First grow and journal Mulegal here

@mulegal if you are ever stuck somewhere without a bar of soap, I hate when that happens!, find a wild lilac bush in flower and bingo there is your soap!

2 Likes

Been packing in the backcountry with only dish soap at hand. Thatā€™s a bit rough on the skin, but a dip in a mountain lake usually removes the dust and stank.

1 Like

You work them or just have them as pets @mulegal
They are great
I wish i had more property 2-1/2 ac isnā€™t enough lol
I can have a horse tho so a mule is probably ok to in the zoning haha

Here is my first prototype of scrog frame. Pieces just slipped together, not glued. Trying to get size etc dialed in. Course I donā€™t know how big the plant will get. :thinking: planning 2 JH photos in this center raised bed. 9 sq ft per plant. And will TRY to keep them at under 5ā€™. 4ā€™ would be even better.

This screen area is about 3ā€™x3ā€™ which I think will be a good size for each plant. I got some smooth cotton twine and think 3"x3" will be about right grid size. I put WillaJuana in there just to get some perspective.

Still not decided on height. Actually undecided if planting directly in bed or in BIG fiber pot half buried in bed. ( And this will determine the height needed) Concern is that about once a month, the flood irrigation comes right up to the raised bed boards. I have encountered blossom end rot on my tomatoes planted here after this happened and I suspect itā€™s been due to the sudden flood and slow 8 hr soak in time. Maybe Iā€™ll try one fiber pot 1/2 buried in the bedā€¦ Or maybe Iā€™ll just keep a better control of the irrigation waterā€¦hahahaha. It usually happens during overnight turn.

Anyhow I might use this scrog base and make the top smaller and use it for one of the autos that I will grow in a pot. Other auto will be in the ground elsewhere.

This is experimental summer 101 hahahahaha

7 Likes

Lots to read up on here
Nice grow ya got goin
Gonna try and catch up on reading just found your journal

1 Like

So, a couple of observations:

I would build it so you can adjust the height.

If using a fabric pot, size the base of the SCROG to the outside of the fabric pot then tie wrap it to the pot.

Some pan head sheet metal screws pre drilled will hold some parts together so that you can use the SCROG to carry the plants if need be.

A synthetic line that is rated for outside (UV protection) would last longer than a cotton twine which will rot in the weather.

If I were doing an outside SCROG I would focus on topping and supercropping to develop as many tops as possible before introducing the screen to the plant. Being taller will mean a larger screen footprint. As to planting in the ground versus half buried; at least 15 gallon and it would give you mobility in the event of an emergency. You can also rotate the plant periodically to give her sunshine on all sides during the summer. Better drainage too.

2 Likes

@Myfriendis410 thanks for the tips. I read about using cotton string, but I guess that was for indoors. So construction/mason type string I guess

Yes topping is definitely in my plans.

And I do plan to make them height adjustable for my smaller 5gallon autos.

Maybe Iā€™ll just make my 3ā€™x3ā€™ top frames now and build the legs at the time of application and simply attach them to the wooden sides of the raised bed. (once Iā€™ve squared them up again ) or are you saying that they should be adjustable height as plant grows?

15 gallon reasonable size for these plants then? Cool thanks again.

1 Like

My feeling is that itā€™s easy and cheap to make it adjustable and if your outdoor girls stretch like mad you may want the ability to elevate the screen more. I just donā€™t know. Iā€™ve seen two tiered screens too but thatā€™s a LOT of work and doubles the cost.

@1BigFella, youā€™re growing outdoor in SoCal arenā€™t you? what would you recommend for a Northern California outdoor grow? 15 gallon? 30 gallon? Itā€™s obviously dependent on how large your plants are.

@mulegal @Myfriendis410 has made a few good point about the twine and what not
As far as training top when top the plant s obut allow the plant to grow out some between toppings remember with photos outdoors you have a long veg window my scrog last year vegged for months
with 3x3 screens you may fill them up fast might wantvto go 4x4 if possible
Just a thought
And a second screen may be needed to support buds later in flower so keep that in mind :wink:
I like it
So you have any wire garden fencing around
I ised that for the screen 2x4 openings in screen

2 Likes

For some reason I like a rectangular opening better than a square one. It seems to be easier to feed the plant material into individual cells sometimes. The screen is a great idea!

2 Likes

The other bonus is its metal and doesnt hild moisture like twine or cord :wink:

1 Like

OK @Countryboyjvd1971 Thanks on the 4x4 top. I could do that. They can sproad out all they want, but I really donā€™t want 12ā€™ plants :open_mouth: :evergreen_tree:

For sure I have field fencingā€¦That will work and save time and money. Maybe Iā€™ll rip some scrap 2x4ā€™s down and make them wood. Might support better and attach wire easier.

So you are telling me I should be ready for monsters?? hahahahaha

3 Likes

A simple wood frame would be perfect for screen! Some large staples and you should be good.

1 Like

Thanks for the tag. Iā€™ll definitely track this. I love them in the Sun!

1 Like

Rhe screen works great imo and is much easier to set up
Well @mulegal the outdoor scrog i had would have been 8-9 fiot for sure if not under that screen maybe bigger

1 Like

I love your garden area @mulegal. WJ looks happy there!!

[quote=ā€œMyfriendis410, post:373, topic:17573ā€]

ā€œA simple wood frame would be perfect for screen! Some large staples and you should be goodā€

Yes, thatā€™s what Iā€™m thinking now. Thanks.

ā€œWell @mulegal the outdoor scrog i had would have been 8-9 fiot for sure if not under that screen maybe biggerā€

Hahaha yes thatā€™s what Iā€™m trying to avoid @Countryboyjvd1971

1 Like

Thanks @McB. I hope my true outdoor plants are happy there.

Had to bring WJ inside this afternoon. A gust of storm wind blew the top off the cold frame and busted it up. Sheā€™s inside leaning toward the slider. If she was a dog sheā€™d be whimpering to go out hahaha

And yes @FloridaSon I think they look happiest out in the sun. I know that Iā€™m happiest outside!

1 Like

what would you recommend for a Northern California outdoor grow? 15 gallon? 30 gallon?

Completely dependent on how big you want to grow. Iā€™m using coco in a 5 gallon square cloth pot outside and my plant has stopped at exactly six feet. That plant had extensive topping, though. Iā€™m using 3 gallon pots inside (coco again) to limit their size to fit under my lights. Even with a SCROG the tops just pop right up every single day. I think they have stopped at about 4 feet now because they are blooming.

All my grow venues (inside and out) have height limits. If there is no limit, then go for it. Particularly now that we are coming into spring. You can veg some plants with supplemental light until the days get long enough, and then grow with all natural light all summer long. You should get some monsters, if you use a big pot.

1 Like