First grow and I'm so confused about nutes!

I am SO NEW to all of this and I’ve been reading a lot of posts in hopes of not having to bug you guys for answers, but I just can’t figure out when to start nutrients. Here’s what I have:

WW autoflower from ILGM
end of 4th week since germination
soil is miracle grow mixed with an organic mushroom compost with worm castings on top
all of my plants are beginning to flower but it’s very early, not quite a week
it’s an outdoor grow with direct sun most of the day
I’m using distilled water since my well water is on the high pH side, 7.6

I just received Fox Farms soil nutrient trio of Big Bloom, Grow Big and Tiger Bloom but I’m afraid to start without some advice. The directions are a bit confusing to me as a novice and I’m reading that others are using a fraction of the recommended dose at first. I don’t want to burn my babies and so far they are very happy.

Sorry if you’ve answered this question a million times and I sure appreciate the wealth of information on this site and thank you in advance.

I would get the plant out of MG as soon as possible. MG nukes your plant with nutes and submarines your pH every time you water.

When in a proper cannabis soil, it is likely that you won’t have to feed for several weeks, depending on which soil you choose.

3 Likes

The miracle Gro already has nutrients in it and if you give it Foxfarm nutrients on top of what is in the miracle grow you will very easily over feed your plants and very well could kill them. Just my thoughts but someone will be along shortly to help you out further as I am new to this also. Although I have read a lot about the miracle grow and Noel a little bit about it. Happy growing

3 Likes

Mg also has time release nutrients in it that ends up releasing nutrients in flower that you don’t need like nitrogen.
I would find a cannabis friendly soil ASAP.
Happy growing.
Just as stated above als☝️

1 Like

Thanks for your advice. Here’s my concern: if I repot the plants at this stage, aren’t they going to go into shock? They are about 18 inches high and have about 12 buds/flowers on them now.

I didn’t realize that they were that old.

Sometimes people get away with MG without a whole lot of problems. It may be your case if you aren’t seeing problems.

I appreciate your advice and think that I’ll just have to take the chance on the MG. I’ll not put the FF fertilizer on them via your advice. Thank you so much for answering!

2 Likes

Never used MG but check out @Dr.ofSmokology he does really well with MG

2 Likes

I agree that you should talk to the Miracle Man (@Dr.ofSmokology) as he is the only MG guru here
And it’s probably not a good idea to disturb the root system at this point

3 Likes

thanks for the tag. ive done ok with the miracle grow. ive been able to see a few grows thru to the end. as for quality of buds? they are enough to satisfy the wife and i but nowhere near the quality of dispensary or what u see on this site grown by others in the good stuff. its easy. it’s convenient. its cheap. but thats the quality your gonna get. i myself and looking at steering away from the MG world.

3 Likes

Can OP use the ff trio safely with mg @Dr.ofSmokology and if so is there a certain time that they should start applying it?

1 Like

when i use Miracle Grow i dont add ANYTHING other than water until i hit flowering. then i only add Terra Florres thru chopy. durring seedling stage i use maybe a cup of water every other day. then in veg i use 1 gallon of water every 2-3 days. i use 5gallon pails so i dont get run off with that. then durring flowering i up it to 2 gallons every 3-4 days with one gallon mixed with the terra florres. 1 gallon of plain water first slowly then the gallon of mix. now i get run off but i dont check it cause it’s pointless. i dont flush at the end either as you will just be continuously feeding it. i just let the pail dry out for the last two days then dark or chop. your choice. hope this helps.

Hello Fully Medicated and thanks for your advice on the mg. My plants have lots of small flowers on every plant and, like you, I haven’t fed them anything since they are in a mixture of mg and compost/worm castings.They are at the end of week 4. Idk anything about Terra Florres and am sitting here with the ff trio and some are telling me not to use it. I see that the Tiger Bloom is a 2-8-4 ration of nutrients. Is that anywhere near the ratio of your Terra Florres? It’s ashamed to purchase something else if a little of the ff Tiger wouldn’t hurt and might help. Of course, I wouldn’t want to chance it and lose my crop either.I thought that I had educated myself enough before starting but clearly I didn’t see that I shouldn’t use mg! Thanks everyone for chiming in. Next time, I’ll know better!

1 Like

if the tiger bloom is all your gonna add i dont see why not. maybe go half strength at first? see how she reacts. what size planter r u in. when i used a 3 gallon pot i was still giving 1 gallon every two to three days with feed durring flowering. my room runs a little on the warm side as well so im not too concerned about over watering.

its not that u shouldn’t use MG its just not recommended. there are way better mediums to use out there but if it fits your time budget and needs go for it. but don’t expect anything high grade. its like our bodies and life itself. what we put into them we will get out of them. treat your body right with the proper foods and youl have a healthy body. over do it on anything and you feel like crap. same goes for plants. proper nutrients give healthy plants. over do it on one thing and your plants will fell like crap.

2 Likes

I’m in 3 gallon pots. So, is that 1 gallon/plant every 3 or 4 days? I think that I’m reading that right. Mine are in full sun 8 hours a day but they’ve been there since seedlings so I didn’t have to harden them off. So far, I’ve been letting just the top layer of soil dry out before watering them pretty thoroughly. I’m really interested to see what I get! This is my first attempt so next time it’ll not be mg. Thanks again!

1 Like

in a 3 gal pot in full sun outside id go with one gal every two days unless it rains. if it rains enough ill start the two day count again. yes per plant.

Thank you for the clarification, advice and patience!

1 Like

no problem. keep me posted on your progress

I will!