First grow, need help?

Hello everyone, making a new thread.
This is my first grow & decided to hop on the wave like everyone here, I will be using FoxFarm OceanForest & using a 300w MarsHydro light while I find a better one.
3 biggest plants were planted October 23 & were Transplanted into a 2 gallon SmartPot. I have a 4ft by 2ft tent which is 4ft tall. I water using Distilled water gallons which i label “New” “Calmag added” or “Nutrient added” Already had nutrients burn & recovering from it. Last time i watered was 4 days ago & tonight will be their watering day.

(Also want to point out I transplanted to low & leafs touched the dirt which might be why they are dying)

This is my Beautiful plant-A. anyone have any suggestions or know if im doing anything else wrong?

@raustin @Sixpackdad @blackthumbbetty

It’s pretty common for the first sets of true leaves to die off. Are you checking pH because they look a little neon green to me and may have a lockout issue. Other than that , your off to a solid start!

2 Likes

@Familyman
I ordered a digital ppm meter & digital Ph meter because i have been using the drops that change the color of the water.

PH your water to 6.5. You will also need some pH up and down. PH is probably the most important facet of growing. It is the key to all nutrient uptake.

3 Likes

Thank you for mentioning that, forgot to add that i also have this & I have been using that drop in water method to Ph my water & getting it to a golden brown so it’s somewhere at 6.3 - 6.7

Have you used the nutes yet? Also, those water pH tests are not accurate enough for growing weed.

2 Likes

The reason I ask is because FFOF is loaded with nutes and unless your running quantum boards, you shouldn’t need them until flowering really.

2 Likes

@Familyman Yes i did add nutes to Plant C one of the 3 plant. (First 5 pictures on thread)))

All the others i have not added no nutes only calMag to all distilled water i add. Heard the same feed back on the drops method before. but i ordered digital Ph meter & Digital Ppm meter so should correct issue soon. for now im using what i can.

Watered All 3 biggest plants with Distilled water using the same mL of Cal mag i added a week ago. I also Ph’d the water to see if it changed.

& I water the 2 smallest using just ph’d water With 2Mg of calMag

Sounds like your doing what you can. Just lay off the nutes until you get an exact lock on the pH and the.mn you’ll be right on track. The damaged leaves won’t heal but look at the new growth and make sure they are healthy. Good luck my friend and don’t hesitate to ask me any questions if needed.

1 Like

@Dame619

What you have going on there is called: Nutrient Burn

th

NUTRIENT%20BURN%405

Nutrient Burn is one of the MOST common mistakes a new grower makes,
reason for this is, because a newer grower will use a chemical nutrient
most of the time and listen to the directions on the box. This is a NO NO!
Depending on the age of the plant, size, strain and soil mixture you are using
also has a factor. There is no set guideline when using nutrients, but I can
give you a good example to start out with so you will not burn your plants.
It’s always good to start out light, rather than feed heavy. Remember you can
always add more later, but can not take out when you added to much. Chemical
and Organic nutrients differ. Chemical nutrients are more readily available
and can burn way easier than organics can. Organics are easier for a newer
grower to use, most of the time, and lessen your chances of burning your plants.
I recommend not using more than ½ teaspoon of chemical nutrients per gallon
of water. Unless the plants are very big 5 feet+, then it’s safe to use 1
teaspoon per gallon of water. When your plants first emerge you want to wait
at least 2 weeks before feeding your plants, unless your plants are in a soiless
mixture, like pro mix. The cotyledons (its first set of round looking leaves) are
what give the plant its food until they get the first 2 or 3 sets of leaves. If
your plants are in a soiless mixture and are over the first week of age; you can
feed a weak amount of nutrients, like ¼ teaspoon per gallon of water. Soiless
mixtures are different from soil plants and soiless plants need to be fed more
when using this mixture.

I also recommend not feeding more than 1 time a week if using ½ teaspoon per
gallon of water for chemical nutrients. You can feed every other day,( this
goes for chemical and organics) at very weak amounts, but doing this may contribute
to over watering, and for that I do not recommend feeding more than once a week.
Some people feed 2 times a week using like ¼ teaspoon per gallon of water… Use 1/4
strength for first feeding and then go up to 1/2 strength from the 2nd feeding when
using chemical nutrients. It’s very easy to overdo it. When using organics, depending
on which one you’re using, I recommend using 1 teaspoon per gallon of water. When the
plant gets bigger you can work your way up to using more nutrients when the plants
get bigger.

