First Grow by Mrs. Daisy

@spyonyou should I defoliate these big girls a bit?

4 Likes

Have you flipped to 12/12?

No not yet. I think im going to let them get to around 3 feet first. So probably another 2 weeks-ish. Was thinking strip 1 week before flower and let them recover then flip?

1 Like

Well as far as defoliation, honestly, I’m not sure I’m one to say anything about that. I tend to be extreme when it come to trimming.

I’ve never seen one grow like the 3 of yours simply because of the way I grow. Not only that, but in hydro, I have yet to see a plant slow down after abusing them… lol
I’m not sure how long it take ms to recover.

I do believe you can take some off the bottom, because they won’t make it to the height of the rest of the plant. Maybe a couple off the middle to open up it a little for some light.

When you hear about them doubling in height, trust me, some plants will do it easy. 3 ft, to 6 ft in 3 - 4 weeks easily.

If you’d like we can tag some folks and get their opinion. :+1:t2::v::sunglasses:

2 Likes

Lol yea thats me too. I think that’s why I’m scared to let myself loose on my girls. They are fully clothed now but heck they could end up naked! Yes please if you wouldn’t mind tagging!

3 Likes

“should I defoliate these big girls a bit?”

@Myfriendis410 @dbrn32 @MattyBear @Covertgrower @BobbyDigital @CMichGrower @Not2SureYet @beardless @Arrow @peachfuzz

Can y’all help a sister out with some trimming advise please? See picture above. Thanks a million! :+1:t2::v::sunglasses:

5 Likes

I don’t usually defol during veg except when I get bushes like that, lol. Tucking isn’t going to work well in that situation. I clean up the bottoms and take some of the larger leaves to allow for airflow through the plant.

8 Likes

Bobby got you…increase airflow by selectively taking some leaves …:sunglasses::v:

3 Likes

I’m the same, don’t really take too much from plants in veg. Hopefully about 20ish days after flip they will have stretched out for you a little. That would be right about the ideal time to selectivity prune stuff that won’t develop as much. As far as removing fan leaves, I use kind of opposite method. I start at top and remove the upper most fan leaf from each stem then take a look and repeat until plant is shaped to my liking. My thought process is more along the line of getting light to bud sites during flower and leaving lower foliage to collect any light that makes it through.

There’s several ways you can be successful, just go in steps and assess plants often. Fan leaves should come back quickly too if everything else is good.

7 Likes

I think we are all singing the same song. I posted these photos a couple of days ago. They are of my Purple Haze on day 51. They are growing fast and I need to be flipping them soon.

So in preparing them for flower I usually defoliate / strip the bottom third or slightly more of the plant.
That is what I did

This is the first leaf stripping. I had not removed any leaves until now. I will do another light once over if needed when I flip in a couple of days.
I will do it again over a week’s time during the second week of flower. This one is to maintain the open bottom, remove lower buds and big fan leaves blocking bud sites. After week 3 of flower let them do their thing. Grow and build flowers. I very selectively remove bigger long-stemmed fan leaves and secondary buds that would not amount to any thing.
Hope this helps.

6 Likes

I do exactly the same thing when I have to thin a vegging plant (which I had to do on one this grow) followed by selective leaf removal as the plant grows. 3 weeks into flower plants get a good pruning.

6 Likes

Thank you everyone for your input. Im probably gonna clean them up alittle tonight nothing crazy then I will do as follows when flowering comes!!

4 Likes

Mine keeps looking like this lol, it’s a never ending battle to combat the bushiness. However, that means they’re healthy. They look great.

2 Likes

If I’m taking anything during vegg , it’s usually the tops for cloning to try to keep the plant short because I don’t have the room to put them into flower yet…
During flower i take everything from underneath that hasn’t hit the first net after 3 weeks from light flip… :+1::wink:
After that I usually don’t do anything else to them , because I’m either being lazy or i just don’t have the time…
:v::sunglasses:

8 Likes

Pistols are starting to turn brown alittle bit? Lol wtf?!? Also is there anyway she could be starting to canabiliz already? Found this nasty yellow leaf. It was touching the dirt tho. But still some of leaves are starting to yellow alittle. Tips have always shown alittle bit of nute burn for her whole life.

2 Likes

Getting there😀

1 Like

No problems there. Yellow leaf is not uncommon. You may loose a couple more before it’s over. Leafs touching the soil will almost always die off.
They’re looking great! :+1:t2::v::sunglasses:

3 Likes

So foam floor came up im pretty sure the fungus gnats just loved it under there and we can’t have that! Watered 1 girl tonight and lifted the lights to 24 inches to try and get them to stretch a tad bit. Bruce banner auto it getting some more pistols on her. I plucked more leaves and tied her down as best I could ( she’s almost got TOO many tops to tie down). GG auto is still chugging right along and the room is pretty pungent! I haven’t stripped any leaves from my photos yet I know I should but im alittle scared they are so pretty and I don’t want to mess them up. But sometimes this week I will get around to plucking the big fan leaves! Most definitely will be flipping in the next 2 weeks-ish! (Don’t mind my dirty nails I’ve been digging in alot of dirt!!) Almost done with my front flower beds!!

4 Likes

plants are looking great (so are the flower beds). i just did the second cleanup on my this past weekend. i was a little early on the first and they just got all weedy again before i planted/mulched.
when i was digging them up i noticed the soil seemed a little lackluster. i thought to myself "this bed could use a little Fish Sh!t and Recharge. lol
so they will be getting a “special feeding” this weekend when i install the new flowers.

i like the stone edging!

1 Like

Thank you! Lol who doesn’t love fish poop! I would love to see your finally product post pics!! When we moved i had to leave most of my flowers behind 🥲 ha my realtor said they came with the house, go figure! And the husband probably would have killed me if I tried to pack a million flowers into the uhaul! So I started over and I am pleased so far with how it turned out just waiting on my bulbs to pop up!

2 Likes