First grow looking for support

Personally I would suggest you pot up into a known soil or media and use fabric pots. Either a 5 or 7 gallon if in soil. This will greatly aid in runoff when you water (which is a good thing).

4 Likes

All i use is fabric. Big roots big fruits. @Myfriendis410. Lets oxygen to the roots zone I think I m right. I never talk about this stuff i just grow on my own for years. This site is amazing. Grow ur own stay medicated.

2 Likes

Thanks for the help guys. I ran out of replies last night as I was a day one user. I dont think I want to repot right now, but in the future I plan on using the fabric pots. Am I on the right track with my plant? Looking ok?

I had some edges of leaves curling up after I lowered the light so I raised it back up. Funny thing is it seemed to grow more but has the leaf curling issue. If anything I should just let the plant grow up to the light I think.

1 Like

Welcome to ILGM forum @virgo tag someone like I did you to get their attention! First thing you do not want your plant standing in water! As was mentioned, you do not know the soil it is in so do a soil slurry and see what the #s PPM/TDS and PH are. It will need to be up potted soon for max growth potential! Take the time to check this out for us, so we can make a better decision to help you

Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so; Or post
NA (non applicable)

• What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed
  • Method: Soil w/salt, Organic soil, Hydroponics, Aquaponics, KNF
  • Vessels: Pots, Grow beds, Buckets, Troths
  • PH of Water, Solution, runoff (if Applicable)
  • PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable
  • Indoor or Outdoor
  • Light system
  • Temps; Day, Night
  • Humidity; Day, Night
  • Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size
  • AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,
  • Co2; Yes, No

Always try to upload a clear picture of any issues you may have to allow the community to assist you.

Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer should be included. Feel free to elaborate, but short and to the point questions and facts will help us help you in a more efficient manner :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Holmes Got the tagging down. Thanks for the info.

One question regarding the pot? it isnt too late to repot at this point? The person I got it from said that I could just leave it in there. Id rather not take a chance of messing that up if it wasn’t fully necessary. I kinda thought it was a little small when I got it, but figured the guy who gave it to me would know.

Here we go.
Soil Slurry came out to 180ppm (tested 2x) 6.2ph The PPM seems way low to me.

Strain: White Widow
Method: Soil
Vessel: Pot

PH of Water: 7.2 Solution:6.0 Runoff: 5.7 (thats tough to gauge because the runoff is awfully dark)

PPM of Solution: first feeding with nutes (FF BigBloom 1.5tsp/.5 gallon, Grow Big .5tsp/.5 gallon): 581ppm / runoff: 750ppm

second watering (recharge .25tsp/.5 gallon, calmag, molasses both .5tsp/.5 gallon) 372ppm / Runoff: 700ppm

Indoor grow
Light: VIPARSPECTRA PAR600 600W 12-Band LED Grow Light @ 30"
Temps Day Avg 73-77 Night down to 68
Humidity Day avg 52 Night same (screenshot of temps below)
Vent: no
Humidifier: yes
Co2: no\

I ordered a digital ph tester because Im having a hard time with drops and colors being consistent.

looking pretty good to me still!

2 Likes

Size of the pot should be chosen with several variables in mind, How big is grow area, how big do you want them to get, what lighting you have, expected yield, among others. PPMs of slurry did seem very low, normally you use a slurry test to find #s of the soil before using( now you have that tool to help in future grows)! Your input PH should be between 6.2-6.8 with 6.5 being sweet spot, at this stage (mid veg. 3-4 weeks from rooting?) your PPMs going in are about right, Your light probably has 60 10watt LEDs or 120 5watt LEDs thus the 600watts but the actual draw is - Avg. Power Draw: 274W±3%(pasted in from VS website). So you have a 274 watt light- fan power and heat loss so maybe 220-230w of actual lighting, just so you know! What is your grow area like, dimensions, surrounding area? Pics?

@Holmes My grow area is a closet that I built a door for that juts out from the opening to give it more room front to back. But theres plenty of room in there to do whatever I want with it. At least 4 feet wide and 3 ft deep I have to play with, which is bigger than the footprint of that light. Was planning on trying to scrog it, because I know that light isnt the most powerful and figured that would help getting some nice growth area.

Ty for the calculations with the light. That was another thing I was having a hard time wrapping my head around.

