First grow, need help!

Okay! She seems happy here in the sun

5 Likes

Looking good @Baapie

2 Likes

@Baapie she looks great in that sun shine for sure plenty of TLC and bring her to the end she might well surprise you in potency if not weight :v:️.

2 Likes

So I was about to do some LST this morning when I noticed these pistols on one of the plants and I also noticed she’s been shooting up rally fast the last few days. Does this mean she started pre-flowering? I’m not sure if I’m to happy about this because I hope she would veg another week. I still did the LST on 2 of the girls, the other one is still to short. Please give me any advice on how I have done and could improve if you have some, enjoy the pictures!

@Johnzy81 @Viktor7 @raustin @dbrn32 @anon95385719 @PhantomFarmer @Donaldj @blackthumbbetty
@mountainman1 @Covertgrower

Almost forgot, but happy 420 everyone! :triumph: :call_me_hand:

5 Likes

Looks like pistils in first pic.

1 Like

Just catching up with you. The lights closer to the plant are not always a bad thing. I just mainlined a Skywalker OG and it came out great and I had similar size limitations in my grow box. Keeping the light will allow the plant to grow in the roots but it will keep small inter-node spaces (a shorter plant).

Short inter-nodes will allow the plant to fully develop but not let it get too tall. I kept my LED as close as possible and it still outgrew the box. I had to switch to CFL bulbs in the end to let the plant finish. you can let the CFL bulbs get closer to the plant.

This is my grow if you want to look at it. I discuss the lighting a lot in the journal. The Force is Strong in this one!

I will be happy to share my experience with you as you keep going. Growing in small spaces takes a lot of give and take sometimes ! Good luck with your grow. Jerry :us: :man_farmer:

2 Likes

Yes those are preflowers. @Baapie looking good.

1 Like

definately pre flowers, she will stretch some now, so if your overhead space is limited now is the time to train her into a more horizontal plane to keep her low and open up the lower branches to the light.Are you still on veg light cycle? If so she will continue to grow until you do the flip to bud cycle. Even after the change of cycles she will continue to grow for the next 2 weeks or so before budding truly begins in earnest. All looks good.Keep up the great work.

3 Likes

Thanx for your info and interest! How close could you keep the light without harming the plants and what type of light did you use?

1 Like

I was thinking about topping to reduce height and it should be useful when doing a scrog. Is this the right time to do that? And since they are autos switching to bud cycle isn’t necessary right? Or could this still improve the yield or something

For an auto, if you decide to risk topping, you should do it before preflower/flower. Anything you do now will stunt your plants. Scrogs are great, but you have to start them at least a week before flower & you have to stop tucking once buds show-up.

If you really want to have fun topping & scrogging, photo period plants are the best choice. If you want fast growth on a set time table, autos are what you want.

3 Likes

I have the bulbs 4-5 inches away from the plant. The CFL bulbs are the curly Q shaped fluorescent light bulbs. I used 6 of them in a rack that I made myself with a piece of wood, 3 light bulb cords and 3 - 2 way splitters (y shaped ceramic fixtures) that allowed the bulbs to be held in place. I suspended the wood from the light hangars and plugged them into a timer. I used 100 watt equivalent (actually about 23 watts draw per bulb).

I will try to get a picture of my set-up as soon as possible. Right now I do not want to open my grow box as I have company and the plant really stinks when I open the box.

1 Like

Sorry Baape i forgot you were doing an auto. To get the most from an auto you really dont want to do anything that stresses or slows the plant in any way. Because the veg time with autos is so short you want to maximise any growth that you can so the plant can grow as much as it can. I accidently broke the main stem on a w/w auto and while the plant has recovered I feel i have lost some final yield because the plant went into repair mode for a few days and while that doesnt seem like much time, to an auto it is probably close to 1/6th of its veg time lost.

3 Likes

A picture would be nice, I was actually about to do something similar when I build my growroom! But I ended up buying an cheap Chinese LED, I might make it anyway in case I need it. What LED did you use before switching to the cfl bulbs?

This is what they look like now. I think I’ll put the scrog up in the next few days

1 Like

Here’s some pictures of the trichomes of the older plant. I couldn’t get any closer with this lens but I can see mostly milky and some amber.

If you zoom in at the back leaf you can see them pretty good

@Johnzy81 @Viktor7 @raustin @dbrn32 @anon95385719 @TxGrowman @Donaldj @blackthumbbetty
@mountainman1 @Covertgrower

1 Like

I can’t see any amber but I do see a good mix of clear and milky. I would say 1 more week or less

1 Like

Here ya go. It is a board that I drilled three holes through the same size as the light sockets just tight enough so they would not drop through. The “Y” adapters are at Home Depot or Lowe’s for a couple bucks each. Four Screw eyes allows you to attach to the light holder cables with a piece of wire or small rope. The lights are 100 watt equivalent (23 actual watts). You can make it into 1,2,3 or 4 holes depending on how much light you need. You can see that I took one daylight bulb out for finishing. The rest are 2.7 K bulbs and one daylight.

Pretty cheap to make and very durable. Hope that helps. Jerry

PS: sorry I missed it, My LED is a Mars Hydro 300 watt (about 140 watts actual).

The setup above was actually used to grow one entire grow. The bulbs were just changed from 5K to 2.7K when i flowered.

4 Likes

They’re coming along nicely @Baapie

1 Like

@TxGrowman Thanx man! Your pictures seem to be gone now but I saw them :wink:

I’m not sure if i’m doing this LST thing right . Seems like a mess of leaves to me but there are some younger stems coming up. I feel like it can be higher overall.

2 Likes