First Grow From Beginning to End

Without letting this thread drift too far off topic, a raspberry pi is a single board computer. Has everything you need on one card for cheap. That said, not too powerful but great for a ton of things, also has a lot of input and output connections, wifi and so on. That said, if you don’t have experience in programming, physical computing or electronics then a raspberry pi is a great way to learn those skills but you’ll need a few months at least of learning and working to get to the point that you can consider automating a grow in a reliable and safe way. Not saying it’s impossible, just that it’s a journey to get to the point where that can be taken on as a project.

2 Likes

It is just fine as this is my grow journal @SquidGrow.

I welcome any sort of discussion so have at it…

3 Likes

So happy for you @merlin44 - your plants looks amazing! You are going to have an incredible harvest! :deciduous_tree::relaxed::+1:t3:

1 Like

Thanks @SquidGrow I’m interested, but it seems like it’s quite the journey just to understand how it functions. If I had enough time after things settle down.

1 Like

@Covertgrower if you have any experience programming you should be able to figure out both the Arduino and the Raspberry Pi with no difficulty.
While they are very similar the Arduino is a bit better suited to controlling real world devices and the Raspberry Pi is a bit better suited to handling communications and media.
Both platforms have a great deal of sample code that you can look at and/or modify to learn how to get the thing to do the things that you want it to do.

These devices are designed to be used for educational purposes but are capable of actually doing useful things. I don’t have any first hand experience with Arduino but have configured and programmed a Raspberry Pi to display a reader board (with image slideshow) on our office lobby TV.

If you get one of the kits, I would suggest you could be up and running (something simple) in less than 4 hours.

You can get a fairly complete development kit for either for under $100 US. Good luck and have fun.

2 Likes

I have no experience in programming, but I have lots of experience with wire diagrams for troubleshooting equipment for the maintenance field. I typically do building maintenance, and occasionally work on mechanical equipment. @merlin44 As long as I had diagrams I could probably do it. After I move… :wink:

1 Like

Of that, @Covertgrower, I have absolutely no doubt!

The programming background would mostly get you past the intimidation factor that many people experience when exposed to computer insides. Your work with industrial equipment and wiring diagrams will serve you very well, indeed.

You could have something doing something in no time flat!

2 Likes

Sixteen days in to 12/12 light schedule I am gearing up for harvest, dry and cure.

My old postal scale is totally inadequate, do any of you have recommendation for a really nice scale? I have looked at a couple that are rather cheaply made and get mixed reviews.

@dbrn32 @raustin @BIGE @elheffe702 @Countryboyjvd1971 @Momtomask @Myfriendis410 @Rugar89 @ReMolu @garrigan62

1 Like

I’ve had a few and could probably find something I didn’t like about all of them. If you want accuracy, I would suggest getting something that you’re able to calibrate. Check instructions for weights needed and make sure you get them too.

1 Like

I have a Cuisinart. I love it

3 Likes

Agreed, proper calibration is crucial.:+1:

I am thinking 1000 g plus capacity with 0.01 gram accuracy, does seem reasonable to you?

Has anyone tried one of these?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I1QYULE/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01I1QYULE&pd_rd_wg=Pee5g&pd_rd_r=NJBNGX7B3AZNV80KFSTH&pd_rd_w=pYedE
@Niala @neckNflu @Donaldj @Flyr @SilentHippie @Covertgrower @Greasemonkey @timmyv324 @Viktor7

1 Like

Thx @anon95385719 I will check that one out.

It’s awesome Does grams oz and lb

1 Like

@merlin44 I purchased a scale to measure roughly and exactly. There’s two scales in one, one measures a maximum of 25lbs and minimum 1 gram. The smaller side measures as little as .01grams. Not sure if you need to measure that small. I can’t recommend the scale as it’s unavailable on amazon anymore. It’s an option to consider to save you from purchasing two scales.

2 Likes

Thank you @Covertgrower I want to identify the most appropriate scale so I don’t end up spending a bunch of money of ineffective, poorly built, or under spect’d devices.

Update: I have found and ordered a digital scale

Out of likes, but want to share what you decided with? I might want an upgrade sometime. Haha. @merlin44

1 Like

@Covertgrower I would like to but not sure it is OK as it was not available on Amazon.

3000 g capacity, 0.01 g accuracy 0.03 g repeatability 5.25" tray comes with cal weights.
About $72 US

1 Like

No worries @merlin44 it sounds like a great scale though. Calibration weights are a necessity for accuracy, I’m as particular as you are on that.

1 Like

I only have a teeny scale my kids use to check their street bought weed to see if they got ripped off :roll_eyes: I can’t imagine needing one for pounds!!

3 Likes

I have no idea what to expect but need to be prepared, “Go Big or Go Home” LOL

2 Likes