First Grow From Beginning to End

Uh huh…

I tried some of my keef from my trim on top of a bowl…wow! I can’t wait for the finished product. I’m sure you’ll be pleasantly surprised by your sample, too.

Nothing wrong with emotional responses. My wife thinks I’m completely insane because I was upset, almost in tears, as I bagged up the stalk, stems, and soil from the plant I harvested. I tried to explain, but quickly realized she wouldn’t get it. And some of you might not either, and that’s okay. To care so much for something, for real, and then to just kill it, it was hard for me. No big deal really, but still a big deal, you know? Hearing all the “attaboys” on here sort of scratches that itch in my brain for me.

They’re getting really close, @merlin44. I’m getting excited for you. It’s gonna be great!

3 Likes

LOL I smoked the FIM’ed bud this evening.

It was slow to kick in, then it sort of just softly washed over my brain and then became sort of a soft buzzy buzz.

Given that it was chopped off so early it is better than expected. Not remarkable but not bad.
@elheffe702 @Covertgrower @Mudcrab01 @Momtomask @bogleg @Myfriendis410

5 Likes

That’s great! It’ll only get better.

1 Like

Last evening I thoroughly inspected GL3 for trichome changes. While there are a few amber trichomes they are very few and the cloudy trichomes are not as numerous as I had thought.

The plant is progressing nicely but is at least a couple, if not several, weeks from completion.
I decided to water with nutes and commence clear water again next week. The last two times, I watered with clear pH adjusted water in preparation for harvest but that was premature.
@dbrn32 @raustin @elheffe702 @Countryboyjvd1971 @Momtomask @Myfriendis410 @Covertgrower @Donaldj @ReMolu @neckNflu
Edit: Here is a closeup photo of GL3

10 Likes

looks pretty close to done in my eyes,but i’m pretty ripped right now…lol

1 Like

It is sure getting close, as you not, but most trichomes are still clear. I am eager to chop but will wait until mostly cloudy.

I think that the early cloudy and amber trichomes were the result of nitrogen toxicity in about the fourth week of flower. It seems to have recovered and continued to flower normally.

1 Like

ahhhhh,i see…i was going to say that i was seeing amber,but that makes sense…lol
i was rubbing my eyes really looking! lol
no white pistols either…

1 Like

True, very few white pistils. I was planning on chopping on Saturday until @dbrn32 and @Covertgrower suggested a bit more time. That is when I really did a thorough examination and determined that things were not quite as far along as my inexperienced eye was interpreting. The trichomes tell the story.

4 Likes

i’d stay on coarse captian,second guessing is not good …lol

3 Likes

I think if you just keep an eye on the trichs they’ll tell you everything you need. I generally use pistils as indicator as when to monitor them.

2 Likes

Thank you @dbrn32, I just got a little over eager when GL3 started changing so quickly, early in the flowering phase.
My inexperience is fully revealed when it comes to the important details. This first grow is, and continues to be, a learning experience.

5 Likes

You’ll never stop learning. And nothing to say that there’s not someone out there that knows better than I do too lol.

But I’m more quantity minded than a lot of others too. So I watch for bud swell to finish before I even think about harvesting. When pistil production has slowed and majority are receding is the point I feel she’s ready to monitor trichs. If it means I have a little more amber because of it I just roll with it. But I typically have some time yet and can get them around 20% amber and 10% or less clear using that method.

3 Likes

That is a big help @dbrn32, this seems to be the most uncertain phase so far. Just more waiting and watching.

edit: They really are getting fat and sassy.

The best advice yet…:rofl:

3 Likes

Smoke bowl, watch, wait, repeat haha!

5 Likes

I was going to say the same thing as @dbrn32, I use the hairs turning red or orange as an indicator of when to start looking at trichomes and how closely etc etc you’re doing great! Looks awesome. Everything does. I should mention just so you have a little frame of reference from my limited experience I found that more times than not I get close to almost all orange or red hairs while the trichomes are showing me they still have a few weeks to go. I guess that’s why looking at trichomes is better than only using the color of the buds hair. Have a nice morning everyone.

4 Likes

I totally know how you feel. I find it very bitter sweet come harves time. As somebody pointed out to me on this site, just think of your plant as wanting to be chopped down. It wants to turn into the best medicine possible to cure/help what ails you. Hahaha
In all honesty my wife doesn’t understand that feeling too well either. She understands the hard work and worry but not the emotional attachment I guess.
I haven’t told anyone this but when I chop my girls down I usually say “thanks” to God, the/a creator, or whatever person or thing put this amazing plant on this planet for us. I’m not a super religious person but I feel so grateful that this plant was put on this Earth, for us, to use as we see fit, and that I am able to use/grow this plant myself.
Okay I’ll stop rambling now. Back to coffee and my meds. Have a nice morning everyone. :+1::deciduous_tree:

4 Likes

Trichome update: After a very close inspection last night it was “clear” that there was a lot more clear trichomes than I previously thought.

As I took a look at the closeup photo from this morning, I see a lot more amber in the trichomes. This specific bud was inspected and has almost no amber trichomes when viewed “manually”. I will do a (photography) lighting experiment this weekend, but it appears that there is some light reflection and/or refraction going on giving the appearance of amber trichomes. I believe that the amber color that shows in the photos is due to the light from the flash reflecting off of the red/brown pistils and being refracted through the clear trichomes giving them an orange tinge.

This likely not a new idea or observation but some of the other new growers may not have had this experience yet.
@dbrn32 @raustin @elheffe702 @Countryboyjvd1971 @Momtomask @Myfriendis410 @Covertgrower @livefast @ReMolu @neckNflu

6 Likes

Good catch! Could be probably a few explanations, but you’re the one there looking at them, so like @BIGE said trust what you think you’re seeing the most.

4 Likes

You’re absolutely right, and it’s really difficult to tell what you’re looking at through the microscope. I like to take tons of pics from slightly different angles and view the trichs later, I just find it easier. You can be fooled by light reflection and refraction cause those trichs are so shiny. Also, I wouldn’t use the flash, just some good white lighting.

4 Likes

That is exactly my thought @raustin, I am actually looking into an LED ring light that fits on the cameral lens and provides 360 degrees of evenly distributed light.

1 Like