always a question. And that question would make one feel foolish

On second thought.im going the keystone way. I said what I saidā€¦ research it further yourself or accept it for what you want. I tried.

2 Likes

Really? Ive grown in those soils years. If I dont help the herd, I HAVE to pH. Its not contradictory. Its plant science. If youre out of range. Ur plants wont eat. Pretty simple.

What is this buffer u keep mentioning? As far as Im concerned there is no such thing aside from as I just mention. Mychorrize or however u spell it.

And your plants will wither and die around week 3 of flower. Those soils DO NOT have enough to flower. Even 12-12 from seed. Its not gonna work. This is why I dont give coco advice. And if i do, i leave a disclaimer and tag in coco growers. Quite instigative (Keystone-like quality that i admire) but not the most knowledgeableā€¦ (not very keystone-like)

U two both give solid advice. But when it comes to newer growers, the input can be extremely overwhelming. When in this type of situation, tag someone who knows. Dont keep pushing ur side, unless ur positive itll be a positive outcome. Nothing hurts more then killing someoneā€™s plants thru a forum. Trust me. Ive felt that shame.

@Nik get up pics whenever you have a chance. Also like stated, a tds/ppm meter will be an invaluable tool in your arsenal. Drop that 12 bucks and get one. Lol

2 Likes

Ughā€¦ you really gonna make me dig and quote keystoneā€¦? Itā€™s rare I share my original practicesā€¦ in fact. Itā€™s almost unheard of. I only share what I Iearned here and implemented. My own practices would be extemely opposed by most. Iā€™m just a third generation farmer from the Midwest who decided to try growing cannabis. The secrets to the family farm can never be sold. Unlike my tractor. Sold it. Thinking of moving to Europe. Anywhere but USA really.

1 Like

I mean u can quote him until you are blue in the face. Doesnt make it good advice to give a NEW grower my friend.

Im not trying to debate or push any buttons. I was tagged and felt the need to clarify some false info before he went down a rabbit hole the wrong direction

Regardless. Iā€™ve fed these two plants with no pH adjustments. And keystone fed ALL of his plants with 7.0 neutral tap water. He also grew plants from seedling to harvest in 50/50 hf/of beginning to end with nothing but that unadjusted tap water. These plants here. Get 5.5-7.2 when I occasionally checked. Never once adjusted. entire life. Seems fine to me.

Itā€™s not bad advice. Itā€™s advice that saves money. Visit the FF siteā€¦ Learn about the buffer before it gets killed with salt nutrients again.

1 Like

Well must be some magic beans or dirt.

80% of the country dont have access to TAP water at 7. But since u do congrats. Most tap is around 8+. So thereā€™s that. And if you urself acknowledge he uses water at appropriate pH range. Why would u tell someone else it completely doesnt matter? Grow a plant start to finish in soil with 9 pH water. Go aheadā€¦ ill wait

1 Like

This is turning into a pissing contestā€¦ if OP needs me someone tag. Goodday kind sir @Budz

1 Like

Because I also said I dobt adjust in soil. My well water is atrociousā€¦ I filter jt then add salt nutes. But not enough to kill my microbes. I also add microbes. At first I wondered why keystone retired from forum. This right here is quickly telling me why. When you know something absolute and people just donā€™t want to accept it. If I was sick I wouldnā€™t be able to deal with it either. Iā€™m also out. Peace.
ĀÆ_ą² _ą² _/ĀÆ