First Grow From Beginning to End

thanks @dbrn32, it is sort of a mixed thing, first grow is done - exciting but anti-climactic.

I have learned a bunch and made some new friends along the way. I have just finished the design work for my new propagation area. Will post photos when it is finished.

4 Likes

Yes, there is that LMAO. My observation is that the bar is fairly low (at least initially) as many folks have never had really good dope so don’t know what to expect.
I would like to get a small group of folks that really appreciate quality and keep them supplied.

2 Likes

What makes it more anti-climactic is that you can’t smoke any of it until it dries… and if you don’t wait until it cures you can make yourself wonder if it’s as good as you had hoped. Heh. Damnit!

3 Likes

True…I actually had to convince myself to start smoking my stash. In my mind I am still concerned about running short - totally irrational. My first plant was fully cured and ready to smoke for nearly a week before I could bring myself to break it out.
I also had a bunch of dope (three or four ounces) from pre-growing days that is now being processed for edibles as practice. Mrs Merlin has actually suggested just throwing all of the mediocre crap away. and she is a tight wad!

5 Likes

Hey @Myfriendis410, my finished buds have little smell or taste. They produce an excellent high. ILGM Gold Leaf and White Widow, both feminized.

Edit: The buds were very aromatic while in flower.

I withheld nutrients for the last two weeks, 48 hours of dark before cutting, dipped wet trimmed buds in hydrogen peroxide water before hanging.
They are stable at 62% rH.

What might I have done to produce tasteless and nearly odorless buds?

Edit: They also burn very nicely.
Edit: Also put ice on the soil during the first part of the dark time.

4 Likes

Generally this happens if you dry your buds too fast… during the cure you should get some taste and smell back.

3 Likes

Hmmm, it took about a week hanging to get to the point of feeling dry-ish, then into paper bag with humidity monitor (took about a week to get down to 64%) then into jars, etc, etc.

During the hanging, rH was 50% +/- 5%.

What sort of changes do I need to make in this process? @Bogleg @Myfriendis410

2 Likes

That sounds right to me - just give it time… it seems normal to me that you lose some smell and taste until they cure properly.

4 Likes

Thx for the feedback, @Bogleg, I was just hoping that there was something obvious that I could change (during grow, dry or cure) to get aromatic buds.

The learning process continues…

3 Likes

Keep curing, the smell and taste will come back.

2 Likes

I will do that @raustin, at this time, when I burp them they have sort of a smooth smell that is a little bit sweet. The Gold Leaf and White Widow have different smells but are consistent within the strain.

They have been curing in jars with Boveda packs for 3 - 4 weeks depending upon the specific plant.

2 Likes

Let me know in a month or so if you notice a toffee like smell coming from the GL… mine had this butterscotch/toffee smell and taste around a month after I jarred them. It’s still there now but much more subdued, like an under-taste.

1 Like

That might be the slight sweetness that I detect, it is more pronounced in the GL then the WW.

1 Like

Sorry; west coast time lol. @Bogleg and @raustin got to you first. Yeah; my first thought was too quick a dry time but you did great. Assuming good aroma before harvest (which you confirmed) the aroma should come back over time in the jars. I just harvested a GL and it was almost free of scent a week after going in jars but yesterday the sample jar I smelled was lovely: Rosemary and citrus.

We bag on the GL but it’s a really lovely, potent, evening smoke and I’ve had one in every grow since summer of 2017.

3 Likes

Rosemary! My outdoor GL (still obviously in veg) has a very strong catnip like smell to it. Stronger than any indoor plant I’ve grown so far. Much stronger than her sister inside, which is also bigger and about to flower.

2 Likes

I would guess some interesting flavor profiles pop up when growing outside…

1 Like

Thx @Myfriendis410, I will continue what I am doing.

When I dip them in peroxide water, I just put them in for a few seconds then dip them in plane water then hang. Is there more (or less) to this that I need to know?

Wow. I can’t believe that I’ve finally made it through 1,717 posts on this thread of yours, @merlin44. This is a fantastic journal! I just started my first-ever grow two weeks ago, and stumbled on your thread. It has taken me a while to get through it from beginning to end, and my wife and in-laws are rolling their eyes at me while we’re on vacation for being so absorbed with some weird blog. But we must do what we must. I’ve learned so much from your grow. Thanks for documenting this so meticulously! I am nowhere near as methodical or high-tech as you are, but I am keeping daily notes, and have benefitted from the advice of some of the contributors who are here. But I’d also like to call upon your expertise sometimes, now that you have a very successful grow under your belt. And question number one is this (for the notebook): When you dipped your buds in the hydrogen peroxide water at harvest time, what was your ratio of hydrogen peroxide to water in the solution?

6 Likes

I learned about doing this from @Myfriendis410, just to give credit where due.

One cup of hydrogen peroxide to 5 gallons of water is the ratio that myfriendis410 suggested and that is what I used. I will be spraying a more dilute mixture on my plants as they progress through flowering as well. I will need to look through my notes to get that number. I love detailed notes. :+1::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Welcome to the forum @WonkaMan, we are glad to have you onboard. You will find the folks here to be very knowledgeable and willing to assist.

I am very glad to you have found my grow journal to be useful, that was why is created it. Also, thank you so much for the kind words.

By the way, you must have been really bored to read this whole thread, I am impressed with your tenacity.

Happy growing, you are going to have a blast.

4 Likes

You should get your own journal started and fill out a support ticket. This will give the experienced growers plus other nubes like me the info needed to help you if needed.

Tag me in when you get it going.

1 Like