First ever grow Grizzly purp and gooberry outdoors

You should probably holler at @Majiktoker
It’s hot where he grows I believe maybe similar conditions

Photoperiods are what id grow being in hot conditions they can manage the stress better than autos

3 Likes

Are you sure that your not giving them too many nutrients? It looks like more then heat stress to me… :wink:
When temps are high it’s better to give less nutrients because the plants want more water and tend to want it more frequently… :wink:

:v: :sunglasses:

1 Like

You may be into something regarding nutrient burn. I ramped up nutrients upon transplant not realizing that they just need water.

I stopped feed and increased water, added shade.

Some are showing new signs of life! They’re definitely behind the curve but whatever.

Even the most damaged one is showing signs of life.
I felt all the leaves and suirprisongly most aren’t crispy like they look. The leaves are still supple.

5 Likes

My main tote ran out of water so I rigged the irrigation from main house to take a little trip. Took this as opportunity to also install a water meter so I can make sure they’re getting adequate drink.

This marks day 8 of bad damage to plants. I have put an entire tote of 300gal through the plants with another 21 gal (3 per plant today) flushing any and all chem nutrients through the system. They are showing dramatic improvement.
I stopped feeding. Added shade. Extra waterings. Recipe for recovery.

4 Likes

One is in complete recovery, the others are following.

This is 2nd in row, looking much healthire.

2nd most damaged improving.

Most damaged showing signs of green shift away from dead yellow.

4 Likes

False grizzurp looking great.

False grizzurp leaf size

Grizzly purp size comparison…big diff

Gooberry size comparison. In 2nd place but still falling behind.

7 Likes

@HighDesertFarmer very nice job bringing them back!!

1 Like

Sexing update plus recovery!

Only four in danger now! Most excellent.
Accidentally snapped a twig when tripping and nearly killing whole plant. This is from severely stressed one. Are these flower buds or seed pods? Not sure but worried about keeping a male there if it is seed pods.

1 Like

I see small hairs protruding from the tight coil of leaves/buds so I believe these are flowers

The difference update.

The stress has caused a severe separation of growth from the strain that immediately adapted to the environment vs well…those that didn’t. Its awesome that the random.mislabeled strain is doing so well. Its very sad to seesee these girla struggling for so long. Yield is hugely affected. Theres a foot diameter difference in canopies.

Here is the gooberry.

4 of 4 grizzly purp

3 of 4

2 of 4

0 1 of 4

The slightly recovered

The king false grizzurp

4 Likes

Even more of a difference. My guess is I’ll get a few nugs from the middle set.

Gooberry

grizz purp 1

grizzpurp 2

grizzpurp3

grizzurp4

grizzurp 5 recovering

false grizzurp

The crop

5 Likes

Alright! I have started a very weird form nutrient introduction that seems to be working. I just said screw it and dumped whole bottle of fox farm dirty dozen in my 300gal tote and eeked out the solution over a week period. I have been cycling through the low power/ trace minerals. Like kangaroots, grow big and big bloom. It seems to be doing well and all but one have recovered and are flowering! I am . Happy to say we now have three that will produce smoke if this keeps up.

Gooberry is doing GREAT! It has a wonderful smell and when you rub your fingers on the leaves they have a slight stick to them.

This is the 6th in line, grizzly purp.

The 4th in line grizzly purp. Doing so much better than a few weeks ago!

5th in line is NOT lucky. It had flowers on 2 small sticks on the sidside that I needed a magnifying glass to see. Trimmed the 3 branches on side to see if it helps the top. I am writin this one off.

Third in line grizzly purp. Healthy and growing.

2nd in line, grizzly purp. Doing amazingly.

First and best for last in line is False grizzurp. Look at all those flowers! Tons of crystals starting to pop up on leaves and around flower. Horray!
“If you get an ounce trimmed it will have paid for itself!” Says my amazingly encouraging wife.

A semi closeup of a false grizzurp flower. Very pleased.

5 Likes

Very sad update today. Lost #4 which isnt much of a loss but a loss nonetheless.
The roots appear to have been killed off or rotted. I am concerned ed I have been over watering th em.or that this particular plants soil wasnt allowing drainage.

Here’s a little positivity…The Gooberry is doing very well.

2 Likes

Seeing some slow down of growth on the middle ones that have been struggling so I am going to cut back watering. I made the mistake of not using a small particulate filter after the IBC tote before my drip emitters and they are getting calcified closed. This is causing some drippers to drip more and others less, causing an unequal watering. This wouldnt be the case if I had used pressure compensating dripline but couldn’t find a source. Might have to redo the drip system and dont want to.

I am going to bust out moisture meter and monitor soil water levels before watering further…which I likely should have been doing from day one.

Rains are starting here soon so my watering schedule is about to be taken out of my hands.

3 will produce 3 will not. One has died. I expect to get a NUGGET from each of the failures. Wish I had a better idea as to what caused these others to die off and just fall flat. Same soil.mixture same watering schedule etc. Boggles the mind.

Heres the leading lady false grizzurp. It has a bunch of single cola roughly a foot long on single branches.

Here’s the goods being grown. After handling the plant for the picture my fingers are sticky as heck and reek of skunk. Awesome!

Here’s the Gooberry.

Closeup for Gooberry.

Honestly losing a bit of motivation for the grow due to 5 of 7 plants failing. Huge failure rate! I want to save the genes of false grizzurp and gooberry but no ideas how to clone :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Critical issue identified!! Full recovery (though way too late with reduced yield) in the wings! This one requires a bit of detail so bear with me here.

I am ignorant and a fool! Let’s start with that. This is a multi failure scenario.

