First Grow - Gold Leaf, Blue Dream, Skywatcher OG

Yeah and you can see the tips of the leaves are burnt a little bit - without the reading it looks like its nute burn (or overfeeding)

You should probably give it a good flush of pH water and then a light feed as soon as you can :slight_smile:

Thank you, I just flushed until the PPM was about 900. Is that the idea? Target the run off to about 800-900 PPM for this stage?

Also, I checked again and could not see yellow tips but maybe I don’t know what I’m looking for?

1 Like

@rygrowguy Flushing is when you get rid of all the salts sitting in the medium. typical flush would be until run off ppm is 50 then you leave to dry for a couple of days then water to check run off, if its good then go ahead and resume feeding

1 Like

Plant looks good in my opinion @rygrowguy

1 Like

Thank you will proceed to flush correctly :+1:t2:

1 Like

@rygrowguy I forgot to add that run off ppm should be below 50 but 50 is still good. Good luck

1 Like

What do you use to treat the water to get the right pH and PPM in order to flush? I used bottled water but the pH was still high (7.5-8)?

I purchased a pH up & down kit. Organic growers use lime to bring it down and baking soda for up. Too much baking soda over time will affect your plant tho

https://www.amazon.ca/General-Hydroponics-pH-Control-Kit/dp/B000BNKWZY/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=ph+up+and+down&qid=1596914687&sr=8-2

1 Like

I’ve been thinking and I’m wondering if my Pot for Pot soil is going to cause screwy results with feeding, run off, and PPM measurements. I think the path forward for watering and feeding is to only give nutes if the PPM is measuring low after watering with just pH water. Anyone have thoughts on that?

I ordered the pH control kit (thanks @ashhhh) which will be here soon and will try that at that next watering unless that’s a completely crazy idea.

Here’s the babes after some light trimming and leaf shine spray.

1 Like

No worries! @rygrowguy

What soil are you using?

It’s the Pot for Pot standard coco mix. It supposedly already has all the nutrients needed for the entire grow. I’m not really sure how that works but I wanted to supplement feeding a little bit with Advanced Nutrients at a lower dosage. If as I water and watch the PPM and try to keep it at say 900 PPM or so right now would that makes sense?

With coco i know you pH at 5.8 and water/feed/water everyday. Im not familiar with pot for pot coco mix and the nutrients mixed in it and ppm related to that so maybe @Myfriendis410 can help you out with this one. He’ll give you great advice.

Awesome thank you! I’ve been watering every 4-5 days based on how dry the soil feels and reads.

1 Like

Not sure what is in your coco. A slurry test will determine the base PH of your media but like Ash said coco normally PH’s to 5.3 to 5.8.

Coco also must be kept wet or it will become hydrophilic. This means that subsequent waterings just pass through the media without being absorbed. If this is a soil with amendments then refer back to slurry test.

Thank you @Myfriendis410!!! Appreciate any and all advice.

I will check into a slurry test. To confirm, should I be watering to run off everyday? Or just keep the soil damp everyday and water to run off every 3-4 days?

Also, for pH should I be targeting 5.3-5.8 for the water I am using?

water everyday till theres 10-30% run off and yes pH your input to 5.3-5.8

A lot of people find 5.8 hits the sweet spot for coco

Okay thank you, and as far as feeding, it sounds like you’re doing that every other day or so? And do you base the frequency and concentration of feeding from the runoff PPM measurements?

Growers usually go on a f/w/f/w schedule.They even change it up to f/f/f/w or even f/f/w schedule based on the plants needs if it seems like she’s too hungry, so you feed more often back to back maintaining your ppm and not going over it for every feeding. It also depends on the soil your using.

You use your instruments to measure ppm and pH of the mix your feeding your plant with. On days that you’re using R/O water or even tap water only without feeding, you wont need to adjust pH. It will adapt the pH of the medium.

The reason we water until 10% run off for example, is because we want to test the pH and ppm of the medium using a sample. pH should be in .5 range. If ppm is lower than your input by atleast 1 couple of hundred then your plants are hungry for more food. If its higher, she’s getting fed more than she can handle and you would need to back off the nutes until your run off ppm goes lower or close to your input ppm.

I hope this clears it up a bit

1 Like

Yes, this is perfect. Will implement and start tracking this much better. Thank you!

1 Like