First grow, i hope it goes well :)

Hi mates ! this is my first grow, i got these seeds from a friend who is not sure about this strain or landrance but according to him he has grown good bud from it. So i thought i should give it a try. I germinated them directly in soil. Due to availability issue i made this soil by mixing 1 part potting soil with 1 part kitchen waste compost, with 10% coco-peat, little bit of chicken manure and stone chips. Ph is about 6.5 - 7. They are 11-12 days old babies. Can i feed them on some bat guano tea yet ? I am growing them in a 3x5 closet. Using 45wCFL on one plant and diy LED light on the other one. I plan to replace them with 300 grow light soon. Right now its 18/6 light cycle. Temps and humidity is around 27c and 50% respectively. I have installed one pc fan as exhaust and one blowing on the babies. Can you guys tell me by having a look on these seedlings if they look like indica, sativa or hybrids, i am afraid its not ditch weed or hemp lol. And yeah i want to switch them to 12/12 after a 1 month from seed. It a good idea ? All replies and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you and happy growing

2 Likes

My guess is an Indica dominant hybrid or an indica. I don’t see sativa in those leaves at all. I wouldn’t feed them anything until you at least get full 5 fingered leafs going to ensure they have the size, root structure, and full photosynthesis capabilities. What nutes and lighting do you plan on using? @raustin is a girl who isn’t afraid to get dirty so she is a good resource for soil growers.

1 Like

Sorry, I don’t know much about pre-mixing soil and bat guano use. But someone on the site may. I am not sure if its possible this early to detect sativa or indica. Long and thin leaves indicate more sativa, short and fat would be indica, but it can always be a mix and different phenotypes can have different leaf patterns.

28 days from seed to 12/12 is tight. I veg for 42 days from the time the seed peeps out of the ground.

It’s always tough to tell from a picture, but the soil looks damp. Be careful not to overwater and make sure you pH the water you are using.

The kids look good, nice job! Good luck.

2 Likes

Generally, you don’t start feeding until the round cotyledon “leaves” shrivel and fall off, hey contain all the food your girls need til then.

2 Likes

My Indica leaves always come out looking like a wrinkled Shar Pei lol. My Sativa leaves don’t form that way for to the lack of mass in the leaves. Just from my personal observations.

1 Like

Too early to tell if it’s indica or sativa, but as @Sixpackdad said, you’re going to want to veg a little longer than 28 days, that’s stil a pretty small plant.

1 Like

Thats what i think, they look more like indicas. But lets wait and see. i plant to use well composted chicken menure, some organic kitchen waste compost as a mulch and Bat guano tea with watering. For lights, i plan to use a single DIY LED i am going to make for two plants which will be around 350 - 400 watt.

Alright then, i might consider waiting a little more and veg for 5-6 weeks. I had just watered them before taking the pics thats why its looking wet, by the way it dries fast. I have checked the PH is around 6.5 - 7.0. Thanks i will update after a few days :slight_smile:

You should try to keep ph around 6.5 to get better nute absorbtion. ph at 7.0 is a little high, 6.3 to 6.8 is recommended ph

1 Like

how can i lower the PH naturally ? Will garden lime decrease or increase it ?

Not sure about the garden lime, but look up bi carb soda. Check for yourself but. I use it in fish tanks

1 Like

*GROW UPDATE

Hi guys, these plants are now 4 weeks old. I gave them little bit of chicken manure in their second week and they show some signs of minor nute burn so i removed all the chicken manure from the soil top right away and flushed them for a week or two. In the fourth week I fed them with diluted bat guano tea and i did LST with topping. They are kind of growing very slow. I had planned to veg for a month and then switch to 12/12. But by looking at their size, i guess i have to keep them in veg for 2 or 3 weeks more. I guess my lights are not powerfull enough to encourage vigourous growth. I dont have PPM or EC meter right now so i cant check for salt build up or nutrient lockout at the moment but my soil PH is reading around 7 i want to bring it down to around 6. I dont have access to PH up / PH down solution. Can you guys recomend me an alternative like baking soda or organic apple cider vineger ? I am definately going to upgrade my lighting system within a few days but in the meanwhile, what can i do to improve my plants health and growth rate ? Anyhelp is appriciated.

You really need to get your Ph under control, 7 is to high. If you’re in soil then your Ph should be between 6.3 and 6.8. You can use baking soda and vinegar, but you’re better off using Ph Up and Down.

1 Like

They’re looking very nice. Try and find some Dolomite Lime if you cant get your hands on ph up/down, I had similar issues and that worked well for me .
They look more indica dominant to me but I’m fairly new at this so dont take my word for it. Do you have them on a drip irrigation type of set up? Also, the soil looks pretty well compacted, if so you might want to loosen it up a bit to aerate better and mix in something to keep it that way. Others more knowledgeable will know more about this, but very compact soil cant be great, kinda like clay.
Good luck!

Well i will see if i can get my hands on PH up/down, If not, i will go with baking soda or vinegar.

Hi mote, thanks for appreciating. I will look for dolomite lime, lets see if i can find that. And yes you are right, now i can see they are surely indica or atleast indica-dominant. I am using the drip irrigation to feed them bat guano tea diluted with water. The soil looks compacted but It was not this way when i started but after few waterings it started to look this way. But if i take out a piece of soil from the top and break it with my hands, its still very crumbly and nice.

1 Like

Can’t really call indica/sativa at such a young age. Many sativas start out with indica type leaves, but once they bloom, the leaves thin out & start looking more sativa-y.

This is a 3 week old 95% sativa plant. Looks indica, doesn’t it? 20181118_082236
You should see the plant at 77 days old. No mistaking she’s a sativa.

1 Like

You can buy the pH up/down any place that sells aquarium supplies.

As other’s have mentioned and as you’ve probably read in the forum be cautious w/watering, let it dry up a bit between waterings. I was probably going to over water and over nute until I received some very timely advice from forum members and an email from ILGM.
Have fun and I’ll be watching your grow, curious as to the short veg period & how that plays out.
:wink:

2 Likes

Wow, i did’nt knew that. yes your plant looks like indica. But doesnt matter whatever strain my plants are, all i care about is that they give me some nice bud to smoke in the end. I hope they will :slight_smile:

1 Like