Firstly, I made the mistake of not installing a particle filter after water source before drip line emitters. I live in the desert, my water isn’t sealed, which can get sand in it which can then clog emitters.

Secondly, I get my water from a commercial well dirt cheap and truck it 15 miles to my 40acres in BFE. They do not care about quality infiltration, and being a well: mineral content is high.

Thirdly and most devastatingly, water flows downhill.

Fourth, I did not hunt for pressure compensating drip line rolls. I was under the gun to get babies in the ground, and just used what was available…to my detriment.

The situation as it occurred to the best of my detective abilities:

1. Sand is introduced to my IBC tote and passes through the particle filter that doesn’t exist unobstructed and is distributed over time to start clogging emitters.

2. As I introduce nutrients directly to the IBC tote a biofilm is generated and ignored. This normally stays on top but can be drawn down in pieces further clogging the main screen on my on off toggle for flow. The high mineral content water drom commercial well also begins clogs. Pic of said biofilm.

3. Each plant has over 35 emitters over 3 circles of varying diameter. I woulld check to ensure some water had been eeked out over time and didn’t check emitters individually. This led to a slow failure getting worse and worse.

4. Pressure or not compensating drippers and water flowing downhill. Pressure compensating drippers work by ensuring variances in pressure do not affect water output. Meaning if my hose psi constantly changes or experienced spikes it won’t flood that plant or under deliver in the opposite case.

My plants are on a slight slope. This was accounted for and the slight change in elevation wouldnt matter enough to make a difference in output with non pressure compensating drippers…unless…theyre…clogged :frowning:

As gravity provides water pressure the greater difference in elevation…it screwed me!
Imagine an IBC tote at the top of the hill with a hose supplying water downhill. This is my setup.
As the emitters near the IBC tote began to get clogged the non pressure compensating drippers stopped working efficiently.

Because fluids go to the path of least resistance, like, you know, downhil… tThis he emitters were never purged of their clog…however, my very last plant at the bottom of the hill had no clogs. Why? Pressure drop up top due to clogs equals pressure increase downhill which actually causes a purging situation to small particles and mineral buildup in the drip line.
So overtime all emitters uphill became more clogged due to continuing pressure drop making one downhill the only reliable emitter.

Here is the data for soil moisture levels on all six remaining plants. The 2 letters are strain and number range is moisture on top layer and moisture 6 inches down. Scale is from.0 to 10 with 100 being a cup of liquid water.

FG 2.6 to 5.5 Lowest elevation
GP1 1.8 to 2.8
GP2 2.5 to 3.5 Second lowest elevation (slopes wobbly)
GP3 0 to 1.5
GP4 DEAD RIP 8/25
GP5 0 to 1.2
GB - 0 to 0 ! DRY Highest elevation

As you can see the highest elevation point is dry and lowest soaked. Drippers up top completely clogged with reduction in clogs as go down the line.

Ugh…
The last issue was my “helper” spent like 30seconds tilling per hole. I mixed by hand the first hole on lowest end and insisted on a refill up top. Guess which plants biggest? The hole I hand mixed. The next biggest? The one I insisted on re tilling. The third? The hole he did first before he got tired.
Why do I think this matters? I put an amazing and of work into soil composition which ended up not doing much because it wasnt even mixed. I put my hand down into a couple holes and get straight sand for six inches. Without the adequate soil composition the plants had zero chance at holding water and retaining it in the event of a disaster.

My only excuse is life is absolutely insane atm…but not a real good one.

The lessons I take away from this are:

1. Install particle filters on water out at source.
  2. Use water softener or soaker hose or an emission system not susceptible to clogs.
  3. Check moisture levels with probe at regular basis.
  4. Buy pressure compensating drippers!
  5. Mix the soil personally or mix well then add to a hole.
  6. Bad genes can’t be THAT bad.

I wish that I could say me not tilling the holes was my issue but sadly I believe I have had a multi faceted failure here.

My solution for healing is thus:
Dripper system has to go for now until I can get pressure comp drip line plus particle filter plus mineral removal solution or choose another dripline like soaker hose.

I will be manually watering them daily until moisture levels at deep layers are reached with probe.

I have crafted 2 buckets with a 1/16 hole drilled in bottom. We used to use this for watering trees too far away from.any waterline in the city during drought restrictions. It allows a pinpoint delivery of water over a period of 4 hrs or so due to small hole.

Here’s to deduction and finally putting some crazy puzzles together for this beginner. I hope I am on right track, I feel lucky to have some actual crop experience that has helped me figure this.

Edit. I wanted to add that my prejudice towards the non false grizzurp strains or the Gooberry helped mask this problem to me. Because the top and bottom were doing so well I had chalked up the whole issue to bad genetics! How did the top remain healthy? Well…it was my fav so I supplementary watered it a bit PLUS soil composition was vastly different.

TLDR: Yippetty doo! I thinks I solved it.

5 Likes

Somehow a pic of plant#2 was left out previously. 3 will bear!

It’s small but surprisingly well endowed?

3 Likes

It looks like the water was the main issue. After filling the buckets religiously for the past few days some .mplants are sending out bright green leaves!

First in line false grizzurp. Still growing steady.

Second in line grizzly purp is doing well still.

Most surprising! Huge leaves have shot out the side…zombie plant lives!

This one is finally showing some bounce. Excellent!

This one is still in danger but is sending out small green leaves to show it is alive.

Gooberry

2 Likes

Some buds were in ground contact on Gooberry as well as the false grizzurp. Trimmed and drying them to use later.
They’re very penner but I expect nothing less 2 months early.

This long stem is from false grizzurp

This is from gooberry

2 Likes