First grow & enjoying it! (Amnesia Haze Autoflower)

Thanks @OlyBoy98503 ! Definitely an exciting time to watch the buds fatten up haha I also continue to be shocked by Cristina’s turnaround and recovery from her rough childhood. I am so curious how her yield will turn out compared to the others!

Day 78

While the weather’s been nice, I noticed a caterpillar for the second time in two days! This time the caterpillar must’ve been munching away heavy - the way I found him was by noticing a fragment of a fresh and healthy leaf on the ground. I knew it had to be a pest and eventually I saw the fuzzy green caterpillar latched to Topanga. He actually chewed a whole fragment of nug off! So that kinda sucks, i guess I won’t know the exact yield when all is said and done but I’m keeping this little nug fragment to dry out and sample in a couple weeks!

I ended up just killing the caterpillar instead of throwing it like I did the previous, and I left its guts all out on the porch as a warning for any others. Might have to make a garlic/soap spray one of these days :confused:

Day 79

Fed the ladies their usual feeding - full dose of Jack’s Classic blossom booster (1/2tsp per gal) and half dose of CalMag (1/2tsp per gal), 24oz each

Days 80-83

Had dry warm and sunny weather! Didn’t notice any new bugs.

Day 84

Weather started sunny and humid. Had a light rain while the girls were outside but then around 7:30pm large thunderstorms started so they’re spending the night inside.

Here were the ladies this evening, under the “mood lights” I have over the bathtub.

Harriet

Althea

Marley

Cristina

Topanga

I’m starting to see more purpling on Harriet as well now, not just Topanga. Maybe it’s a strain thing not a cold temperature thing as I predicted because it wasn’t cold at all recently!

I can definitely see the nutrient burns getting more intense on the leaves and many of the leaves are turning yellow and dying now. I read this is normal and should typically start at the bottom of the plant. My theory was that by continuing to supply weekly doses of nutrients that there would be less cannibalism needed to direct nutrients to the top growth. But now I’m thinking maybe the plant is nearing the end of its life and it’s time to stop feeding and prepare for the 1-2 week flush before harvesting. I haven’t used a microscope on the trichomes of the nugs yet but since the majority of pistils seem to be red and the higher up leaves are now turning yellow, I am thinking harvest time is probably near. Would you agree that it’s a good time to start the 1-2 week flush now in preparation for harvest?

Today marks 12 weeks from sprout (many articles said harvest would be 12 weeks from seed). And i believe flowering officially began on day 33, meaning they have been flowering for 51 days (about 7 weeks). Most articles I’ve read for this strain say the flowering stage is 8 weeks, while others say 10-12 weeks. Would it be wise to feed for another 2 weeks and then begin flushing just to be sure I’m not unnecessarily cutting out 2 weeks of growth? I’m not sure if I even have a magnifying glass but maybe that’s what I need to truly know? I’m thinking either way I will use only water the next time I water them but input on this would be so appreciated!

Thanks for reading! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here is a closeup of the nug the caterpillar chewed off on day 78. This is a pic with the only crappy magnifying glass I have. Is this enough to indicate those are cloudy trichomes and it’s a good time to flush? Wish I could provide a better photo but this is the closet I can get right now.

Day 85

Well today I decided that the girls will get flushed tomorrow and they’ll be harvested in 2 weeks. But I also made a very unfortunate discovery - Harriet has a thrip problem :frowning: I created a new linked topic if you’d like to read and/or help me with advice because it’s not looking good for her!

Any input is so appreciated! The girls are so close to the end and I just want to do what I can to cross that finish line :pray:

1 Like

Day 89

Well the bug situation has improved for Harriet! That first day I found like 30 bugs which I found out were aphids. The next few days I only found 2-3 per day. And today with a thorough inspection I found zero! So hopefully just manually picking off the aphids from under the leaves and killing them did the trick! Gonna keep monitoring in case any eggs were laid or anything like that but I am cautiously optimistic.

Kinda crazy harvest is a little over a week away! I don’t have a good enough magnifying glass to really look at the trichomes but I think I can see hints of amber on some of the nug trichomes with just my eyes so I feel like this is the right time (I’m hoping for a more energizing effect anyways).

Here were the ladies this morning:

Harriet

Althea

Marley

Cristina

Topanga

Thanks for reading!

2 Likes

Day 92

Almost wondering if I should try to milk one more 1/4 dose feeding for all of them except Harriet, since I could probably squeeze a little more growth and just flush them after that, but Harriet should probably be harvested soon due to the fact that she might still have a bug issue and I don’t want to risk her infecting the others. Does another mini 1/4 feeding seem like a good idea?

I’ve seen some other grow journals that actually had ~37 days of veg and ~78 days of flowering time for this exact strain from ILGM. Mine had ~33 days of veg and today marks day 58 of flower so maybe I’m losing out on some yield by flushing for one more week then harvesting. If I have as much time as the other journals, I could probably do a quarter feeding this time for all except Harriet and then a week later begin the 2 week flush (which would be flowering day 73 as the final watering and flowering day ~76 as harvest day)

I know my ladies are small & I wanna see em grow if I can but with that much nute burn and so much foliage dying off on most of them, maybe I’d be doing more damage than good? Any input would help on that!

