First Grow in the planning stage, looking for input to do it right

Well, i do have one other factor too… I’m a semi-disabled fatass, so I think I may get the 4x4 tent, and plan on just running 2 good-sized plants in it at first to have some extra “ass room” in there :slight_smile:. I have seen several people mention tent spaces being tight, and I feel like I should account for my size and my limits by just going for the larger tent. And, if I feel like I want a little more variety of strains, I could do 3 or 4 plants later.

So I think that may be the tent size sorted. I’m off to look at some of @Graysin 's lighting suggestions.

3 Likes

Their inline fans are as noisy as the FA-18 in afterburner.
AC-Infinity ALL the way.
Remote Controller, inline and oscillating fans. TenT 48x48 as tall as possible.
Lights are the deciding factor. Spend the most you can for the best (HLG). Cheap lights work OK, but
Time is money and good lights grow awesome buds. WELCOME AND GOOD LUCK.

2 Likes

Tents and growing all present multiple factors to be delt with.
Exhaust of heat and smell, Cooling and humidity issues.
Electricial capabilities and safety, just to mention a few.
Good luck.

1 Like

Absolutely agree.

2 Likes

I just looked up some of the mentioned lights, and I see The Green Sunshine Co has a sale on. Does a 4x4ft tent with 2 of their 180 V3 lights seem like enough light? I see they say you can put 2 300’s in there, but I’m not sure I can swing $1200 on just lights right here at the start of things.
My eye was also caught by a cheaper light, the MarsHydro TS3000. I see a lot of (sponsored?) YouTube videos about it, and the numbers look OK I think, but IDK if they can be trusted.

2 Likes

A very practical aspect of growing came to mind. It is having to move plants. When they are in large wet pots and they have grown, it becomes a challenge. They are heavy and large plants can be damaged. Even watering and dealing with runoff can be difficult or easier based on the setup.
Something like this can help - plant caddy with drainage tray

I have a 3x3x7 gorilla tent. It is perfect for me. I can easily grow 4 photoperiod plants in it. I prune and train them to accomplish this. I have also grown one or two plants it it. The number depends on how you manage the space and plants.

Your thoughts about getting started are very similar to mine. That is Fox Farm Ocean Forest, FF nutrient Trio and autoflowers. Many around here grow autos and are very good at it. There are also many instances where an auto bolts to flower after a couple weeks, is 10" with a few grams of dried flower. Way too much time, energy and $$ to end up with that with much of it being out of your control.

A few final thoughts
You obviously will have to consider your physical ability to maintain what you grow. The demands are much more at the beginning through the first month of flower than after that.
Determine the grow space and access to plants. Thinking a bit in the alternative - you can have one plant in the center of a 4x4. Grow it in a wheeled scrog frame with a powerful high quality light over it. You can grow one larger photoperiod and end up with 12+ ounces once you figure things out.
Lighting is critical. It all fits together. Space, environment, medium, nutrients and lights.
This is larger than I envision but something to consider

One other aspect is pruning and training. Before you germinate any seeds, have a working grasp of Low Stress Training and topping. To grow successfully indoors it is requisite knowledge IMHO.

7 Likes

It looks like everyone above has you covered @Turanil. I welcome you to the forum! Its a great place to learn and pass along your knowledge to others in need as we all love to watch each other succeed. Ill tag along in case you would like any extra help

5 Likes

400 watts for a 4x4 will bring you up short. That would put you around 25 watts per square foot. 35-50 is ideal.

Not even remotely. Mars Hydro is among the brands that gives social media influencers product in exchange for using product. So they get free stuff by reviewing lights. Some of their lights are okay, but it won’t be anything under $500 - by then it may as well be an HLG.

3 Likes

I had 1 of these for my 5x5 and it didnt get me the edge to edge coverage i wanted so i have 2 of them in there now. By the time you start raising them up the edge to edge coverage falls off fast

3 Likes

I do not use fox farms or any other nutes but Earth Dust now myself. Living soil and water only. If wanting super super easy this works for me. Other brands out that are similar I just have great luck with it. A kit for 60 bux will grow 10 auto in 5 gallon start to finish. 6 or 7 photo in 7 gallon pots. Precook soil couple weeks with base. Ammend it 2 weeks before flip if photo or as soon as see the changes in auto. Other than that nothing but water. No runoff/ph/testing. Just water. A little smaller yield and slower a touch BUT the ease makes up for that. The living soil seems to me to have more smell and taste also. Just another option for us lazy older folks.

4 Likes

@Storm That sounds great to me! Im trying to set my dad up with an outdoor grow now and he doesnt want anything to do with it besides watering here and there and watching it grow. He uses miracle grow on everything. Usually we layer with good bag top soil, black kow manure, and miracle grow. Obviously that wont work in this scenario and im only here 2 days a week to work on the house and visit so that gives me 2 days a week to tend to plants here. If i were to use earth dust to avoid having to mix nutes or ph what all would i need to get started and can i still use the soil there with the (i assume the nutrients are spent by now) old miracle grow or would i have to dig it out and replace it?

