First Grow From Beginning to End

Thursday March 15, Day 43:
All of my plants appear to be healthy. One of the White Widows has been showing slight blotching on the leaves so I am watching this very closely.

My room temperature runs 70 - 73 F with lights on and about 61 F with the lights off. Do I need to raise the temperature to something closer to 77 - 78 F? The room is quite comfortable but I wonder if the plants would like it a bit warmer. What do you folks think?

My Gold Leaf plants, which are within one day of the same age, are much, much larger than the White Widow plants. There is only about a 4 or 5 inch difference in height but in terms of plant volume/girth, the White Widow plants are less than 20% the size of the Gold Leaf plants.
Is this consistent with what others have seen?
@Niala @neckNflu @Donaldj @Flyr @Countryboyjvd1971 @Covertgrower @Myfriendis410 @Rugar89 @dbrn32 @raustin

2 Likes

Here you go buddy take a guick read on this

3 Likes

John got you covered. You could probably bump it up five degrees or so average. The WW might just be a little temperature sensitive.

3 Likes

The link that @Countryboyjvd1971 posted has been pretty much the standard. However I’ve had a little better luck running higher with my leds. I usually target 80ish with lights on. If I can hold like 78-82 I’m pretty content. Those are just eyeball calculations based on plant health and yield results. Can’t say there is a scientific explanation to support my findings though.

I looked at it for a bit, and found others claim similar findings. Best explanation I found is that due to lower amount of heat thrown in canopy direction, a little higher temp helps with leaf respiration. Take that for whatever you think. But I don’t think you’re bad anywhere in the mid 70 to mid 80’s with leds.

4 Likes

I second this unscientific results. My first grow had these temperatures and they were great.
@merlin44

3 Likes

I have my plants in my bedroom which is normally pretty cool cause that’s how I like it. It never gets above 72° and at night its around 68°. I’ve never had a plant complain they were chilly. However, I do keep a heat mat in the tent which is always on, so I suppose that compensates for the cool.

3 Likes

Hi all.
Sorry for hijacking the thread. I can’t creat new posts as a new member.

I’ve been reading post and articles on here for a while now. There’s so much good information. It’s geared me up ready for my first grow. My first two 8 ball kush have just pushed through the soil and I’m buzzing.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi to everybody
Stay safe.

7 Likes

Thank you @Countryboyjvd1971 @dbrn32 @Myfriendis410 @Covertgrower @raustin, I will take measures to raise my temperature by 5 - 10 F.

Yet another Tactical detail that I got wrong. I had assumed that the lights (LED’s in my case) would provide too much heat and that I would need to cool things down. Like pH, it never occurred to me before starting the grow that low temperatures (inside my house) would be an issue.

My next grow will go much smoother with all of the things that I have learned.

3 Likes

Hi @Woody75, welcome to the forum. You will find everyone here to be very helpful and knowledgeable.:+1:

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Woody75
You will be allowed to start you own thread soon enough when your trust level goes up
Read a few threads and post to the members get to know us a bit and your trust level will increase and you can start a journal or what ever
All good so dont be shy hang out and chill a while buddy lol
:v: CB

3 Likes

We’re all learning everyday, and have all been in your exact position. It’s not really as difficult to grow weed as we sometimes make it, but doing it well is another story.

The biggest thing, which I’m guilty of myself, is only getting/giving a portion of the information. Take lights and heat for example, they all produce heat and any other argument otherwise is false. But what are we talking about heat in terms of temps and where is it measured? Canopy temps will almost always be lower under led, but you will also probably see a little higher temp on top of the fixture where fans are exhausting from cooling heatsink.

You can certainly grow great weed at 70 degrees, just because a few of us seen better results a little higher doesn’t mean your harvest is going to double or be half either way. Most of us live outside of ideal with at least some of our growing aspects and do just fine. You just do the best you have with the resources available, and put as much of the knowledge you gain to work as possible.

10 Likes

@dbrn32 always more then one way to skin a deere right the best part of this forum imho is this
If im
Giving advice on something and I forget to mention a detail someone will jump in and offer that up sometimes I forget to mention the most basic detail because I assume it’s common knowledge and my bad but it happens
And when a member like your self or others jumps in it think that the bees knees lol
Sounding old hahahaha

9 Likes

@dbrn32 said it well but I would add that the nominal parameters for peak quality and yield are known and it’s our job to take advantage of as many of those same target values as we can. Usually within the constraints of budget and terroir lol.

6 Likes

I’m also guilty @dbrn32

I can also verify this. My canopy temperatures can be around 80° but my exhaust intake can be 85°-90° depending on the day. So this is another reason to have multiple measuring devices in several different locations. I’m going to be adding one to the root zone, just so I can know. More information the better for the next go around @merlin44

Welcome to the forum @Woody75 this is a great place, and we look forward to your pictures when your able. Happy growing.

You’re right also @Myfriendis410 that’s what making the next grow better than the last.

5 Likes

For sure! I’m guilty as much if not more than others.

3 Likes

I’ve always wondered: what’s a nute? hahahaha!

3 Likes

It is something that has “eyes” that go into a witch’s brew…as in “eye of nute”.:rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Yep. My only issue with that is where the nominal parameters come from. Half of the lighting info we have is based on hps data. With newer lec and led lighting, it’s not always as accurate. Whether it be a temp situation like this, or we’re talking about something like watts per square foot. It could even be something like feeding half strength vs full strength with nutes. One line in one grow half strength could be great. While with a different line of nutes or in a different grow could be an entirely different situation. Then we start throwing different additives and it can throw just about everything we think we see off.

Textbook situations aren’t as usually as contradictory, but if I feel like I’ve seen something outside of that, I definitely want to share. I just try to do so with some sort of disclaimer lol. Last thing I want is someone fretting over something like a couple degrees, especially if there’s a chance those couple of degrees are helping more than hurting.

5 Likes

Very true! And we’ve all seen (and BEEN!) those nervous new growers worried about everything lol. For me it’s been a matter of trying to work “smart” and not “hard”. If I have a departure of a few degrees occasionally; it’s not going to make or break anything. I’m currently experiencing low RH in veg and just don’t worry about it. The plants look fine and they’re growing like, well, weeds! haha. Experience will tell us what kind and how much of a departure from nominal is worth it (PH being one) and 10% lower humidity in veg being on the opposite.

Lighting is one that’s a bit sticky and of course it influences everything else; nutrient uptake, water use etc. One strain from another! How many times do we see sensitivity to ph or nutes or temp when the plants all around are trucking along just fine? That’s life!

8 Likes

Today marks 45 days from sprouting. I estimate two more weeks until flipping to flower.
The Gold Leaf are growing like crazy and the White Widow continue to lag behind although they are growing nicely and look healthy.:sunglasses:

I purchased cup hooks to put around the rim of my pots so I can start some LST this weekend.

@Niala @neckNflu @Donaldj @Flyr @Momtomask @Countryboyjvd1971 @Covertgrower @Myfriendis410 @Rugar89 @ReMolu

5 Likes