First Grow From Beginning to End

IMHO this is good life advice. :smiley:

2 Likes

I agree 100% @merlin44

I definitely never observed any negative effects from doing it

2 Likes

probably best to cover them, but I’m not sure it would be absolutely necessary.

3 Likes

Hey @merlin44 - did you manage to get your plant out the door? I’m so excited for you!! :hugs:

1 Like

No, it is still a day or so before I need to take it “to a dark place” :fearful:
I did get the branches sort of tied up, they were all tipped over under the weight of the buds. This afternoon even the sturdiest tops are leaning under the weight.

I am thinking that I will move them on Thursday and chop them on Saturday afternoon.
I am pretty jazzed.

5 Likes

I’m jazzed for you! Sounds like you have some serious weight.

1 Like

Sorry; been travelling.

I’m not a huge fan of the stem split myself. I think there are other tricks to increase resin production that are more worthwhile like reducing humidity and staying toward the upper temperature range for the final push. Darkness is good before harvest but is not for increased resin production. If you have optimized all of the variables in your grow, THEN a stem split might have utility.

5 Likes

I use the darkness not so much to boost resin, but to allow the plant plenty of time to pull as much out of itself as possible. I’m not wording that right. But I read about it, retained it, just can’t regurgitate it ha

5 Likes

The “splitting” of the stalk seemed a bit risky to me, so I just drilled a quarter inch hole through it. I am not too sure about some these things myself, but they don’t seem likely to cause serious problems at this stage.

I have been keeping my “day time” temp between 80 and 83 F and rH between 30 and 35 %, “night time” temp about 75 and rH is closer to 40%. I have maintained these conditions since about fourth week of flower. Sure appreciate your thoughts on these things @Myfriendis410, thx.

3 Likes

I won’t really have anything to compare to as this is my very first harvest. I will do a direct comparison when the Clone Army get harvested, I can take two clones from same parent and only ice one of them. That would be a fairly decent test, I think.

P.S. Tomorrow evening, just before lights ON, GL3 will be moved into “A Dark Place” (with ice) for the following two days…then chop, chop!

3 Likes

Any test you’re doing should be done like that, on a couple clones taken from the same plant, at the same time, I think. That rules out any variances between seeds/phenotypes.

2 Likes

Should I do a peroxide water rinse even if there is no evidence of mold or mildew?
@Myfriendis410
I will be chopping in two days time. Does this affect the hanging and drying process (other than the fact that the buds will be practically dripping with water)?

1 Like

When I washed my White Widow, it seemed to dry just fine. The initial wetness drips off fairly quickly…think water on oil.

3 Likes

I just hang the branches until they drip dry then dry as normal. And I would wash every harvest for GP from now on.

2 Likes

I skipped it this go because my wife was pretty sure it’s what made my White Widow suck, not my beginner growing skills. I’m washing the next one following your instructions.

3 Likes

So, in what way did your “White Widow” suck? What do you supposed caused the suckage? I love to learn through the errors or others rather than through personal failure. LOL

1 Like

I have a file on my phone…I’ll just copy and paste…
Why the White Widow sucked so bad:

1. Overwatered in veg
  2. Overfed in veg
  3. pH was WAY off before I had a meter
  4. Broke a main branch (1/4 of the plant at that point)
  5. Starved in early flowering
  6. Light burned
  7. Knocked a lot of trichomes off “tucking” branches under screen, and broke branches tucking.
  8. Looking at trichomes under microscope after curing, there’s a lot of clear on some…I harvested too early
  9. I should’ve used distilled or reverse osmosis water to wash the buds…the tap water made them smell funny, kinda like I added mildew
  10. I was too rough when I washed during harvest, knocking off trichomes
  11. It didn’t dry long enough, or correctly, therefore…
  12. Didn’t cure correctly

Am I forgetting anything?

2 Likes

Holy Geez, and I thought I worked hard to kill my first grow…LOL, you get the gold star for testing the plant’s resiliency, Great Job @elheffe702.

But, seriously, thank you for the enumerated list, it matches mine fairly closely.
It is a learning process, I have extensive notes as well.

My GL3 will be harvested too early due to some issues midway through flowering causing accelerated production of amber trichomes, still too many clear but, butt loads of clear (about 30% clear). About 30% amber, just don’t want “couch lock” if I can avoid it.

2 Likes

The best way to learn to walk is to fall flat on your face a few times first.

5 Likes

It seems that you and I should be able to walk very well (maybe even run a little bit) given the number of falls we have taken. LOL

4 Likes