First Grow Day 39 Flower copper spots on top cola

I’m having a problem with one of my plants. I accept this is uncorrectable at this point and was likely caused weeks ago, but I want to understand what I did wrong so I can fix future grows. At first I had a few spots on one top cola and I thought it stabilized but now I have many copper spots, the second cola is showing early signs. This is my first grow so I’m not going to cry (too much) but I am planning to harvest in about 2.5 weeks so maybe I can ride this out. This is the only plant that is in a plastic pot that does not have run off holes near the bottom (my others are cloth pots). While I am “running off” I think there is pooling in the lower 3/4 inch of the pot so I’m wondering I’ve I’m having some kind of lock out. The plant otherwise looks ok. I have attached photos of the Cola Bad and Cola Good as well as an under shot of the most affected leaves. Thanks in advance let the photo biopsy commence!
HP Pro Mix
Advanced Nutrients Grow, Bloom, Micro (4ml/L) B-52, Overdrive (2ml/L)
Viparspectra LED 600w (actual usage max 312w)
R.O. Water
PH 5.6-5.8
PPM 1050-1150
I think my temps are low 78 day 67 night (I’ll fix that in the next grow)
I haven’t been checking run off (I’ll fix that next grow)

1 Like

I think it would be better if you could get photos in natural light! I know it’s definitely helpful for everyone looking at issues. I think we should tag a couple of the site guys here to look at her @Majiktoker, @garrigan62

1 Like

Natural light would be good and one representative shot in it’s own post for zooming capability :blush:.

When is the last time you checked your ph meter?

When is the last time you flushed?

Tds is a bit high. Do you have a runoff tds?

What is your pot size?

What is your feeding regimen?

@EclecticJack

3 Likes
  • Plant is pictured below, 49 inches to top cola. She might not be pretty but she’s mine :wink:
  • I have not checked my Ph meter in a while. In the first few weeks it seemed dead on when comparing to drops, so I laxed on the double checking. I’ll do that before my next post.
  • Well I’m quite new to this I’ve never flushed. I was only going to flush in the last week using AV Flawless Finish. Would love feed back on my frequency and if anyone has used Advanced Nutrients line. Again this is my first grow ever.
  • I have never taken run off numbers. I was going to work on that skill during the flushing period.
    – in my own defense, I didn’t know enough about run off in the beginning so I didn’t put the plants in very reachable positions.
  • This pot size is 1.1 gal. My smartpots are 3 gals
  • I feed when they need. I feed til they over dribble from the bottom then sop it up so they don’t sit in it. (one I put on a wire rack, I may go that route next grow.

I have learned a crapload of info this first grow all from bag seeds. When it’s all done I’ll post more photos here. Harvest should be in about 2.5 weeks. Thanks in advance again!
@Myfriendis410 @FreakyDeekie

1 Like

Apparently you have to click on the one photo to see the full plant height. Top photo I think.

1 Like

First off, I am thinking she might be root-bound but not sure that is directly related to the discoloration of the leaves, especially when it isn’t affecting any other colas. No bugs? No partial break in a lower part of the stem?

1 Like

I’m gonna call in John although he’s traveling but uses Promix. @Countryboyjvd1971 might have some input. @bob31 @garrigan62 too. They are going to want to see a support ticket so here you go.

COPY/PASTE: This “Support Ticket” into your forum post.
Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so = NA

Strain; Type, Bag seed, or NA

Soil in pots, Hydroponic, or Coco?

System type?

PH of runoff or solution in reservoir?

What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS

Indoor or Outdoor

Light system, size?
Temps; Day, Night

Humidity; Day, Night
Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size
AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,

Co2; Yes, No
Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer. Feel free to elaborate, but short, to the point questions and facts will help us help you smile

I’m suspecting a lockout due to ph but you could be root bound as well. IMO you have more than 2 weeks to go though.

I know you answered a lot of this but it really will help.

If you haven’t calibrated your meter, you really should. GH Standard Reference Solution is cheap and is also a good storage medium to keep the electrodes moist.

2 Likes

No bugs, no breaks, no mold on the soil.
This is the only plant I topped to see what would happen. That cola leaves are hurting, the other is just starting to show the same signs this one did about 1.5 weeks ago. That’s why I’m hoping to ride it out.
I’ll remember to check the roots at the end.

• I did break a stem on a different plant early on by accident. I fixed it with plumbers tape and oddly enough it’s actually now one of the bigger buds on that plant.

2 Likes

The branch ends up stronger than before. It’s a technique used by me and many others to improve yield.

