First Grow From Beginning to End

Well, I’m a New Yorker, cursing is in my DNA.

4 Likes

Ok I edit that. I’m a NY er single mom of 2 boys and 1 is 17!!

6 Likes

Ok, I’ve only got two girls, you win.

5 Likes

I have good boys but they r still boys.

2 Likes

@merlin44 keep PH’ing,
As @Bogleg stated I’m not sold either, but what could it hurt?
Watering, someone put ice on top of their soil as a finisher. The hypothesis is to trick the plant into thinking its fall, and it better hurry up. No scientific eveidence on what changed occurred, it seemed like a reasonable thing that could happen. I dont know what changes happened if any to the plant. It wasn’t mine. It was a grow journal on here. If anyone remembers. (Cause I can’t) Tag them.
Otherwise wet trim is by far the easiest and gets the best results. Can’t wait for the chop!

2 Likes

Here’s a thread about it:

3 Likes

I was fooled into to premature action but now it is time. GL3 trichomes suddenly (over night) were mostly cloudy and a few more amber than I would prefer.

Drilled the stalk and will not water again until I give them an ice bath when I move them out of the flowering room in a few days. The timing is not perfect but this plant had nitrogen toxicity which I believe accelerated it’s development compared to it’s siblings. I was expecting a smoother, gradual transition to harvest, but this was rather abrupt. If I were not watching closely, would have missed the signals.

This is very exciting…currently expect to chop on Friday or Saturday.

@dbrn32 @raustin @elheffe702 @Countryboyjvd1971 @Momtomask @Myfriendis410 @Covertgrower @BIGE @ReMolu @neckNflu

10 Likes

The only thing I can attest to that I found that worked for me personally is, on my last grow as kind of an experiment I left one of my 5 girls in the dark for 48 hours prior to harvest. It got a lot more trichomes and I swear it packs a little bit more of a punch. So from now on I’m going to do the 48 Hours of Darkness. I can attest to 48 hours of Darkness working! Or I believe it does .
I’ll try stem splitting/ drilling holes on my next grow. That sounds a lot easier.
Amazing grow buddy! Keep up the good work. Thank you for detailing your drying and harvesting. I need to work on drying and curing. Have a good morning

1 Like

This is exactly what I am planning, plus an ice bath during initial darkness.

I will need to tie the branches up to get the plant through the door as the plant is nearly 45" in diameter and the door is only 28" wide. About one third of the branches are hanging nearly upside down due to the weight of the buds. Will tie this morning in preparation for moving out in a day or two.

You have all been very generous with your advice and instruction.

5 Likes

Oh my gosh. That is hilarious and I’m sure it’s a pain in the butt to get through the door but in a way it’s kind of a cool problem to have :+1:
I’m curious to hear how that ice water works. Thank you for sharing that. I heard of adding cold water but I’ve never done it. My local grow shop guy mentioned one time that he gives his ice water near the end. So there’s probably something to it. The cool part is you will learn for sure one way or the other very soon! Keep up the good work. Everything looks awesome.

1 Like

Yes, can’t complain although, I did inadvertently “Super Crop” three or four of the smaller buds while getting it tied. They didn’t break off completely but they are hanging upside down where they got kinked and bent over. Should have removed them several weeks ago anyway.

By the way, nothing larfy about my buds, they are tight and dense. I just learned that word (larfy) yesterday and needed to use it. LMAO

4 Likes

I know. That word is just fun to say. Haha yeah I’ve accidentally banged up some of my girls moving them around. It happens but honestly they’ll be just fine. Congratulations. Everything looks like it’s going really well. Great Journal

1 Like

Do I need to cover the LED’s on my control system when I move GL3 into the prep area for two days of darkness?

The prep area is also under negative pressure so the odor of the plant will still be controlled, just don’t want to cause problems this late in the game.

@dbrn32 @raustin @elheffe702 @Countryboyjvd1971 @Momtomask @Myfriendis410 @Covertgrower @Donaldj @ReMolu @neckNflu

1 Like

I drilled a number of plants but I haven’t done it to the last two…

My problem with splitting was getting the knife through a big stem then once I did I had to come in with zip ties and tie it closed.

The drill would just quickly make a hole and your done…

The whole thought is to disrupt the flow in the xylem and the phloem and either one accomplishes that, so I just choose to do the easier one

2 Likes

I kind of think all these little things to produce more resins is almost “witches brew” anyways

2 Likes

There does seem to be a bit of hand-waving. I figure that so long as there is little chance of doing harm or damage and does not cost much, then “why not?”…

3 Likes

Me too. Most of these are word of mouth things passed down by old growers, but there isn’t any study data to prove any of it.

I actually have a guy telling me I need to hop on the winter krokus bandwagon now - another old technique from the 70s.

1 Like

IMHO this is good life advice. :smiley:

2 Likes

I agree 100% @merlin44

I definitely never observed any negative effects from doing it

2 Likes

probably best to cover them, but I’m not sure it would be absolutely necessary.

3 Likes