First grow, need help!

That is great to hear @Driftboat if you ever need any opinions or suggestions on anything, just ask away mate, and welcome to the best growing froum and team and community support :v:always.

It’s good to know that if she dies it’s for a good cause. I have some seeds laying around so it would only mean about a week loss and a good learning experience. About that, damping off is a consequence of overwatering right?

2 Likes

Mine did something similar. Give it time and it might just push it off like mine did

2 Likes

It can be @Baapie but mostly it is humidity that let’s helps fungi to trive so we always have to be very careful in seedling stages please do keep me updated I loss one just last week also so I do understand your concern at the moment but I have 5 more and they are fine, sorry I should say that if your soil has been lying around for to long can be a starting point for them little terror,s.

It looks like the shell stayed on for a bit to long a first @Watt-Sun did it?

Yes it did. Matter of fact some of it is still stuck to the first leaf

1 Like

Sorry about the late reply @Watt-Sun, you could try and take it off very gently if you like or maybe spray it with some water to soften it that would help mate.

I just had another look it is a very strong and healthy seedling well done mate class.

1 Like

Yes, correct.

I use the peat pellets to start. That way for the first week or two I just keep the pellet moist and don’t have to dump water right around the stem. Many other ways work, that one is mine.

3 Likes

I also had a Damping off last week happen so fast and I hadn’t watered so I looked it up and I found that, over watering, Humidity, and also if you soil has been lying around in the wrong conditions it can be a cause but it’s all good to talk and explore these things together :v:.

2 Likes

I thought you had to put auto’s in their final pot straight away, or do you put these pellets in the final pot later?

@Baapie it’s recommended to transfer them as soon as they have established roots so they can finish in their final home with out stress.

3 Likes

Autos generally want to go straight to their final pot right away. If you use the peat pellets, they still work fine since you’re not disturbing the roots when you pot them.

2 Likes

Update 5th of April 2018
I followed your advice to cover up the stem. 3 days later she’s still alive and growing fastest out of 3 so I think she’ll make it! Thanks for the good advice!
I read somewhere that using a mild mixture of chamomile tea can get rid of the fungus that cause damping off. I haven’t given them water for 72 hours and I’m thinking of giving them this tea for the next period until they’re stable. I called them Huey, Dewey en Louie. Here’s some pictures, got nothing more to say really.

Huey (got stuck in the shell)

Dewey (was damping off)

Louie (going slow but steady)

11 Likes

Nice job. You spotted it early and dealt with it quickly.

2 Likes

I received a hygrometer today. The temperature is around 24°C/ 75°F but the lowest humidity I read was 27%, this seems a bit low :grimacing:. How do I up the humidity?

You need to put some kind of dome over your seedlings to raise RH. That should help.

3 Likes

Agree with raustin. I cut tops off Hawaiian punch big bottles. And cover until I see 3 tiers. Then its in full veg.

2 Likes

I use a mason jar. The glass seems to raise it pretty quick. Glad the stem worked for u. I do it with all mine wether there’s an issue or not. Makes for nice hearty stalks

1 Like

But don’t they need air? I cut some plastics bottles in half before but I added holes for air circulation. These seemed to dry out pretty quick and I had to keep spraying them on the inside to keep it hydrated.