First grow..need some advice please

My grow tent is a 3×3
Growing gse autos
Light is viparspectra 900w
707 formula, with nature’s living super soil mix on the bottom 1/3 of a 7 gal smart pot. Top layer of fox farms forest and ocean.
Temp is 72 with 71% humidity
The seedlings are on day 3. I am just trying to find the proper placement for my light. There is so many different answers. Right now my light is sitting 31 inches above. Is this sufficient? Thanks in advance for help.

I think around 31 is probably pretty good. Does the light have a dimmer? I have an led and don’t know for sure. Did your light come with a manual by chance and have height requirements for veg bloom seedling germination

1 Like

Yes the manual says 44 to 48 inches it does not state seedling veg germination height

31 inches ought to be fine. Seedlings don’t need as much light as more mature plants. Your light intensity requirements will increase as the plants age and you may want to get a more capable light by the time you get to flowering.

1 Like

What would you suggest? I was under the impression I could grow using this light for flowering too. Thank you

These “burple” lights are less than ideal and they have a poor reputation among experienced growers due to misleading advertising. They are underpowered and have poor spectrum. Your Viparspectra, for instance, is actually only a 390 watt light.

An HLG 260XL would be good for 2 plants. There are also other good options out there. Other examples include Bridgelux or Fluence. Some growers have been able to find Mars Hydro or Spider Farmer lights with good diodes. When you do get a light you will want to make sure that they have Samsung 301B or 301H or a comparable high efficacy diodes.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum, by the way. I just noticed that it was your first post.

1 Like

You light will still grow weed, but you are likely to get less yield and more fluffy buds.

2 Likes

I’m on my first grow as well and have some gsce and GG autos. I have a spiderfarmer sf2000 which I think I like so far. I’ve ran into some problems though I’m growing in living soil as well topped with FF HF potting soil and just started having problems. I do have a post going as well. I’ll definitely be tagging along on yours.

2 Likes

Thank you. Yes new to all of this.

1 Like

Good luck to you!

Thank you. I think I will have to stick with this one for now.

1 Like

This is my gsce on day 27 from sprout they grow quick!

3 Likes

New day so I get more replies! This morning one of the girls has drops of water on the leaves. I took the domes off and will leave them off for most of the day.

1 Like

You can lower the light some which will control stem stretch. A dome needs to stay on the seedling otherwise they will not collect much moisture: they derive all water through the leaves until a tap root develops.

Pictures in natural light are appreciated. The blurple makes it hard to see anything.

4 Likes

Thank you. How much should I lower the lights? They are at 31 inches now. Here are pictures in natural light.

Try bringing it down to around 24" and watch how the plant responds.

1 Like

Ok will do. Thank you so much!

@MidwestGuy is this a good light?

It has older generation Samsung diodes (LM281) which I am not familiar with. 200 watts from the wall. It might be okay for 1 plant. Let’s ask @dbrn32. He probably has a better idea of what the light is capable of.

2 Likes