First Grow, Organic Nature's Living Soil, any advice!

So after months of reading and researching on the forum and other places I decided to get growing.

SETUP

Indoor - AC Infinity 2x2x6 under the stairs literally couldn’t fit anything larger. ACI T4 w/ carbon filter, ACI S22 100w LED + AC Ionbeam U2 UVA light, Using closet as a lung room which has a passive intake from house which is kept about 73.

ILGM GSCE auto

Tap water passed through RV filter to eliminate Chlorine and chloramine. PPM 130-140 PH 7.8 (using Apera pen) and Earth Juice to adjust PH down. Also adding aloe to water

FF Coco Loco mix - Nature’s living soil autoflower Super Soil Mix in bottom 1/3

Planning on compost teas and Girl Flower Power onceshe is in flowering.

Waycool Humidifier with its own sensor as well, also have dehu if needed.

No CO2

Temps currently 75 RH 77 VPD .73 since leaf temp is about 1° warmer than room

GROW PLAN

I know things change and the plan may not keep but its a starting point.

Week 0-1 lights 24/0
Main light at 3ft @ 12DLI,
UVA light 24in on level 3.(manufacturer recommends 1ft at 5 for 2x2 tent)
Water 1-2 cups with Aloe mixture every 2-3 days. With 1 foliar spray

Week 1-2 lights 20/4
UP main light to 15-20 DLI
Move UVA to about 20in
Start week with compost tea for watering and 2-3 cups of water every 3 days

Week 2-3 20/4
DLI 20-25 move UVA 16in
Start week with TEA, 4 cups of Aloe water every 3 days, last week for any foliar sprays.

Week 3-4 20/4
DLI 30ish move UVA to 12in( manufacturers recommendation) and up to level 5
TEA to start week, 4-6 cups every 3 days, Top dress with GFP at end of week.

Week 4-5 20/4
DLI 40 make sure UVA is 1ft
1/2 gallon - 1 gallon every 3 days trying to not have runoff because of super soil.

Weeks 5-11 20/4
DLI 45
1 -2 Gallons as need 3-4 days. Teas once a week w/ GFP until week 8 then just water with Aloe until week 7 then just water.

Week 11+ 18/6
DLI 40 down to 32 each week lowering to sim fall and tell her to finish

If there is anything I should change feel free as Im definitely open. Just wanting to keep organic.

5 Likes

So here is her timeline so far

2/18 - placed seed in PH’d water to 6.8

2/20 - showing small tail

2/21 - misted soil with Aloe water, placed seed on side in 1/4in hole and domed with clear solo w 2 slits on top

2/22 - 2/23 misted inside of cup 3x a day

2/24 - watered 3/4 cup water around edge of cup. First significant water the soil has seen since putting together on 3/18, also installed UVA lights

2/25 - AM misted cup, PM she is showing her head

2/26 - she shedded her helmet

2/27 - 1.5 in tall and fist set of serated leaves, watered 2 cups of water with Aloe around where cup was and outer edges of pot.

2/28 - she looks happy, recieved IR gun today and leaf temp is about 1-2° higher than room so adjusted VPD accordingly. Also raised light to 12 DLI as I was at 15. Thought it might have been to close.

7 Likes

Congrats on a good start! Seems like you started with good lessons and knowledge, about watering and seedling care.
The first pic is funny, looks like access to grow through a tiny door. Until the later pics.

5 Likes

It is access through a tiny door. Lol its tucked under the stairs. Only place my wife would let me. It was there all ready.

5 Likes

So far so good! Happy lil lady. Great plan of execution. I look forward to watching you both progress.

As for keeping it organic. Im a fan of Alaska Fish Emulsion. Its all organic and they sale two flavors, 5-1-1 (Nitrogen heavy Veg feed) and 0-15-15 (PK heavy flower based feed) that you can tinker with and tune as she needs it. A bottle of each should cover any big nutrient needs that may arise.

Also I dont recall any calcium or magnesium supplements. Magnesium is easily accessible with Epsom salts. Calcium may take a bit of sourcing. Im fond of Dolomite Lime but it raises pH so there’s that (also very slow releasing). Bone meal is another great option but it is also slow release.

And finally, all organic growers should encourage a healthy semi living soil. To accomplish such, microbes are your best friend. Mykos, Real Growers Recharge, and Tribus are very popular here. Tribus being the most expensive and diverse of the 3. But super cost effective and a godsend for any garden

6 Likes

Today’s update. Day 4 above ground

Air temp 73 RH 78.1 VPD .67 leaf temp 75
2in tall this morning and spreading her wings

2 Likes

I was thinking of using a banana cucumber peel tea a couple of times as well. For cal and mag. Also was looking at recharge but I’ve spent enough all ready. May have to wait a bit. I’m more gearing to go towards living. Just thought I would need larger than 5 gallon pots

2 Likes

Nope. Ive done my semi living soils in as small as 2 gallon pots. Works just fine

Banana/cucumber peel tea sounds like a good PK boost more then cal and mag… i maybe mistaken but tour flower tea should have that covered. Think more eggshells in water for calcium

3 Likes

Awesome, Im using NLS autoflower with blackstrap for my teas so that should help build the micro herd.

1 Like

What about Horsetail extract or bamboo extract? I know both contain silica, which is beneficial, and calcium. Also bamboo extract contains mag,cal, copper, and potassium.

Also thought about just organic horsetail as a mulch that breaks down and adds silica.

2 Likes

Ive never heard of either. But they should work just fine. Do a bit more research and see if anyone on the net has tried it.

I found these if you have any interst

4 Likes

Went to fill the Humidifier tank and checked in on her. Leaf temps still 1.5° higher than 76° tent temp RH 78% vpd .74. DLI was at 14.5 maybe because the UVA added I forgot to adjust also it has been running at level 3.
Should I back off the light some.

4 Likes

Im doing an NLS grow right now. Remeber if you have questions you can email Richard over at NLS and he will answer every question you might have… Ive asked a few already, ill screengrab and post here for your reading pleasure.

For watering I have been following this for the first 30 days it worked great even for my non living soil plants.

Im following along and your seedling looks great.

4 Likes

That’s the watering schedule i based mine off of. Basically following this but addi g teas as well.

3 Likes

How often are you planning on doing teas?

Once a week

1 Like

I like teas better then dressing cuz NLS smells like Shite!

4 Likes

Do you PH your water after making tea? Or just before hand?

1 Like

Great ingenuity on your tent. Smart wife.

5 Likes