Here’s the ladies this afternoon. Noticing some yellowing and just overall loss of large fan leaves in Marley so maybe she’s ready to continue flush too but you can see more purpling in Topanga’s leaves and she kinda looks a little hungry for more food :joy:

Harriet

Althea

Marley

Cristina

Topanga

Thanks for reading!

2 Likes

Let me start by saying I have no idea how amnesia haze is supposed to look when it’s ready for harvest. That being said, reading your posts and looking at your buds I think they can wait another week or two. Maybe little bit longer. (Need clearer picture of the buds.)

But you have five plants of identical strain right now. And anything you’ve done for one you’ve probably done for all of them. Right?

If you’re thinking about trying to save as much from Trixie due to an infestation, why don’t you have a staggered harvest?

Harvest Trixie now. Set a date to harvest two more in two weeks. In the final two, harvest them after you have a good solid showing of Amber trichomes.

Just my two cents.

@Zee @Bulldognuts @AloysiusDevadanderAbercrombie @Covertgrower @Cannabian @Hellraiser @PurpNGold74 @DankBank22 @Enlightened420
What are your thoughts on when to harvest this strain?

ps I can’t believe how well Christine is turning out after her start!

3 Likes

You could harvest now. Up to you though.

2 Likes

Without clear pictures of the Trichromes, it’s hard to say. Depends on the type of high you want, why it’s important to check them.

I like a slight couch lock high, I wait for slight amber.

2 Likes

Dealers choice.
I sampled some of my sativa early before harvest, it was super racey, so I did a similar staggered harvest with the same strain to see which I prefer, so far it’s Amber all the way!

2 Likes

I don’t know. She looks like she’s in the home stretch. If you do feed, I would steer clear of anything with too much N.

They all look like they’re getting close, but it’s hard to tell for sure. I don’t know a lot about AH, but the telltale signs are there. Need to check trichs.

1 Like

Sometimes hard to tell when Haze strains are ready as they like to keep pumping out white pistils and clear trichs, but they look nice and plump, I’d say you could chop anytime now or within the next couple weeks.

3 Likes

Yeah I concur with you on that. Its always hard for me to look at small plants and say thats done, time to harvest. No disrespect on the size thing, but Ive only ever grown m17 mighty mites. Dmallest Ive ever grown and they got stolen. So obviously I never harvested em.

3 Likes

Thank you all so much! All of your advice is so appreciated.

@OlyBoy98503 they are all the same strain treated almost identically but the only real differences were Topanga being the only one to get topped, Cristina skipping a feeding due to being stunted from being overwatered when she was young, and of course the container sizes (with slightlyyy varying soil mixes). Also I love how you called Harriet “Trixie” LOL and I couldn’t agree more about Cristina! She made a serious comeback hahah

@Covertgrower thank you for affirming that!

@Zee it’s interesting you say that because I really do want a more stimulating/energetic high which is why I figured a slightly early harvest might actually be a good thing! I’m not a fan of couchlock :joy:

@Enlightened420 that is very useful info. When you say “racey” I take it you mean it elevated your heart rate and stimulated you? Or maybe it was a less “centered” and collected stimulation? I’m trying to achieve a creative/energetic high but not without cohesion if that makes sense. Wonder if you could explain more how your high experience differed from early harvest to later?

@AloysiusDevadanderAbercrombie Thanks for that, I ended up deciding not to feed Topanga any more (update coming shortly). Fortunately for the ones I did feed, my fertilizer is a 10-30-20 so it’s not terriblyyy heavy on the nitrogen. I’ll be flushig them all at the end anyways so I’m not too worried!

@Hellraiser you are so right!! It’s hard to bring myself to harvest them with fresh straight white pistils forming. But I’m mainly noticing that on only 2 of them so they’re the ones I fed once more (update coming shortly).

@Cannabian no disrespect taken hahah I knew AH would be small and mine are definitely smaller than others but I went into this grow hoping for an ounce of yield. By the looks of it I think i’ll hit my goal so I’ll be happy! Sorry to hear about your stolen mighty mites. I literally had a dream the other day that someone was stealing mine; I was like “nooo it’s not ready yet, if you let me finish it will be way better and we can share it” :joy: :joy: unfortunately my words fell on deaf ears lol

6 Likes

Day 93

After a lot of back and forth, I decided to do a staggered harvest. Here’s the breakdown:

Harriet
Flushed again. Will harvest after 1 more week so on day 100. She still has the occasional aphid but I’ll continue my daily inspections/aphid murders and will do a deep thorough inspection or two during drying and defoliating.

Althea
Not only do I not see any amber color trichomes with my naked eye despite some nugs adopting a pinker color, I still see raw straight white pistils that look like sauerkraut growing so she doesn’t look ready for harvest yet. Fed her 1/2 dose Jacks Classic Blossom Booster (1/4tsp/gal) and 1/4 dose CalMag (1/2tsp/gal).