3 Likes

That Sohum professional says from seed to harvest water only

2 Likes

All you need is a kit from The Green Sunshine company and dirt. Old dirt…new dirt whatever.

1 Like

Honesty goes a long way, i’m not disabled but definitely not a small guy either. Even being perfectly able I don’t ever want to have my “ass” in a grow tent. Not even a 5x5 lol. Going with a 4x4 and more than 2 plants is going to have you removing plants to get to the back. Once they get developed is not exactly an easy task. You also get kinda limited on what you can with them. As such, a 2x4 tent may be a better option for you and is plenty big enough to grow 2-3 plants. Worst case scenario you could always double up and get another tent later. It seems a little silly to spend a lot more on dead space that you may struggle to use. Matty puts 8 plants in 2x4 no problem, not everyone needs an acre to produce a good harvest.

These lights have a nice fit and finish, but you can get higher performing lights for close to same price. You can currently get a refurbished hlg-300 r-spec for $330 before any applicable discount codes, and it’s plenty big enough to flower 2x4 per light.

3 Likes

Damn, now I am looking at 3 sizes :slight_smile: But I do see your point on wasted space. Someone mentioned AC Infinity earlier, and I looked at their stuff. As an IT guy, that integrated controller for lights fans etc seems pretty cool. I was considering t on asking if their lights were any good,and maybe just going with their tent / vent / lights to get the integrated thing going on. I did add a 2x4 tent and that HLG light to my (growing) word doc of possible parts and supplies. I may post a list here soon, once I collapse some of the options. @dbrn32 I think you have convinced me that I don’t want to pay enough right now to light a 4x4 tent up to the light levels I would need to properly utilize that amount of floorspace. I will probably end up in the 2x4 model.

2 Likes

Ok so I have some more more subjects to ask the group about.

1- Growing Medium - I see this " SoHum Living Soils-Cannabis Craves" soil. It sounds like the kind of easy-to-manage thing I want, and already ready to go, right out of the bag. Does anyone have experience with it, one way or the other? My other half (who will no doubt be helping with the day-to-day of the growing) is a bit chemical-shy, so doing a method like that with little or no mixing of potions will be very cool, I just don’t want to jump off into the dark.

2- Tools / Meters - if I am growing in that kind of “living soil” mode, will I need to be measuring things like water or soil PH, PPM’s or any other thing (other than Temp and RH, I know those are the “macro” measurements here.

3- Post-Processing - I was going to ask questions, but realized I need to do more reading on this… cutting drying curing trimming, etc… all still mostly a mystery, so asking would waste your time right now.

1 Like

Ac infinity fans are great. Although if i’m being completely honest, i don’t run mine in auto functions. The automation is what led me to purchase them but without their latest and greatest controller is pretty much useless as causes other issues. I run mine in manual and just tweak speed to where my environmentals are suitable. I maybe adjust a few times throughout grow, but plenty good enough. So you can save some money buying manually controlled models if so inclined. Their lights aren’t all that impressive in my opinion. I’ll leave at not the best, but not the worst either.

You can grow a lot of weed in a 2x4. Maybe won’t be on your first grow, but as you gain experience and learn how plants behave in comparison to your space it’s not that big of deal.

One thing i feel is missed by a lot of newbs is true cost of getting started. You can nicely setup a 2x4 or 3x3 for about the cost of what a decent light for 4x4 will cost. This is important because once your tent is built you’ll still need a good penny to buy testers, nutrients, pots, trimming shears, growing media, seeds, etc. A little research can go a long way. And disregard any articles that every model reviewed is sold on Amazon. Come to the forums and see what everyone is using or recommending. Then go visit their grow journals and check results. I typically direct most to hlg for lights because i know what you’ll be getting, but i build all of my lights. I could certainly point you to more or less expensive lights, but this is where i believe you’ll get the best value with industry leading customer service.

2 Likes

I don’t use it, so will leave that to people that do. I will say that there are several “water only” marketed soils out there, and I find this is rarely/if ever the case. I would rather see you go with a quality base soil likes roots original and use product like grow dots or earth dust. Buy this is just my very biased opinion.

In a perfect world, no you wouldn’t need them. But i don’t think very many start growing in a perfect world. You will inevitably run into issues andcthe first thing we’ll all ask, what’s ph and ppm lol. Cheap ppm/tds tester is good but i would spend couple extra bucks on ph tester. Get calibration and storage fluid too.

Agree 100%. This stuff can make or break your experience, but you don’t need to worry about harvesting before you have plants growing. Focus on getting proper equipment now. Once you have that settled your concern should be germination and vegging plants. Once you have plants started you’ll have months to prepare for harvest.

2 Likes

@Turanil the main thing is to have fun with it and learn as you grow develop your own method it just weed. All the answers you need are in these forums

2 Likes

I haven’t used anything like that but agree with @dbrn32 that it is near impossible to claim water only as a blanket statement. Too many different phenotypes that have different tolerances and needs.

Gonna go with the mod again on this. PPM meter can be basic/cheap but spend a couple of bucks for the quality Ph meter. Blue Labs and Apera are both popular brands and get the job done.

You have months before that is an issue. There is tons of info available in past threads. Many ideas and suggestions.

4 Likes