First grow. Few issues

This is my first grow after a lot of research and I’ve ran into a few issues. My alaskan purple has some gnarly leaf curling/clawing and my og gelato has some browning/dying leaves. Ive fed them bottled aquafina water ph’d to 6.2-6.5 and just gave them a micro dose of fox farm nutes a few days ago. I water every 2-3 days and I dont go crazy with it. It doesnt take a ton of water before it starts running out the sides or bottom of my 3 gallon fabric pots. Heres a few pictures, Ive researched for hours but it seems like so many deficiencies/problems look extremely similar so its hard to tell what my issue is. My temperature before they showed signs of flower was around 80-88 degrees inside the tent with 60-70 percent humidity. It has been lowered to 70-78 degrees for probably the last 10-14 days. I thought it was heat stress/lightburn but they haven’t seem to have recovered or showed any signs since making this change. The alaskan plant is 35 days old and my og gelato is 33 and I really dont want them to fail at this point! Any tips/advice is welcome.

1. Indoor or outdoor? - size of grow? indoor, 32x32x64 tent
  2. Origin of seeds? Seedsman
  3. Regular, feminized, or autoflower? Autoflower. One Alaskan Purple, One OG Gelato
  4. Origin of water. PH, EC/TDS of source water? Aquafina bottled, PH 6.2 - 6.5
  5. PH and TDS/EC of if mixed solution?
  6. Grow method? Soil, Soil-less, Coco, Hydro, Aquaponics. Please explain. Mix of Fox Farm Ocean forest, Happy Frog and Strawberry fields. (bottom 1/3 of pot is Strawberry fields, rest is around a 50/50 mix of ocean forest and frog.
  7. Nutrients or fertilizer system used. Fox Farm Trio with their Calmag
  8. What type of lighting are you using? LED, HID (MH, CMH, HPS), or Fluorescents? Please elaborate. SpiderFarmer SE3000 hanging 30’’ above canopy.
  9. What are the temps in your growspace? Day / Night? 70f to 78f
  10. What is the RH = relative humidity in your growspace? Day / Night? 45-50
  11. AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier? O\nly used humidifier first few weeks
  12. Do you have a Ventilation system? Size? 4", 6"? - 4" exhaust
  13. Co2 Yes / No? - No
  14. How long have you been growing? 35 days lol
  15. What budget have you set in order to grow successfully? Spent maybe a grand so far
2 Likes

First 3 pictures here are the og gelato. 2 up close of the issue then 1 overview

3 Likes

This set of pictures if my alaskan purp with the terrible leaf clawing. few up close and an overview of plant

3 Likes

I forgot to mention I had my SpiderFarmer Se3000 at 60% power ( i started at 20 from seedlings and slowly raised it) I have since lowered it back down to 45% in hopes it would help the curling on the alaskan purp but not changes so far.

I have a plant that is 14 weeks old and has not flowered yet. I grew three others from the same strain and had no problems. I just switched the lights to 12/12, how long does it typically take to change over to flowering?

3 Likes

You adding any CalMag in with your waterings? @WhoDey

A photo after flip will typically show pistols around 10-14 days.

Welcome @Cburgos and @WhoDey to the Best Forum available!!

2 Likes

I added a VERY small amount for the first time 2 days ago. I was afraid of nute burning the plants because I read that its normally best to cut the recommended amounts at least in half. I cut mine more into 1/4 or 1/8 of a dose

I typically add 5 ml per gallon when I water. Keep an eye on your new growth. Improvements show up there. Damaged leaves will not change.

2 Likes

Thank you! Hoping to gain some knowledge from everyone here!

1 Like

Depends on the strain. Some flip over night, others can take up to two weeks.

let me be the first to recommend you practice lifting your pot. Get used to the weight of it when it’s dried and ready for water. Then lift it again after you’ve watered it fully and slowly. It sounds a bit like your soil may be hydrophobic - it might have had an opportunity to dry out so much in some spots that it’s repelling the water and creating “runoff” before it’s actually saturated.

Your gal is clawing like she may have a: nitrogen toxicity or b: wind burn.

@Fieldofdreams ‘s suggestion is good - I’d be watering her with CalMag at the recommended rate (whatever it is). No other nutrients right now, but water her more. (More volume, don’t increase frequency). I’d start with a half gallon of water, nice and slow, all over the whole surface of the soil, and see if your pot is noticeably heavier after doing so.

3 Likes

It was suggested to me to use yucca when the soil became water repellant. A good investment is one of those pump sprayers for watering. You are then watering at a slower pace and you will see less water coming out the sides. I have also pulled my fabric bags out of the tent and let them soak in a tub to wick up water and then let them drip drain before going back in the tent.

Best to you!

3 Likes

My initial thought is nutrient toxicity?? Are you watering to run off and checking the PH and PPMS from the run off :love_you_gesture:

Looks like you have some knowledgeable folks helping. I just wanted to welcome you to the forum. This forum is filled with knowledgeable and helpful folks. Its great. I hope you get your problems resolved and I hope your buds are fat and frosty

2 Likes

Welcome to the neighborhood. I believe you have been given some good advice on how to correct your issues. Happy Growing :blush::v:

1 Like

Welcome to the neighborhood :blush:. First your plant looks healthy. It typically takes 10 to 14 days to start seeing signs of pre flower. Happy growing :blush::v:

Welcome to the forum @Cburgos and @WhoDey . You are in good hands with all these knowledgeable people. They will help in all your needs if you can help them with their questions. Dont get overwhelmed with said questions. It is alot to take in sometimes.

If i don’t use this method I splash/spill all over the leaves and that we know, looks ugly as sin.

1 Like

Well I found my issue. Runoff ph was 4.8!!! ppm were at 1600. I flushed each plant with a gallon of 7.2 ph water only. I guess its time to get some dolomite to mend into the soil next watering

2 Likes

GOOD catch. I had a broken PH pen slowing me down. But I can get there.
Today, I waterboarded a 3gal with 1 gal, after submerging in a gallon of water in 5gal bucket.
Top dressed with the good stuff and added a quart. Run-off THEN collected and measured 6.5@1550.
Only took 5 months to SWAG these soils, because I thought I could do it without dolomite lime, even when Forum said add it.
Good luck to you

1 Like