First grow, Beginner Mixpack, lots to learn

Since this is my first shot at this, I decided to name it the same way I try to live my life, I call it the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) grow. I decided on Fox Farms soil and nutrients, Cal-Mag, Hydroponics PH kit. I know I’ll need more nutrients,but that’ll get me started. I’ve also got PH meter, PPM meter, weather station, CO2 tracker, and oh yeah, the Mixpack, plus some Bubblegum, White Widow, and Gold Leaf seeds from the great people at ILGM. Quick tent stats:
Tent is Gorilla 5X5X8
Light is California Lightworks SolarSystem 550 400W w/controller (This thing Rocks!)
AC Infinity 6" Cloudline w/controller
IPower 6" Carbon filter
Everything’s ready to go, seeds arrived at 4PM on the 24th, were in their little water jars at 4:10 (10 minutes of Happy Dance). They should be ready to put into the next home this afternoon, In spite of my anticipation, I haven’t checked on them yet. I’m ready to start this adventure.

12 Likes

Awesome! Best of luck! :v::bear:

3 Likes

Nice setup! :+1::metal:

3 Likes

@StaggerLee off to a great start! Keep us posted!

1 Like

Great start and Welcome to the forum @StaggerLee
I’ll be following along as well. Best of luck to you.

1 Like

Thanks, everyone. All 10 seeds popped, 5 were ready for the Solo cups, the other 5 didn’t seem quite ready, the tap root was only 1/4". I put those back for another 5-6 hours, and I’ll transfer them tonight. The other 5 are in the tent with the lights programed to R13/W26/B26 at 18" above the cups on a 18/6 cycle. Here we go, this is going to be fun.

9 Likes

Good luck with the grow!

3 Likes

It’s exciting your first grow good luck

Cigars for everybody!!! When I checked on them this morning, one of the Blue Dreams had sprouted! 18 hours after I put it in the cup. I’m a Dad!! Obviously she must’ve been ready. I came back this afternoon and she had sprouted two perfect real leaves. And the second Blue Dream had sprouted. Within 24 hours. Humidity is a problem, it’s really dry here, I’m using the fan in front of a wet towel until I can get a small humidifier. I’ve also tented the cups with baggies to help. I’ll take those off when the humidity rises or they sprout. I’ve also ordered a voice recorder to make it easier on my notes. I forget stuff sometimes as soon as I turn around.

9 Likes

Congrats! You have a great setup, best of luck with your grow!

3 Likes

Ok, it’s now day 12 and I’ve got six really good looking plants, except… on day 9, while moving the tray out of the tent to move it, I dropped it. Luckily, none of them landed to far from their Solo cups, so I was able to get them all back in the right ones. Got a unique chance to look at the root system and I was impressed. Gave them some water, made an offer to the Pot Goddess CannaMary. Put them back in the tent, and made another offer. By day 11 it was like nothing happened. Even better today, I may have to raise the light a little bit soon. Looking ahead, I’m thinking of getting another tent to start my next grow, then dry this one. That way I could gain a month or so, and solve the problem of where to dry. A 4" carbon filter and fan should do it. Topogrow has the perfect tent, it has a seedling area with T5 lights that come with it.

3 Likes

Everything seems to be going good, except getting some spots on the Gold Leaf, still they all are looking strong. I need to do some research on those spots.

The Banana Kush leaf was injured when they fell.

5 Likes

Day 17 Looks like some discoloration on the lower leaves. They’re in Fox Farm soil and I’m giving them just water with a PH of 6.5. Thinking of upping the power on the lights to R26/W50/B50 and raise them a couple of inches.

6 Likes

You have a nice setup there @StaggerLee. I set my lights using a PAR meter.

If you opt to adjust light intensity and spectra, I would invest in a decent PAR meter.
You would be astonished at what you discover when you start measuring light levels as opposed to judging light levels with your eyes.

5 Likes

Probably seeing some slight discoloring due to being rootbound in the solo cups :wink::v::bear:

4 Likes

Thanks, got one on the way now. With all the meters I had to get, that one slipped through. I’ll put them in their 2 gal fabric pots tomorrow. When should I add C02? It’s at around 600 PPM now.

2 Likes

I don’t use Co2 so I’m not sure, but I wouldn’t think you need it yet :v::bear:

1 Like

Congrats looking good!

1 Like

You were right @MattyBear, they were ready to stretch out. First time I water, I’m planning on using Fox Farms Big Bloom at 1/2 strength.

5 Likes

It looks like they all survived their first topping, day 23. FIMed the first two, until I realized my fingers and eyes aren’t 40 anymore and used the snips. So we’ll see how those go in comparison to topping them. Used 1/2 strength Fox Farms Big Bloom & 1/2 strength CAL-MAG.

8 Likes