@Sixpackdad
@garrigan62
@raustin

3 Likes

Those look great

1 Like

@Dame619

What’s happened here ii:

♠Nutrient Burn is one of the MOST common mistakes a new grower makes,

reason for this is, because a newer grower will use a chemical nutrient
most of the time and listen to the directions on the box. This is a NO NO!
Depending on the age of the plant, size, strain and soil mixture you are using
also has a factor. There is no set guideline when using nutrients, but I can
give you a good example to start out with so you will not burn your plants.
It’s always good to start out light, rather than feed heavy. Remember you can
always add more later, but can not take out when you added to much. Chemical
and Organic nutrients differ. Chemical nutrients are more readily available
and can burn way easier than organics can. Organics are easier for a newer
grower to use, most of the time, and lessen your chances of burning your plants.
I recommend not using more than ½ teaspoon of chemical nutrients per gallon
of water. Unless the plants are very big 5 feet+, then it’s safe to use 1
teaspoon per gallon of water. When your plants first emerge you want to wait
at least 2 weeks before feeding your plants, unless your plants are in a soiless
mixture, like pro mix. The cotyledons (its first set of round looking leaves) are
what give the plant its food until they get the first 2 or 3 sets of leaves. If
your plants are in a soiless mixture and are over the first week of age; you can
feed a weak amount of nutrients, like Âź teaspoon per gallon of water. Soiless
mixtures are different from soil plants and soiless plants need to be fed more
when using this mixture.

I also recommend not feeding more than 1 time a week if using ½ teaspoon per
gallon of water for chemical nutrients. You can feed every other day,( this
goes for chemical and organics) at very weak amounts, but doing this may contribute
to over watering, and for that I do not recommend feeding more than once a week.
Some people feed 2 times a week using like ¼ teaspoon per gallon of water… Use 1/4
strength for first feeding and then go up to 1/2 strength from the 2nd feeding when
using chemical nutrients. It’s very easy to overdo it. When using organics, depending
on which one you’re using, I recommend using 1 teaspoon per gallon of water. When the
plant gets bigger you can work your way up to using more nutrients when the plants
get bigger.

As for soil mixtures, there are a lot of different kinds of soil’s out there. Using a
rich soil mixture is not recommended for seedlings. Seedlings that are under 2
weeks of age you do not want to start them in rich soil, using a seed starter
mixture is one of the safer ways. Seed starter mixtures are weak in nutrients,
so it will not burn the seedlings but will provide them enough to get past seedling
stage, but the downside is you have to transplant into a better soil mixture after 2
weeks of age. If you decide to start with this mixture, do not put your seedlings
into a big pot. Start them out with using a cup or a small pot.

Nutrient Burn causes leaf tips to appear yellow or burnt. They can also be brown
and twisted and crispy looking. Depending on the severity it can show many different
symptoms and shows on lower part of the plant when its young, at older stages it
can move anywhere on the plant.

To fix the problem when you have Nutrient burn, you want to flush out the plants
with lots of water.

Soil

Soil should be flushed with lots of water, Use 3 gallons of water per one gallon of soil.
Flush very thoroughly, after plant recovers usually after a week, you can resume using
nutrients after a week or a week 1/2. When you flush your soil, you flush everything out,
a lot of nutrients go with it, including the soil nutrients.

Hydro `````````````````
Change out the reservoir, flush out any lines and clean out the entire system and
replace with plain water for the first hour, then start out with lower parts per
million (PPM)
Its good to clean out your system every 2 weeks and replace with fresh water and
nutrients. Some people change everything every week!

Ahh, nute burn! Stop this by not adding to much chemical/organic nutrients to your
water, foliar feeding. DONT feed more than 1 time a week unless using weak amount,
use 1/4 strength for first feeding and then go up to 1/2 strength from then on when
using chemical nutrients. Its very easy to overdo it. Causes leaf tips to appear
yellow or burnt. NEVER give nutrients to plants that are under 2 weeks of age, at
this age the soil nutrients are enough to suppliment them untill 2 weeks of age or
more depending on how good your soil is. Using ferts before 2 weeks will almost
likley kill your plants.