Marley
I feel like I can definitely see amber on a large portion of her nug trichomes with my naked eye (am I crazy to believe I’m seeing amber trichomes with my naked eye?? I have 20/20 vision and I feel like the mushroom cap trichome colors are visible but maybe I’m wrong). She’s received her second flush and will be harvested after a week, on day 100.

Cristina
I still see raw straight white pistils growing so she doesn’t look ready for harvest yet. Fed her 1/2 dose Jacks Classic Blossom Booster (1/4tsp/gal) and 1/4 dose CalMag (1/2tsp/gal).

Topanga
I noticed some of her nugs appear to have some amber trichomes but some do not, and some nugs even have fresh white pistils growing so I almost wonder if different nugs should be Harvested early and some left to grow a little longer. I just flushed her because I don’t want to give her any nitrogen prior to a potential partial harvest. Think I should feed again if I do indeed do the partial harvest? I don’t want to get greedy and ruin anything so I’ll probably just harvest all of her on day 100.

Interesting takeaway - I’ve noticed that the plants in the larger containers (5gals and 10gal) not only grew larger but also MATURED at a faster rate than the two in the smaller containers. I wonder if this is a common phenomenon? If so, I’ll feel even better about deciding that the plants in the two smallest containers will grow a little longer.

Day 95

Here were the ladies this morning.

Harriet

Althea

Marley

Cristina

Topanga

Thanks for reading!

4 Likes

Day 99

Harvested Harriet, Marley, and Topanga :confetti_ball: I did wet trimming on all of them.

With Marley and Topanga I left a few of the sugar leaves on the buds and I also saved any healthy leaf trimmings in separate jars (I threw away any that were dying/larger fan leaves that may have gotten neem oil/pesticide treatment in their youth).

Here’s Topanga’s “top” before trimming. Those are technically her two main kolas :joy:

And here is Marley pre-trimming.

With Harriet, I did find some of those same aphids in the process of trimming, so I removed almost every leaf I could find (even the sugar leaves) and threw them away. Tossing all those beautiful leaves hurt but I wanted to be as certain as possible that there were no bugs left on the buds. Slightly less of bug-free medicine is far more valuable to me than slightly more bug-ful medicine.

Here is one of the main branches of Harriet after her buzz-cut lol!

I found the trimming process rather therapeutic but it takes way longer than I would have thought! Wowza! The smells are amazing though haha

Here they are hangin out in their drying space (which of course will be in the dark).

I’ll grab better pics another day lol they’re definitely petite ladies but I’m happy to finally be looking at the first fruits of my first grow. They smell amazing (citrusy/fruity/earthy) and are super sticky! Time to let them dry for a week or so.

Day 100

Well, I’m still seein white pistils growing and I feel like it’s still to early to flush Althea and Cristina so I fed them again, their last feeding of 1/2 dose Jacks Classic Blossom Booster (1/4tsp per gal) and 1/4 dose CalMag (1/4tsp per gal), 24 fl oz each.

So next week should begin the flush for them.

And of course, now and forever, thank you for reading lol

2 Likes

Congratulations on the chop!

1 Like

@Covertgrower Thank you!! Just two more to go, but feels so awesome to have my own bud just chilling, curing. It kind of feels like Christmas morning when you put that branch on the trimming tray for the first time lol

2 Likes

Day 107

Fed Althea her official* last feeding of 1/2 dose Jacks Classic Blossom Booster (1/4tsp per gal) and 1/4 dose CalMag (1/4tsp per gal), 24 fl oz.

Gave Cristina her first flush, preparing for harvest in 10-14 days.

Day 109

After 10 days of drying, Harriet, Marley, and Topanga were ready for curing. I’ll be burping them for 5 mins a day as they cure for a couple weeks!

Decided to give them a weigh since they’re done drying. Was hoping to net at least 16.5g total across these three to be on track to meet my goal of one ounce yield from all 5 plants.

Harriet
7.24g

Marley
5.60g

Topanga
6.85g

Total so far from 3/5 plants = 19.69g

The totals surprised me! Def thought Topanga would yield the most given that she was topped, and I thought Marley would be the closest competitor due to having the largest container, but somehow Harriet surpassed them both! :joy: and I discarded the most foliage from her too! Crazy comeback, Harriet. Nice.

And it looks like I’m on my way to reaching my 1 ounce goal so that makes me happy!

Day 114

Gave Cristina & Althea water only today. And so begins the flush for Althea, while Cristina should be ready for chopping in a matter of days! Woo!

Notice how Althea is changing colors? Previously I only noticed purpling in the leaves after cold nights but Althea’s actual buds are turning more and more pink with time. The nights have been getting pretty cold (lows of 45 to 50 deg F) consistently so I am guessing that’s the cause. But wow does she look amazing!

Althea

Cristina

Thanks for reading!

3 Likes

Congrats on your harvests! Look at how big Christina has gotten! And after all the problems in the beginning… great job!

1 Like