First Grow From Beginning to End

I thought that same thing myself. I wish I had found this forum and website earlier, but even since I found the site ,a year or so prior to me joining, I’ve gotten better each grow and I’ve thought that I’ve saved myself at least a year if not more of learning and experience. All because of this forum. It’s pretty cool.

3 Likes

Day 35 appended update: I gave WW2 and GL2 a half dose of FF nutes two days ago. The others were given an equal amount of pH adjusted water.
At this point there is no noticeable difference between the fed and unfed plants. The two that got nutes have never been trimmed or cut in any way. All of the other have been either FIM’d or topped.
I have also seen no ill effects from the feeding. When it is time to water again, I may go ahead and feed everyone (every other watering actually). I have the nutes on hand and if there have been no negative effects, there is minimal risk to doing this.

All of the plants are consuming much more water than just a few days ago.

I think that they will really start growing in the next few days. With lights raised to 36", I am seeing some evidence of a bit of stretch. Will monitor this.

@Niala @neckNflu @Donaldj @Flyr @Momtomask @Countryboyjvd1971 @Covertgrower @Myfriendis410 @Rugar89 @ReMolu

8 Likes

@merlin44, it’s good to see things still going in the correct direction for you Merlin. Our GL babies are the same age. I’ve noticed similar progress even though each plant looks different, similar to yours. When do you water? AM or PM?. I wonder if it even matters?

Maybe your wife would partake with an edible as apossed to smoking it? I believe that’s the only way my girlfriend will try some.

1 Like

@Flyr I water in the afternoon when my lights have been on for 1 1/2 to 3 hours. My lights come on at 3 PM (during veg) and I generally get home between 4:30 and 6 PM.

Ideally I would water at 2:45 PM (just before lights on) but my work schedule does not support that. I hate it when work interferes with my dope growing or golf.:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

As far as wife and dope goes, I think some edibles is a good idea. I just need to learn how to make them.

2 Likes

Yeah, you’re as bad as me Merlin.

1 Like

Grow Summary To Date: 5 1/2 weeks since sprouting

Disclaimer: This is my first grow of any kind and I do not know if what I am seeing is typical, good or not so good.
I am just reporting the facts.

(2) Feminized White Widow & (3) Feminized Gold Leaf (all ILGM seeds)/
(2) Dimgogo 2000W lights (356 watts each) plus four LED flood lights (15 watts each) 18/6 during veg.
Three parts “Gardener’s Gold” soil, One part pure worm castings in 10 gallon nursery pots.

Disclaimer: This is my first grow of any kind and I do not know if what I am seeing is typical, good or not so good.
I am just reporting the facts.

Time Line: Jan 27 put 6 seeds in tap water to soak overnight
Jan 28 planted seeds in small fiber starter pots filled with soil under a dome under a 30 watt LED panel
Misted the surface of the soil each day and maintained temperature in the low '70s and humidity in the low 90’s
Jan 31 & Feb 1 Five of the six seeds sprouted, one White Widow failed to sprout
Feb 3 Plants seemed to be stretching so put a 185 watt LED into service 18" above seedlings
Feb 10 Moved plants from started pots to 2 gallon nursery pots (soil as described above)
This was a bit early but roots were growing out of the sides and bottoms of the starter pots
Will use Solo cups in the future, the starter pots were not so good
This was when I got my pH meter and realized that my pH was WAY too high (7.6)
Did a pH 5.8 mini flush, runoff at 7.0, all water adjusted to 5.8 to 5.9 since that time.
All five plants are 2.5 to 3.0 inches tall at this point, with the second set of leaves just coming out
Feb 15 Light at 15", too close, raised light to 20", three nodes on each plant
Feb 20 Plants 3.5" - 5" tall with 4 to 5 nodes - FIM’d GL3 and Topped GL1, GL2 will remain uncut as a control
The White Widows only have 3 - 4 nodes, will wait to FIM
Feb 21 Lights still too low, raised to 28"
Feb 23 Noticed slight yellowing in the leaf tips of one Gold Leaf plant
Soil pH at 7.2 - flushed with 5.9 water until runoff was at 6.7
Plant 4" to 6" tall with 4 or 5 nodes each
Feb 24 Less yellow, deeper green - pH flush worked!
Mar 1,2 Plants are 4 weeks old, 5" - 8" tall and getting bushy and roots growing out of the bottom of pots
Transplanted to 10 gallon nursery pots (soil as described above) and watered with pH 5.8 (1 gallon each)
Mar 5 Fed Gl2 and WW2 1/2 strength Fox Farms trio to see if there is a benefit
FIM’d WW3 at 5 nodes, WW2 will remain uncut as a control
Mar 9 Plants are 37 days old
White Widow plants 7.5" and 8" tall and 12" - 15" wide
Gold Leaf plants 9.5" - 12" tall and 22" - 24" wide
This information is being presented for other new growers so they can have a point of reference to determine how thier grows are doing.
Your grow may do better than mine (I hope) or it may being a bit behind mine.

