First germination problem

So I soaked my first white widow seed in a 1% peroxide solution for 24 hours and the root did pop out (I was so happy!) but it didn’t look quite long enough to me so I left it there for another night. Woke up this morning to see that the shell actually came off completely, leaving the root floating by itself. I went ahead and put it into a jiffy pellet and under the lights in my grow tent, but is it too late for that?
Also, I remember reading something about the shell providing all the nutrients that the seedling needs for the first week or so. With the shell popped off do I need to apply some nutrients a little bit earlier?

The seed husk doesn’t supply the nutrients. The cotyledon do. They’re the rounded, first leaves to open up. If they aren’t attached to the tap root, it won’t survive.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick response! Look like I’m good then, because the cotyledon are still attached.

1 Like

Next time after 24 hrs you should either transfer to a damp paper towel or place in soil. You really dont want the seed submerged in water more than a single day. They do need air to survive.
Hope it goes ok. Sounds like it will.

1 Like