As for the pot, Ill def need to pot up. When I took the tray off the bottom I had some root growth coming out. So its time. I have a bag of FF ocean soil that I planned to use when I first got the plant. Should I use that or get something without nutrients in it as Im already into my own feeding schedule. And I think probably a 7gallon pot might work well. One of those fabric ones. And I dont mind waiting a while for it to be in veg so it can grow more. Im in no rush.

1 Like

What is the silver lining made of? I would go ahead and up pot with the FFOF and 7gal. bag, do a slurry test and from what I hear you should be able to get by on just water for at least a month or more, maybe some cal-mag added. You will need to be totally light proof before flowering if the area isn’t already! With 12 sqft you are at ± 20w sqft which will veg ok but you really need more to form big dense buds. Oh yeah, was going to say something earlier and forgot(stoned) I am a Virgo also!

@Holmes

The silver is this : VIVOSUN Horticulture Highly Reflective Mylar Film.
The room itself it completely light proof. WIndows are totally blacked out.
And now I see how you calculate that. I was going by 600W before. Maybe if I did 3x3 or so it would help. I know that the light isnt the best but I had to start somewhere. I liked the idea of the LED so heat wouldnt be as much of an issue.

And Im a Virgo by name. Not by sign. Lol. But I do get that alot!!

You guys are awesome too! This is exactly what I was missing. Some actual conversation.

2 Likes

Light is like the food for a plant and when indoors you don’t light the plant your light your area! A 3x3 would get you in the 25w sqft range which is better and if you want to SCROG that will help bring the lower buds up to the canopy. You will do ok and get some valuable experience from your first grow. The knowledge base on this forum is unbelievable and the people want to see others succeed. Roam around and spread some likes around and make some posts get to know the community, I think you will like it here!

2 Likes

Thank you Holmes. I am embarking on my first grow also.
hero mix was delivered this week along with a nutrients package.
I am stuck on a tent and equipment.
I am in Chicago and will be growing in my basement.
Do you think this would work:

VIVOSUN Grow Tent Kit Complete, 24"x24"x48" Grow Tent Complete System with VS1000 Led Grow Light, 4 Inch 190CFM Inline Fan, Carbon Filter and 8ft Ducting Combo

And adding Vivosun PH and TDS meters?
What do you think?
I appreciate the input

Rick

1 Like

Sure it will work but research lst because you will run into height restrictions quick if not 
plants strech 2 to 3 times there size when you flip so you will want to either learn training techniques or flower your plants right away

So maybe go 60"?

MARS HYDRO Grow Tent Kit Complete 2.3x2.3ft TS1000W LED Grow Light Dimmable Full Specturm Indoor Grow Tent Complete System, 27"x27"x63" Hydroponics Grow Tent Kit 1680D with 4” Ventilation Kit

Oh if you havent purchased yet definitely go atleast 60 in if you can go bigger I would sux being confined when your growing takes off
 since it’s in basement 
how tall is your ceiling?

8’
 taller huh?

The 4 inch is ample for a larger tent dont fall for the need to be able to evacuate 400 cf of air in 1 minute totally unnecessary it swings humidity and temps kicking on and off the 4 inch you can kinda run low alot more often to keep climate regulated ecslecially if your not gonna run ac you need to be able to keep temps in check 
and lights get hot some hotter then others if you buy small lights and have to buy more 
then you will be producing extra heat waste and things like that go nice or buy twice once you do a few runs and get into it your definitely gonna wish you went a lil higher quality on lights
 dont go purple light route look into hlg lights in a 2 x 2 a qb 260 kit or 2 135 kits would be a waaay better option for not a whole lot more money full spectrum white lights 
hlg trumps mars every time 
dont get me wrong there are a few nicer mars lights but they start getting up to the hlg prices when the quality rises in mars

1 Like

I can find taller tents but I like the packages so I don’t forget anything
lol
The taller ones come with 300 W lights and the 60" has a 1,000 W. I don’t mind spending some $$$ as I am older and not hurting.

8 is perfect you gotta think your light is gonna hang about minimum 1.5 to 2 feet from ceiling so that leaves u 5 to 5.5 feet to grow 1 foot of bucket leaves 4 foot plants in a 8 foot tent rougly

I want atleast 12 to 18 inches from light to canopy top