The key things that I have learned so far:
1. Determine what pH is and get it into the correct range for your medium!
2. While lots of light is important, too much light can inhibit vertical growth
3. The folks on the ILGM forum are an invaluable resource

This summary is my (small) way of giving back to a group (ILGM forum) that has been so helpful in getting my first grow off to a decent start. I will post a photo next…

@Niala @neckNflu @Donaldj @Flyr @Momtomask @Countryboyjvd1971 @Covertgrower @Myfriendis410 @Rugar89 @ReMolu

7 Likes

This photo accompanies the summary in the previous post.

@dbrn32 @raustin @mulegal @BIGE @elheffe702 @SilentHippie @Greasemonkey @garrigan62 @timmyv324 @highcountrygal

13 Likes

@merlin44 Good morning! What a group of happy, healthy, honeys and sweet too! Lookin’ good with your Magic merlin44

2 Likes

Excellent summary, @merlin44. Your girls are showing your love back at you cause they look beautiful. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Ill agree with the ladies the look gorgeous keep up the good work :wink: :v:CB

3 Likes

looking good @merlin44

Thanks for the kind words @merlin44 and they look great.

1 Like

They look good @merlin44 keep me posted

1 Like

Excellent summary! You are doing a fantastic job @merlin44 and I agree 100% - everyone on this forum is super helpful and the wealth of information and support is astounding! Congrats from one newbie to another! Jeb

2 Likes

Just noticed that one of my Gold Leaf plants has yellow leaf tips on newer growth (not the really new growth).

I am studying the guide section looking for a likely cause.

About 5 1/2 weeks old, indoor, soil, no nutrients added. LED lights at 28" above canopy. Temp 70 F, rH 70%.

I will get a photo later today (must play golf first). So far, everything points to nutrient burn but this plant has only received pH adjusted water (5.8 as my soil is 7.2). pH has been a struggle from the beginning so may flush this afternoon even though it is not time for watering.

It is only the very tips of the leaves (so far), I am not super worried about this but need to get it corrected before it becomes worse.

@Niala @neckNflu @Donaldj @Countryboyjvd1971 @Covertgrower @Rugar89 @dbrn32 @raustin @BIGE @garrigan62

2 Likes

Remind me what soil your in
Picture in natural light @merlin44 but golf is important too lol
I wouldn’t stress out to much yet especially if it only the tips on a few leaves
I was going to nute burn as well
Tag me when you post a picture

4 Likes

My soil is called “Gardener’s Gold” and I combine 1 part pure worm castings to 2 parts soil.

All of the articles would suggest nute burn as well. I will get some readings this afternoon. As is said, only pH adjusted water for this plant. No feeding yet.

2 Likes

Feeding may not be needed with that soil
Post picture before you do anything so we can take a good look try to get a few different angles so we can see over all healthy etc
Oh good @garrigan62 is posting let see what he says

2 Likes

@merlin44

That soil looks like it may be to hot for seedlings what’s the N P K on the bag ?

Will

3 Likes

These plants are 38 days from sprouting, will post photos this afternoon.

The soil bag does not list the NPK. Yeah, this soil is a bit on the hot side.:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like