First Grow From Beginning to End

You’ve topped them right? That causes more horizontal growth than vertical. Also if you top earlier in grow it seems to take a little longer to resume vertical growth in my experience too.

2 Likes

I had considered your point @dbrn32…but…That was one of the reasons to leave a couple natural, to see what the difference was. The ones that were topped and FIM’d are actually a tiny bit taller. Go figure?

1 Like

I did see what you describe, I FIM’d one gold leaf at the fifth node and (erroneously) topped the other gold leaf at four nodes. The one topped at four nodes did take a bit longer to start growing vertically again but the natural (uncut) one is still behind both that got trimmed.

Oh, I missed that you had them several ways within your own garden. It’s hard to compare different methods in different grows.

What are the lights they’re under again?

1 Like

I am running two Dimgogo 2000W (356 watts each) plus a four LED floods (mostly to make photos nicer) at about 15 watts each. The lights have been between 25 and 30 inches above the plant tops.

No switches or dimmers on them right? Raise the lights as high as you can for a couple days, should help them get legs a little. If not, you can try curtting back to one light.

3 Likes

Currently I can go to nearly 6 feet above the canopy top, is that too high or should I go for it?

1 Like

I was just going to comment the same thing you wrote. The easiest thing is to probably raise the lights like you said @dbrn32. They look really great @merlin44. They’re healthy they got a great color.
I think that’s awesome you’re running a control. That in itself is going to tell you tons for future grows… Even though it seems confusing now I would say they’re just kind of each doing their own thing. I know we always discuss different phenotypes and things but you’re right I would figure the untouched plant would shoot straight up more so. Interested to see what else you learned. Thanks for sharing buddy

2 Likes

Not sure, I would maybe go to 4’ or so and see what happens first.

2 Likes

When I get home this evening will raise them to 4’ and continue to monitor. I measure and record plant height, temp, rH and light height every morning plus I keep a written log of what I have done (water, feed, transplant, trim, etc) and observed each day.:mag::writing_hand:

1 Like

Nice! Shouldn’t be hard to see a trend then after a couple days.

2 Likes

Most of the posts reveal plants that need more light. I may have over done it.

I have another 600 watts (actual) standing by in case I need it…Geez!

1 Like

Ya, I agree. You’ll want that during flower though. Most people don’t have that kind of height to work with either, so those short squatty plants are preferred.

2 Likes

I’m going to try and do as well as you’re doing @merlin44 when I start my first grow Journal. I’m going to try and be as diligent as you are and write everything down then share it with the community. Great job buddy.
Not kidding if we didn’t start around the same time as each other I would think you’ve done this at least a dozen times. I know you worry just as I do about some things but that’s not necessarily a bad thing (I dont think ha). Look at your results. I think they speak for themselves.
I’m sure that raising the lights a little bit will probably help. At the very least if it doesn’t do much for your vertical growth you can rule that out as one solution. Mark it in your journal and then move on to something else, if need be.
Hope you figure it out ASAP. thanks for the good posts I’m learning right along with you. :+1::deciduous_tree:

2 Likes

It’s better to have more than not enough. You never know down the road you might want to slap that on and start using it.

1 Like

My plan is to set up a veg area, a flower area, and a propagation area. I have the luxury of enough dedicated space and an understanding wife (who had never smoked pot or anything else).:grinning:

6 Likes

That is terrific. And as in my case you hit the nail on the head with the wife. As of right now I have a decent size storage room that my wife allows me to use but that’s it. So I have to veg and flower in the same room. So my turnaround times are slow. That’s creates a juggling of keeping little clones alive or timing seeds for when the rooms are done, etc. Don’t get me wrong I’m not complaining. It’s just I dream of having two rooms to grow in. When you get that set up you’re going to love it I’m sure.

1 Like

My wife does not smoke or consume marijuana at all either. She’s in good health, thank God, knock on wood. But she also gets drug tests at her work. I told her when she retires she’s got to fire it up with me. Haha

1 Like

We don’t have the testing issue (as a partner in the business I am not subject to drug testing). My wife had expressed a tentative willingness to try MJ when I our first harvest is ready for consumption. We will see…:thinking:

1 Like

Awesome.
I think my wife would like to indulge and watch a movie. We like to watch TV and movie shows together. It’ll be awhile before she gets to retire though and try that.
good luck. It sounds like you have a nice set up going. Keep up the good work.

1 Like