1 Like

Strain; Type, Bag seed, ILGM… name of strain: Unknown strains. Plucked from low grade bags
How many plants: 4
Age from Sprout and Flower: Day 39 Flower (day 79 overall)
Soil in pots, Hydroponic, or Coco / Brand and type of Soil & Size of Pots: Pro Mix HP
How often do you water and how do you determine when to do so? roughly 1-2 days. If they soil looks dry I finger check to first knuckle and make a judgement call on if it would make 24 more hours.
PH of water and runoff or solution in reservoir: PH is 5.6-5.8. Have not tested run off to date. I really didn’t understand it’s importance until very recently. Somehow I missed that in all my reading
What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS: 1050-1150 PPM at about 95% Strength based on Advanced Nutrients Grow, Bloom, Micro (4ml/L) B-52, Overdrive (2ml/L)
Indoor or Outdoor: indoor
Light system, size and height from plants: 49inches height plant in question. Light is about 20-ish inches from the plant. Single Model: ViparSpectra 700w dimmable Blue, White, Red. Putting out 315-ish actual watts
Temps; Day, Night: day 77, night 68. I know it’s a little cool, I’ll work on that next grow
Humidity; Day, Night: last 24H 49-65% humidity.
Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size: 6" ducting, Carbon filter, 440CFM fan. 4x4x7 tent. Additional “desk fan” for blowing the tops of the plants.
AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier: No to all three.
Co2; Yes, No: No.
@Myfriendis410 @Countryboyjvd1971 @bob31 @garrigan62

2 Likes

Any thoughts on splitting the stalk?

Calcium def

I’m not sure I understand. But, 3 gallon pots will work fine for Autoflowering plants, but a regular indoor grow of photoperiods they need a minimum 5 gallon pot.

Before they flowered would have been the time to transplant, but if they are flowering we would need to consider all the options.

As @Donaldj pointed out the Ca deficiency. One reason for this is a pH that is too high. As you can see from the chart anything above 5.8 in a soiless medium will lockout Calcium.

Nutrient_Chart2

He’s growing soilless but it’s Promix. Is it subject to the same calcium issues as coco? If so, a continuous regimen of cal mag, particularly with R/O water, is called for. A ph issue would exacerbate the issue. @bob31

Yeah, I meant to say cal-mag and i took another drink of beer and another toke. @Myfriendis410 I give cal-mag now once a month starting at flowering and it seems to make a lot of difference.

1 Like

Well I seem to remember John saying that you don’t have the calcium issues with Promix that you do with coco. @bob31

2 Likes

To clarify the plant with the problem is in the 1.1 gal plastic pot I put holes in to aerate. The other plants in 3 gal smart pots are all doing ok…for a first try. Tall and sturdy, but not huge buds by far. I wanted to be sure I had the aptitude before spending on seeds.

To recap, should I intentionally vary the pH from 5.5 to 6.1? It seems if I aim for a steady pH (which I’ve been doing), I’m going to end up locking something out. @bob31 @Donaldj @Myfriendis410

First you need to calibrate your meter. Then you need to give your plants a dose of cal mag to replenish calcium.

With soilless media I water or feed daily. Generally a feed water feed water cycle with 10% runoff every time.

I don’t know. John will be around tomorrow morning or later tonight. I haven’t used Pro-Mix and I haven’t read their literature. @Myfriendis410 @Countryboyjvd1971

@EclecticJack and once you get that meter calibrated pH to 5.8

Please look at the chart. (Ignore the "Range and look at the center number. Thats where you want to be. Even if you are in that "Range you are on the edge of lockout and too much either way and you are creating deficiency.

Nutrient_Chart2

1 Like

I think you have a better grasp of the answer than you are giving yourself credit for

a little drift isn’t always a bad thing and calcium is a fickle lady in that it either comes in the soil or is sourced from bottled nutrients.

Too much N in your ladies or a lack of iron calcium or magnesium retard bud development the effect is most obvious in the smallest pot since the medium is quicker to be depleted :wink: Calcium usually comes in the form of calcium (nitrate) this is why she is a fickle beast being sourced from a nitrate (nitrogen) is also a component which slows bud growth, so it is fine tuned balancing act getting enough without too much. Most balanced nutrient systems have enough :slight_smile:
The fact your pot is 1 Gal and likely root bound compounds issue as roots will actually effect ph in the medium Honey is a good source of Calcium and mag also Blackstrap Molassas which also adds trace amounts of sulfer but if you choose to use either or both add tsp to gal and only 1-2 times during flower much more and they attract pests.

4 Likes