First Grow From Beginning to End

All good thoughts @dbrn32, I am using an industrial automation controller and can do almost anything that you can imagine. If I can get the room warm enough, I can even setup a PID control loop and modulate the fan speed to hold a specific temperature although this is over kill for a grow room. The only two parameters that I am unable to fully automate are humidity and pH due to the cost of reasonably good quality sensors. I need either 4- 20 ma or 0 - 10 vdc signals to automate these things and the sensors that I have found are well over $100. There are some other ways of accomplishing this that I may explore over time. I have been fortunate to be able to get most of my control hardware at no cost and I do all of the programming myself. Additionally, the pH sensors need to be calibrated quite often so they are a pain.

It is worth noting that there are some very low end sensors out of China that are designed for Arduino and RPi but they are not scaled and ranged properly for the kind of controller that I have resulting in low accuracy. They only cost about $10 - $15. In a bind I would use one of them.

My problem with temperature is that I need more heat in the room (it is on it’s way). I just never expected to need more heat. I thought (incorrectly) that the lights would provide more heat than needed and that I would need to scrub heat, not add heat. Live and (hopefully) learn.

1 Like

Not sure if you remember us discussing, but I’m also familiar with plc’s. If you’re using a standard ac fan you would need a frequency drive or damper to get the control you can get out of the dc fans. I’m sure you’re familiar, but the reason I mentioned is because you’re going through periods of no exchange at all right?

1 Like

@dbrn32 I have a small VFD driving it. It doesn’t have the range that a 3 phase or a dc drive would have but it is enough for what I need and it was free. :smiley:

2 Likes

Free is always good!

2 Likes

Your did a calculated risk for sure and it’s all good. Try to keep an eye on the plants and monitor closely. But with some outlines given on how to ensure good growth, I think you are not doing bad at all at the mo!

1 Like

I am rewiring and reprogramming the controls for my grow room…getting stoned at the same time.

What could possibly go wrong?:rofl:

Update: The system is back in operation without incident :+1:

6 Likes

NOTHING!!! trust me on this!
here!puff pass

6 Likes

Day 50 update: I have my temperature issues under control now, cycling between 75 F and 83 F (measured 5’ above the floor). This is keeping the canopy temperature right around 77 F. May need to fine tune the set points over the next couple of days.:writing_hand:

They seem to have survived all of my errors so far…:grin:
@Niala @neckNflu @Donaldj @Flyr @Momtomask @Countryboyjvd1971 @Covertgrower @Myfriendis410 @Rugar89 @ReMolu

11 Likes

@dbrn32 @raustin @mulegal @BIGE @elheffe702 @SilentHippie @Greasemonkey @garrigan62 @timmyv324
I think they are going to like the much warmer temperatures. Previously the highs were hovering around 70 F +/-. The heater will arrive in a day or so and will allow me to keep the lows up around 66 F or 67 F rather than the low 60’s that I have had.

5 Likes

They are looking very happy Merlin!!!

1 Like

plants are looking great. happy and healthy.

1 Like

They look nice and healthy, getting very bushy. Excellent.

1 Like

I can verify that cannabis would prefer it warmer. I’m considering a supplemental heater as well. @merlin44

1 Like

With the warmer environment, I suspect that my next grow will be a bit further along for the same period.

You would be correct @merlin44 my last grow, I didn’t even weigh, but it got cold in there, and they weren’t happy. I was equally rewarded. On to the next one! I’ll tag you soon, after I finish something…

2 Likes

Look`n pretty dam good their my friend

2 Likes

Thank you, @garrigan62. With the help from all of you folks I may actually get a bit of decent bud from my first effort. I am having a lot of fun learning how to grow MJ and I really appreciate the tutelage on this forum.

3 Likes

Day 51 Update:
All plants growing 1/2" - 1" per day, all plants are nearly twice as wide as they are tall - no LST or SCROG (yet).

When leaves are very close to each other or touching, a wet spot forms on each of the affected leaves. Temp 77 F, rH 30% - 40%.

New temperature controls are working perfectly. Canopy temperature is rock solid at 77 F.

No signs of pre-flower pistils (fortunately no signs of balls either), been a little concerned about possible stress due to low temperatures until a couple days ago.

Still not sure when to trim away fan leaves, which/how many leaves to remove. They seem to be doing well and I don’t want to inhibit them at this point. Still considering taking some clone cuttings from the bottom of each plant. Maybe just before or just after flipping to flower. Suggestions?

May need to flip to flower a little earlier than anticipated due to lateral spread.
Yet another assumption that I got wrong - had thought I could grow 10 or more plants in my 8’ X 8’ room. Will be nearly full with the 5 plants that I have going. Could handle 6 plants easily. Maybe 8 if I removed my chair and small table (but then I couldn’t sit and get stoned while they slurp up light).:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
@dbrn32 @Countryboyjvd1971 @neckNflu @Niala @Donaldj
@garrigan62 @Covertgrower @raustin @ReMoLu @elheffe702

7 Likes

Taking them during veg they’ll usually root a little faster and start to grow sooner. If you wait til they’re flowering, that’s considered monster cropping. Both have their ups and downs, if you have room maybe try some of both?

4 Likes

Excellent suggestion @dbrn32.:+1: I do have the room and will give that a try. Thx.

5 Likes