As for soil mixtures, there are a lot of different kinds of soil’s out there. Using a
rich soil mixture is not recommended for seedlings. Seedlings that are under 2
weeks of age you do not want to start them in rich soil, using a seed starter
mixture is one of the safer ways. Seed starter mixtures are weak in nutrients,
so it will not burn the seedlings but will provide them enough to get past seedling
stage, but the downside is you have to transplant into a better soil mixture after 2
weeks of age. If you decide to start with this mixture, do not put your seedlings
into a big pot. Start them out with using a cup or a small pot.

Nutrient Burn causes leaf tips to appear yellow or burnt. They can also be brown
and twisted and crispy looking. Depending on the severity it can show many different
symptoms and shows on lower part of the plant when its young, at older stages it
can move anywhere on the plant.

To fix the problem when you have Nutrient burn, you want to flush out the plants
with lots of water.

Soil

Soil should be flushed with lots of water, Use 3 gallons of water per one gallon of soil.
Flush very thoroughly, after plant recovers usually after a week, you can resume using
nutrients after a week or a week 1/2. When you flush your soil, you flush everything out,
a lot of nutrients go with it, including the soil nutrients.

Hydro `````````````````
Change out the reservoir, flush out any lines and clean out the entire system and
replace with plain water for the first hour, then start out with lower parts per
million (PPM)
Its good to clean out your system every 2 weeks and replace with fresh water and
nutrients. Some people change everything every week!

Ahh, nute burn! Stop this by not adding to much chemical/organic nutrients to your
water,foliar feeding. DONT feed more than 1 time a week unless using weak amount,
use 1/4 strength for first feeding and then go up to 1/2 strength from then on when
using chemical nutrients. Its very easy to overdo it. Causes leaf tips to appear
yellow or burnt. NEVER give nutrients to plants that are under 2 weeks of age, at
this age the soil nutrients are enough to suppliment them untill 2 weeks of age or
more depending on how good your soil is. Using ferts before 2 weeks will almost
likley kill your plants.

6 Likes

Nice plants, but you’ve got some nute burn starting. What soil are you using?

2 Likes

Cut your nutrients strength at half what the feeding schedule is. I use fox farm nutrients to and if your using fox farm soil don’t use any nutrients till your about to go into flower and then when you do feed give them at 1/4 strength because you don’t want nute burn and gradually increase your strength. I have had some expensive lessons with fox farm soil i just use pro mix soil now. Hope this helps you

1 Like

@raustin
I have been using FoxFarm Ocean Forest on all of my plants. even the seedlings.

@ThcinKC I have added nutes to one of my plants
(first 5 pictures on thread)
the 1 plant i added nutes too is the only plant i think has a off neon green color to it. but i flushed the plant & have not added no nutes no any after that.

@garrigan62 . I only added nutes to one of my plants. i add calMag to all distilled water i add to the plant, is that still putting pressure on the roots with too much nutrients or is adding calMag to distilled okay to do?

(also want to ask is the leafs touching the dirt might be a problem? ))

1 Like

Leaves touching soil…no big deal.

BIG DEAL = nute burn…AND…no PH n PPM meter set …yet.

Meters are critical!!!
paper n liquid tests are worthless.

2 Likes

the one plant i did add nutrients too i did use the Recommended amount to use on the label. i do think i burned the one plant but i flushed over a week ago.

ppm meter & ph meter should get here before their next watering day.

but all the 4 other plants i havent added nutrients too still have that yellow tips on the lowest sets of leafs. even though i havent added nutes to any of the other 4 plants

They could be getting a little burn from the FFOF soul, that’s a very hot soil and normally you don’t need to add nutes until you start to flower.

1 Like

Calmag has been the only thing i have been adding to my distilled water. i have added 0 nutes to any of them in over a week. only 4mL of calMag at the most.

Ffof soil is hot you don’t need any nutrients till about a week before flower just give ph water until the plant looks hungry and then feed at a quarter strength and look for nute burn when you get it cut down the strength of the nutrients. I don’t like that soil because im not in control of the food and i don’t know what the plant has eaten and not eaten and have to play with your nutrients and keep a journal and notes so you can see what works and what doesn’t

1 Like

Botanicare’s Cal-Mag Plus is a calcium, magnesium, and iron nutrient supplement used for marijuana plants. It is typically used to correct calcium and magnesium deficiencies in marijuana plants. In this tutorial we’ll walk you through how to use Cal-Mag Plus with marijuana plants, including dosage, frequency, usage with coco coir, ingredients, and alternatives.

YOUR ANSWER IS " YES "

AND @tanlover442 is trying to tell you something…

2 Likes