First Grow From Beginning to End

No, nothing comes out of the hole.

Yes, you can do two holes. You can drill another hole above the first and going in a 45° angle of the first hole, so you have two holes intersecting, sort of.

1 Like

What, specific differences do you see between drilling and not drilling?

Just curious…

Trichs turn quickly. It’s best to stop the plant when the smell is the strongest. U have the best combo of trichs and terpenes at this point. Problem is… not enough amber or not all cloudy so most let them go beyond the sweet spot. When u drill or split the stem and make it impossible for the plant to repair which is why I fill the hole it goes into protect mode and ripens quickly. I also remove all my fan leaves at this point Bc they are now useless for what I want happening in the plant. If u put it in the dark after a few days of drilling u stress the hell out of the plant and this process goes into overdrive. Now add ice to the mix and it’s like beating Superman with kryptonite. All kinds of defense mechanisms kick in Bc it thinks it’s winter in Alaska all of a sudden.

Hope I didn’t confuse anyone with my burnt brain. Mowed the yard earlier so had to over medicate and that was the result. Lmao :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Hi @merlin44 - I agree with your plan above and the advice you have gotten so far. It’s good to have a plan - but be prepared for your plants to have their own ideas. Although some people grow to get “couch-lock” meds - I wanted my GL and WW to be daytime highs for my patients - so I was very careful not to have too many amber and just all cloudy trichomes. I cut out nutes and gave brown sugar ph’d water for 10-14 days in advance of the chop. (I think I got this brown sugar idea from @garrigan62) I drilled the stem on 2 of my plants and stuck a large toothpick in the hole (I didn’t notice much change but figured it was worth a try). I gave them all 48 hours of darkness. Of the four plants I harvested - I dry trimmed one and wet trimmed the others. I think I will always do a wet trim - I personally found it my easier to trim when wet. Best of luck to you on the homestretch! Jeb

PS how do you keep changing the title of your thread :thinking:

1 Like

I agree with the wet trim. All my fans are gone at drill or dark if I don’t drill. I hang em for 2 days and do a large sugar leaf trim. Then I fully trim them before jarred. Once those leaves get dry and curled into the sticky buds it’s much harder to do.

@Momtomask if u can fill your split hole with a toothpick u may want to try a larger hole and see if u get different results. U may not have disrupted the flow enough.

2 Likes

Over medication is my recreation time.:rofl:
When do you recommend the ice water bath? I forgot to mention that in harvest procedure.

1 Like

First off, thanks for your thoughts @Momtomask.

To change you topic/thread title, scroll to the beginning of the topic (the first entry). Next to the title you will see a “pencil icon”. Click on that and type your new name or change the part of the existing name that you want to change.
When you are satisfied with your edit click on the “check mark icon” just below and to the left of the edit field.
This is on a Window computer using MS Edge for a browser. If you are using a mobile device or other computer system the details may be a bit different but should be similar enough for you get it done.
If you need better instructions I will be glad to try again. Let me know.

1 Like

I jumped the gun about two weeks ago and trimmed a bunch of fan leaves too early. My personal practice (until I see a good reason to change) is to not do any trimming until near harvest. I will be doing most of my trimming while wet as well based upon my recent experience plus I have some mediocre dope that was given to me dry but had not been trimmed. What a pain!

No confusion @anon95385719, you were clear and to the point. As always, thanks for taking time to help us new growers through the “first grow challenges”.

2 Likes

I Ice the night before I harvest. About 24 hrs

1 Like

Great point @Momtomask, as you have likely gleaned, I have a tendency to plan nearly everything. That said, I am very flexible with regard to my plans. I use the plans a guide and then play it by ear. Growing dope is no exception.

I have learned over the years that the universe has no respect for my plans. It does what it does and if I don’t want to go along the universe is just fine without me.

1 Like

I would skip the last watering, day of lights out, and let them really dry out. This will help finish off the flush, stress them just a little bit more, and save you some time drying all that water right back out after harvest. Not as much will evaporate in the dark.

2 Likes

I was wondering about that @elheffe702…was thinking of doing the ice water bath (@anon95385719 suggestion that I have read about elsewhere too) as my last watering a day or two before lights out so they have a chance to dry out. Thoughts?

At this stage of the grow I am keeping the rH between 30% and 40%. Getting three to four gallons of water out of the dehumidifier each day. Needs to be emptied two or three times each day. Can only be done when lights are on.

1 Like

That sounds like a good plan, too. There are so many differing opinions. I don’t think you can mess it up too badly lol

Perhaps, but I have nearly killed my main grow and my Clone Army several times and I have only been trying to grow since the end of January.

1 Like

The point of the ice is to shock the plant into producing more resin to protect itself. Same idea with splitting/drilling, etc. There are lots of ways to accomplish more or less the same thing. Watering right before the plant is going to be sitting in the dark, when it’s not using much of that water in the dark anyway, doesn’t make sense to me. I feel like the point is to make the plant consume itself rather than nutrients in the soil, “using up” as much as possible.

3 Likes

I just transplanted a plant I grew in hydro for over two months to the ground outside… if I don’t kill this one, I’m not sure anything can kill it. Hah! I’m doing a good job trying.

6 Likes

You should have seen (or I should have photographed) the three clones that didn’t get watered. I was certain they were dead but gave them a dose of straight tap water (ph 8 no time to adjust) as an effort to revive them.

They were drooped about half way over and a sickly deep green. Twelve hours later, they looked great! I am still astonished.

While our efforts to kill them may not be effective, I am certain it does diminish yields each time we do something stupid or vicious to our plants. They are very resilient little devils.

1 Like

This, I believe, most agree with, it seems. I think the differences come with the various techniques used to effectively stressing the plant in just the right way.

I just flip mine off and cuss at them lol

2 Likes