First grow... I hurt my plants

Ok so here we go…
I have a very low budget, as hands off as possible, indoor, first time grow happening!!!
My indoor environment is not ideal. The only source of heat I have for my house is a wood fire stove and infrared plug in heaters. Because of the wood stove my air is very dry and lots of Co2 in the air.
My water supply is well water so there are none of the chemicals or additives that you would find with city water. Ph for it is at 7.
I’ve got three plants. All in a five gallon bucket. I was told they are Gorilla Glue but they came from my brothers bag so they could be anything. My first plant sprouted on September 26th and my other two sprouted October 4th.
My grow room is 1inch Styrofoam insulation board with reflector on the inside. My light is a 120 watt reflector agro grow light I picked up from the garden store. It throws a lot of heat so I have to keep it pretty far from my plants to prevent burn to my leaves and canoeing. I have it on a 16/8 cycle for now but have no clue if or when I need to change that.
I have a humidifier in with them. It keeps it pretty humid in there but not enough to cause condensation. And is only on when the light is on.
My temperature is between 73 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit day and night. It depends on if I have a fire going.
My soil is Black Gold seedling starter. I have not added any nutrients to them but I do have Fox Farm Grow nutrient for when I do.
A few days ago I had to move them outside for five hours due to a house check from my landlord and it threw them into a serious shock. I’m not sure if they got to cold or if the direct sunlight was just too much. They laid over and had major damage to the leaves. I broke a fan leaf off of my oldest and everyone is turning white. My new growth is green and they have stood back up. I’m not sure if I need to do anything to help them heal or if I should just leave them alone and let them pull out of it hopefully on their own.

Sounds like it was the cold that got to them. They should be ok, just let them readjust.

2 Likes

Hopefully they come around! Looking forward to hearing about their recovery

1 Like

They look like they need a bit more light. They’re very stretchy. But I’ll be following along. I just started my first grow about a week ago.

1 Like

Check Craigslist and offer up for used growing equipment you would be amazed at how many people spend 2 or 3 grand burn their crop and and get mad and sell it for penny’s on the dollar. One way or the other your going to have to have a good light the cheapest that really works will be a mh/hps light there’s a couple 600w mh and hps for 60 and 75 dollars where I’m at

1 Like

They do have some stretch but that is because my light throws too much heat. If I drop it any closer my leaves start to canoe and burn. Their stretch has slowed considerably since I added the reflective insulation on my walls. I figured I would need something stronger just had no clue what to look for. Thanks!

Are you planning in leaving them all in that bucket?
It’s going to get cramped.

You may need more light for 3 plants. They’ll flower with what you have, just don’t expect big dense buds.

You don’t think leaving them all together is a good idea? I can move one of them I guess. I just don’t have much room in my grow area for individual buckets for each…would it be better to wait till they are a little more mature and recovered a bit or go ahead and transplant one now?

So one week update!
Haven’t given any nutrients and haven’t been able to separate them into their own pots yet. Switched my lights to 18/6 cycle. We lost a few leaves and still have a few discolored white ones but we have everyone standing with bright green new growth! I know the stretch is worrisome but I haven’t gotten a new light yet. They have slowed down a lot thought since switching to the longer cycle. Still have some canoeing on my top leaves. Not sure what to do about that…

Ok everyone. It’s been awhile since I have you an update. My partner decided to leave them all in the same bucket. :neutral_face: anyways the tips of the fan waves are starting to point down and my leaves are really dark. No did coloration just the tips dropping. Is it too much nitrogen? I’ll get some pictures posted later today.

So we switched to flower a week ago. Got a question… Are these males? If so imma be so mad.

1 Like

Sort of looks like it let’s get some expert opinion @MattyBear @dbrn32 :wink:

I hope you’re using that term loosely lol.

@Happygolucky those are Male plants, sorry!

1 Like

Yep, it’s a boy. Looks pretty far along too so you’ll want to wash your space down really well to make sure the pollen doesn’t get on your next plants in there​:v::bear:

2 Likes

Lol…ah come on now. I won’t tell everyone I promise :wink:

2 Likes

So is there a way to tell what they are before I get this far into them? If so how? I’ve got one other plant that is super short and has white hairs on the top. I know if that’s a female she will have seeds. Can I pull the two boys and switch my short one back to veg to get her a bit bigger before flowering?

When they start to show sexual maturity, a female will have white pistils and males will grow groups of “balls” instead of white pistils. If you have both, it’s a hermie. If the boys pollen sacks open up and spill onto your females, you will have buds with seeds in them :v:

1 Like