First Grow, Down and Dirty Cheap Grow - Zkittlez Autoflower

Starting a Grow Journal for first time grower. I have selected the Zkittlez Autoflower. Setup will be as cheap as possible while maintaining control of grow. Below will be the setup as it is right now, pictures to come later. This grow will be to see how cheap one can be to grow. Follow along as I ride this journey.

Cabinet grow area: 47"Hx31"Wx21"D, Tin foil on walls for reflection
Light: $70 Giixer 1000W LED Grow Light, Dual Switch & Dual Chips Full Spectrum LED Grow Light Hydroponic Indoor Plants Veg and Flower-1000 watt (10W LEDs 100Pcs)
(Note: yes might be low but I want to see what I can get away with)
Water: RO
Nutes: $60 Total Sensi Grow & Bloom A&B
Growing Vessel: $4 5gal bucket
Growing Medium: $45 Mother Earth Coco+Perlite
Fans: $??? Two personal size fans (Will be picking up today)
Venting: None, cabinet doors will be opened a little if needed
Heating Mat: Not sure what kind or price I have had for years and years.

Received seeds on 4-27-21. Placed seed into glass with RO water on heating mat. Left in water for 24hrs and with no tail showing at the 24hr mark, but seed had sunk to bottom. Moved seed to wet paper towel and zip lock bag and set on heating mat. Within 8hrs seed had show signs of a tail. Gingerly place seed tail down into soil in a clear cup on heating mat. Decided to use clear cup to visual see roots and dryness of soil. Not sure if it will make a big difference.

This morning marks day 1, seedling has emerged from its slumber.

Light will be kept at 15" distance from seedling. Watering will be kept to spray bottle when needed with no nutes.

2 Likes

Hate to break it to you but that blurple is only 110 watts. Won’t flower your whole space.

2 Likes

Welcome @Shazm to the forum.
First thing to do is put the clear cup in an opaque cup like a red solo cup. Roots hate light and will die if exposed to straight white light. But lots of people do clear cups inside dark cups so the root development can be seen. Yes your light is underpowered but I did a decent plant under a similar one. Turn on both switches now. Those actually work pretty well for veg stage of growth. If you can upgrade for the flowering stage you will get better results, but if not you will get good product. Just not as much as a better light will give you.

2 Likes

Yes I know. Like I stated I want to see what I can get away with for a cheap cheap build. Thanks for the comment.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. I can’t believe I didn’t think about the roots and light. Yes light will be upgraded later on just want to see how cheap I can go to start.

3 Likes

I grew a few under a light very similar to that. So save up for better light and learn with this one.
If you post photos use your flash or move to natural light. Purple pictures are of no help to us if you need help diagnosing a problem.
You will love this forum. Its well moderated and filled with fun people who just want you to succeed.

3 Likes

I’m not familiar with the advanced nutrients line, growing in coco you’ll need cal-mag if not provided by your base nutes.

1 Like

Growing in Coco myself using Jacks 321 and its the best and easiest grow I have done.

2 Likes

Do you have a link to the exact one you use? On amazon there are multiple to pick from.

Do you mean my current light or the one I started with.
There are already better lights than my current ones.

sorry I meant the jack 321

2 Likes

This is just a pic of the two parts from Jacks that you need.
You will also need epsom salt. but you can get that anywhere.
In a single gallon I mix 1/2 tsp on Part A, the 5-12-26
Then 1/4 tsp of epsom salt and mix well
Then add 1/2 tsp of part B, the 15.5-0-0
You can also weigh the doses out if you have an accurate scale that does fractions of grams.

3 Likes

I order them from ebay…it is also available on Amazon.
Comes in 2.2 lb or 25lb bags but the ebay sellers package smaller amounts if you just want to try it out.
Its very cheap and lasts a long time.

1 Like

Thanks man for the info. I will try this stuff on the second plant, to see differences in results. I am currently in small area so just doing one at a time.

Check out this thread from a different grower.
This is why I decided to try it.
The discussion gets a bit off the rails toward the end but it is fun.

1 Like

Welcome aboard @Shazm. Got Zkittlez auto going myself.

1 Like

Day 2

Seedling has grow a little. And seedling has said goodbye to its helmet. No water needed as of yet. Dome will stay on for now.

Here is pic of the setup, turned light off for a hot sec to get a good pic. Ignore the veg tray seedlings those won’t be there much longer. if you want to know what’s in there. I have cucumbers, bell peppers and jalapeños. Zkittlez seedling is in blue cup with dome.

2 Likes

Thanks man. Do you have a journal going for yours?

No journal but this is 3 and they are 6 weeks old from sprout

3 Likes