First grow! Jumping into Hydroponics with Autos. Please send tips!

Hey guys so this will be my first grow. I’ll be documenting this as a beginner and would love some input from the community! So here’s what I’m working with. AC infinity grow tent (24”x48”x60”), AC infinity 6” fan and carbon filter, MixJoy GL-4000s grow light. And I’m working with some Gelato Autos x10. I’ll be posting pics as I progress and show some pics of my DiY’d hydro setup. Thanks in advance for and helpful criticism and tips!

1 Like

So here we are at day 4, introduce light at 40% power and 33” away due to heat.

2 Likes

They look so pale … stretching too, starting in hydro ?

1 Like

And here is day 5 which is today

2 Likes

Much better , still stretching, what light are you running?

Yea they were super pale, I didn’t introduce the light on time like I was supposed to from what I read but now they are getting some color to them, kinda red’ish. I messed up already starting them in peat pellets. I didn’t know those were a bad idea for a hydro system. Read it could fall apart and clog the system. So now I’m wondering how and when should I transfer these to net cups.

1 Like

Running a MixJoy GL-4000s at 40% power, 33” away. Should I increase power or lower the light? I was worried about temps.

1 Like

Run it at 100% at that distance

1 Like

Ok turning it up, what temp is too hot? I’ve got the probe at plant level.

You have a fan ?as long is not above 82

1 Like

turn your light down & lower it that way you’ll save on your electric bill & life of your light. I don’t know your light so can’t advise how far to lower or the power. I usually put my hand at the height of the plant & feel for heat on the back of my hand. Their babies so not much on the heat.

2 Likes

Ok so lowered light level to 30% and set at 25”. Found a guy who used the same light with success at that level in the beginning stages. I am worried about this one girl who is soo curved. Temps at 74 and humidity at 73%

1 Like

U can lrobably cut the netting off and put the roots and dirt end in the bucket and see if tge water will wash the roots off. Have ur new media ready to go. If rockwool soak it in phd water for 15 to 30 mins to get ph going and when soaked ring out the cube just a super light squeeze add plant and pray

2 Likes

So when should I start to introduce nutes? I’m growing Gelato Autos. Also can someone advise me on the stages of Autos? When am I considered to be in veg? Like how many weeks from seed? Also how long are they gonna be in veg till flower?

1 Like

In hydro you start nutes right away. The stages are the same as photos just different time frame. I consider vegging starting after the first set of true leaves. Weeks from seed is veriable from plant to plant (same strain diffferent phenotype). Auto’s flower when they feel like it so there isn’t a good answer. When starting your nutes run them lightly like 1/2 to 3/4 of your feed chart, after the roots hit the water (hand water till they do) I do the full feed chart. Most people don’t feed auto’s that heavily but I do. Sorry I didn’t reply sooner but I got a new tent & have been busy playing with it, still several days of play left. PITA.

2 Likes

Thanks for the Info, I’m on day 7 and the second set of true leaves have started. Roots haven’t hit the water yet. I’ll start tomorrow with 1/4 power nutes and keep an eye for burn. I’m using GH nutes and I’m pretty sure their numbers are from a 1000w grow set up. I’ve got 450w so I’ll work up to 50% and see how they respond. Does it sound like a good plan? I’m new to this and I’ve been researching endlessly and reading threads like crazy. Everyone’s seem to got their own twist on grows in hydro. But I think I’ve got the basics. I’ve just gotta see my ppm,ec,tds, and ph change with the feeding to get a better feel for how things should go. Hopefully I have a good first grow. I’ve got 3 little one in cups with mini air stones separately from the main system till the 4x4x80 tent comes back in stock. I hope they don’t stunt too much. I’ll upload update pics tomorrow!

2 Likes

I use GH also & at 1/4 you won’t see any burn. PH is super crucial I watch it everyday. When I’m using full (expert series GH) I look at the PPM alot & man it really eats alot, in 2 days it can fall from 1400 to 1000 depending on what stage of growth it’s in. I use hydroclay & flushing once in a while, like between different growth stages seems to help. An your right everybody has different ways of doing this. It’s still new to me but I’ve done a ton of reading & first few were LARFY buds & now their rocks.

2 Likes

Some update pics. Haven’t been able to start feeding yet as it’s now over a week and my ph is at 6.4 in my original water. I went and got another exact same tote and I’m preparing it now with fresh water and 1/4 nutes.

2 Likes

your jumping in with both feet. I do 1 or 2 at a time still, but I don’t need any more than that for now. Been screwing around with cloning lately & giving them away cuz there’s a limit on plants in Missouri. It’s easier than I thought it would be.

1 Like

So Day 19 here! Plants seem to be doing great. Did have a bit of discoloration and spotting but that was due to not starting nutes fast enough. The growth has exploded since feeding. About to give a second week of nutes maybe tomorrow. So I do have a question for you guys. Is my PPM supposed to go down or up as the plants eat? I started off at 550ppm and 5.5ph and in 6 days after giving nutes I’m at 910ppm and 5.8ph. I know plants have waste but I just figured I’d be going the other way lol. Idk someone make it make sense to me please.

2 Likes