First grow, need help!

Hello everyone!

I finally started my first official grow and since I already have some questions I figured why not make a grow journal instead of making a topic for each question.

I’m growing 3 blue mystic auto from Nirvana in a 60x60x120cm grow room using a galaxyhydro 300w LED (DIY micro-growroom - #40 by Sirsmokes). All seeds have been germinated and 2 of them showed their heads yesterday. Here’s the first problem tho: one of the seedlings still has her seed housing on the leaves and it has been like this for the last 24 hours. I feel like she can’t get any light like this but I don’t know what to do. Will the leaves push the shell away eventually or do I need to help her?
I know they’re both stretching so I lowered the light from 70cm to 40cm distance from top of the seedling.

@Nug-bug @dbrn32 @Countryboyjvd1971 @raustin @Sirsmokes @TDubWilly @SmoknGranny

8 Likes

You can try to take off the seed shell with a tweezers and a steady hand, but don’t force it off with too much pressure, be gentle, and if it seems to not want to come off then just leave it and try again tomorrow.

8 Likes

If the appropriate medium is used and other growth factors well integrated, then, you need to watch the plants a little and observe.

2 Likes

I agree with @raustin, if you try be gentle. Otherwise it will eventually fall off or go with the starter leaves.

I have a 5 pack of those in my seed collection, hopefully they do well for you.

3 Likes

Agree with all above. A couple things I do for those seeds that do not want to let go: 1: When one comes up like that i spray the shell lightly with water and wait a day. I repeat for one day if no luck and then attempt removal but you have to be pretty gentle. Sometimes it softens up the shell and it comes off easier. 2: I started scratching the surface of my seeds (called scarification) with a nail file before soaking to germinating them. My last two grows no problems with seeds hanging on.

7 Likes

Agree, spray/mist water :sweat_drops: from spray bottle and it ought to loosen seed shell. I use a small wood twig/toothpick like to gently pry, however, don’t force it. I had a Gold Leaf that took 5 days for husk to fall off, ended up growing through the rough start to be a big producer, be patient.

good job getting the seeds to sprout.

3 Likes

Welcome to ILGM ! Good to see you starting a journal. There is a lot of good growers to help out with any problems you might have. Jerry :us: :man_farmer:

3 Likes

You got great advice, and welcome to ILGM! @Baapie

1 Like

Thank you all for the quick responses! It seems like the shell has been pushed off a little further than before so I’ll let her do her work for just a bit longer. It’s amazing to see how fast they grow!

1 Like

As a note for the future, I find if I plant the seed deep enough, the struggle through the soil knocks the shell off pretty well.

3 Likes

@raustin

Once again you have it covered…thumb

2 Likes

Quick update:
-Removed the shell with tweezers.
-Third seedling got above ground.
All going steady now!

7 Likes

Right on @Baapie glad you got the direction you needed
I had a few do the same and it was a bit scary but she looks well on her way
Welcome to the community and happy growing

3 Likes

So I checked on my plants this morning and I noticed one of them has a small indent at the stem where there’s no hairs. I’m afraid this could be first signs of damping off but I could be paranoid. Any thoughts?

I’d be worried, too. Water it away from the stem and maybe give it a support of some kind. Popsicle stick or something. You could mound soil deeper, too.

3 Likes

Add soil to the top and bury most of the stem u see. It should grow it’s own roots and b ok. Good luck

5 Likes

After covering that part of the stem let the soil dry out a good bit before watering again as well. Next time add some Silica too to help strengthen the stem.

3 Likes

@Baapie i just saw your tag but seems your in good hand here welcome to the forum

1 Like

That is a classic example of Damping Off I’m sorry to see that and I hope it turns around for you with the great advice our follow growers have given you in the posts above @Baapie, you have also done a great thing for posting that photo because all off the new people and growers to the forum can see these thing the goofs and the bands, or the up and downs but it all great for experience fir everyone and thank you for that mate :v:.

3 Likes

Welcome Baapie, Im still newbe roaming around this site , and the more things go wrong with my girls the more I learn and not to do, good luck

3 Likes