1 Like

As @garrigan62 posted, you’ve got nute burn and some nitrogen toxicity. No more nutes for these gals! Just water with plain Ph water for now. Unfortunately, they’re too small to do a proper flush. Hopefully, they will get through it.

1 Like

@Raustin @garrigan62

The pictures i posted yesterday of the plants i have added ~0 nutes to those plants. only Calmag with distilled water but not that i have my Ph meter & ppm meter working i will hopefully get these gals back on track.
i have only been using 4mL of calmag for these for over a week now & they look good to me. only the bottom leafes seem a bit off but that might have been because i was watering with out actually using the Ph meter or ppm meter because i didnt have those at the moment. but if i get it all written down & i get good at recording & comparing my run off water hopefully these gals recover, this morning will be their watering day. since they seem really thirsty.

If i have added ~0 nutes to 4/5 plants is it still nute burn? since not having a Ph meter or Ppm meter available is crucial for growing. i might have been messing up the whole time with the droplets method on how to Ph my water

Your girls look good, don’t worry, you’l get them back on track.

1 Like

You really need a Ph meter! It’s almost impossible to get proper Ph without one.

1 Like

Now i do have a Ph meter but before i was using the drops that change color. this will be my first feeding or watering with a proper Ph meter.

Excellent! That will make a huge difference in your grow.

2 Likes

Hopefully i get them back on track :wink:

Got the Ph meter calibrated & Ppm meter is working correctly. tested ppm meter with regular distilled water showed a 00001. i picked up the pot trays today & wanted to update after i watered.

Plant A- Feed with 6.51Ph 177ppm
Run off- 5.6ph 756ppm

plant b- feed 6.49Ph 220ppm
Runoff 5.83Ph 645ppm (beginning) 5.79ph 750ppm

Plant C- feed 6.47Ph 210ppm
Runoff 1750ppm 5.6Ph

I fed like i Regularly do with these plants the only difference it took me a while with the drops of ph Up or Ph down. wrote down the results on a journal & dated to look back & try to do the same if plants liked it. hopefully i did everything right & plants will love this feed.

If i see any problems i will surely update.

1 Like

Nice work. You are on the path.

The low pH in the run-off is an issue. Others may have some better recommendations, but next time you water, water with 6.8 pH, which is the high range for soil pH. The run-off pH should come up a little bit over time. You plants are a little exposed during this time, so we can watch them closely. The extreme option is flushing, but as @raustin notes, your plants may be too young for that. It’s a pros and cons trade off between the two options. They look ok right now, so I vote for the non-flushing option. If they were looking tough, flushing may be the more necessary option.

In a prior post you asked if you were just giving plain water with cal mag, could you have nute burn - the answer is yes because you are using a hot soil in Ocean Forest. It’s got lots of stuff in it which is why many don’t recommend using a nutes until late veg/early flowering. I use hot soil for my young plants and I haven’t been able to avoid a little bit of nute burn on the early leaves. They recover nicely as they mature.

2 Likes

@Sixpackdad maybe the low run off Ph is because i was using a non reliable Drops & might have messed with the system. next watering i i will feed with 6.8Ph like you recommend & record the run off & compare it to the last results hopefully they get back on track & show better run off results.

i will also lay off the nutes & just stick to cal mag until i get them back on track or a little older when you guys recommend to throw nutes.
Will stick to the same feeding schedule & keep giving it the same mL of calmag i have been using.

ill check tonight & if i see any issues with it i will definitely ask questions. but for now i think they look really good. leafes look really tender.

1 Like

@raustin

Great info, you surely are a big help around here 1

2 Likes

Awe, thanks @garrigan62. I try.

1 Like

This is Plant A- My thick Tender beautiful girl.
& My 2 newest babys.

1 Like

Plant B is looking nice & Healthy with her thinner leafes than plant A.

Also in the picture is plant C with the 2 baby girls.

1 Like

Feed 11-27-18 Feed all with Distilled 4mg Calmag.

plant B= 192ppm 6.74pH
Runoff 5.9pH 1044ppm

Plant A= 6.81pH 178ppm
Runoff 6.0pH 1470ppm

Plant C= 202ppm 6.64pH
Runoff 6.1pH 1582ppm