First ever grow Grizzly purp and gooberry outdoors

Hello everyone. I have been secretly reading this forum for months getting my courage up to dedicate time and resources to a grow so here I am.
I own a small farm off grid in the Nv high desert. I love weed and have been smoking it regularly since I was 20. I aim to try producing my own for once.

Firstly thank you for being an awesome community and helping me learn some basics.

I live in Nevada where we recently acquired right to grow, horray!
I picked up 8 clones. One of them looked very ragged and died within first 3 days. Noooo! With 7 left going strong I feel things picking up.

The clones were obtained in dixie cups and upon root inspection were ready to transplant over while I dug holes. This pic is of them in their halfway houses.

After reading a bit I decided to grab foxfarms dorty dozen. I know theres a bit of contention about how good thry are/n’t but I needed a complete solution as a newbie.

A pic of my nutrients. My amazing wife says peace yall.

Here are the holes dug. 4 feet square by a few deep. This was some work even with a tiny tractor. Somehow I don’t have pics od them dug but heres the equipment used to gengenerate the holes.

Here’s a pic of all holes dug and filledfilled. Took yards and yards of soil and a ton of back breaking work mixing with shovels and filling with wheelbarrows.

A closeup of the drip system install. 3 concentric circles at 4 2 and 1 foot dianeters. The drip is fed from a single 300gal IBC tote as my farm is off grid and we truck in our water til we get a well dug.All seven survivors planted in their forever home! I performed transplant at 10pm and soaked each rootball in a wormjuice and water solution before putting them in the ground. They are about 4 weeks in my posession so far.

Hoping to get some info on how to prune and chop lower branches to stimulate large growth! Will keep updating journal as time goes on. Here’s hopin!

24 Likes

Welcome to ILGM @HighDesertFarmer
very nice! I’d say you are going to do just fine. That’s quite a view youve got there! I’m along for the ride! Keep us posted on your progress!

And congrats on goin legal!

MA Resident and legal here too!

6 Likes

Wow @HighDesertFarmer That’s an impressive set up. Welcome to the forum and being from NV I think lucky #7 for your grow is appropriate. We have a couple of off grid members here as well who will be helpful. @Willd @Ragnar Looking forward to following along.

4 Likes

Welcome to ILGM!
Man looking like you got a good grow going on. Can’t wait to see your results :+1:

2 Likes

Lookin good…unbelievable, never saw anything like it! You seem to know a lot already and on your way to being a marijuana farmer :man_farmer: I wish you all the best… will be interesting to watch your progress

3 Likes

Thanks everyone :slight_smile: I do hope it goes well! First time is always the scariest I imagine. I usually drown plants so I am a bit worried that cannabis is sensitive to that.

Update 2
7 days after transplant, 5th week in my care. The middle 5 are showojg slight N deficiency and some sunburnt crispy edges on older leaves. Not as green as I would like.

Outer 2 are thriving and in great shape. Water was left on all night so mid 5 may be showing overwater signs?

Found a seed in some smoke, decided to try and sprout. It did on day 2, seed cracked!

Exactly 7 days after transplant. This one is looking the healthiest. I also believe it may be a different strain than the rest. I’ll be calling it false grizzurp lol.
This is the gooberry strain, the only one. It is looking very different than the rest, but seems healthy. This is a good representation of the others. They seem to have a slight nitrogen deficiency or something. I fed 2 days ago. Another with a slight yellowing ofof the leaves. Some have burnt dry edges. It has been very hot here, near 100, so it may just be shock with recent transplant.

4 Likes

Absolutely wonderful, love it brother…
Welcome to the club, I grow outdoor , off grid and keep everything very simple, looking for yoyr updates…
Happy growing !!!

1 Like

@Ragnar Thank you. Nice to see someone else enjoying the off grid life.

Update 3, bug guard
Upon inspecting this morning I found a leaf with a cocoon nest on it of sorts. Plucked it and have prepared bug defense. I imagine the challenge of outdoor growing presents more bugs to deal with. I hope that being in the high desert with low humidity it will narrow the spread down of species I have to contend with.
Here’s what I use in the garden and have for years. Works great for tomatoes and lettuce.

1 tablespoon olive oil
3 teaspoons of dawn soap
1 tiny jar of mint oil
15 squirts of cholula
Lots of crushed garlic

STRAIN THE GARLIC or it clogs sprayer.

Garlic for crushingcholula really is a great secret ingredient. Sometimes I also use cayeanne pepper.
most of everything minus cholula and water to be mixed in sprayer. I apply at night to normal plants so will try the same thing.

6 Likes

Wonderful, I keep this formula in my mind, like it :wink:

Welcome to ilgm… :wink:
You could also substitute olive oil for canola oil … because canola oil is a lot cheaper and does exactly the same thing especially when your plants get really big , no sense in wasting good virgin olive oil… :wink:
:v: :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Weed sprout doing just dandy.

5 Likes

she got a little twisty stem! One of mine did the same. Looks like a corkscrew almost!

@bob31 It sure did. Thought it was kinda cool myself!
Update 4
The sun scorches

Ok so week 2 of transplanting. My middle group of a different strain is NOT handling the sun. They are getting mad scorch.

All the girls lined up.

First in line. False grizzurp.

Second in line. Showing signs of damage.

3rd in line. This pic makes me feel as sad as she looks.
Fourth.
This one is sunburnt so badly. I feel like a bad parent. I am buying shade cloth tomorrow for high sun for the mid group.

5th in line. Grizzly purple.

Sixth.

Seventh. GOOBERRY. Doing just dandy.

Good lord it’s scary to see this sun damage. I wish that I had established shade before transplant but se la vie. I will be getting a 30 foot stretch of shade fabric, digging down and installing some 2x4s as piles in the ground then suspending the shade directly above for high sun.

Question, should I pull crisped leaves or wait for plant to drop them on their own? Here’s hoping my mid strains aren’t doomed!

On a positive note my garlic pepper bug spray worked wonders and no signs of that swarm. I’m hoping it isnt cuz the bugs are saying ‘eh these plants are doomed let’s move on fellas’

3 Likes

It has been well over 100 out here and i just don’t think the girls can handle it so early after transplant if at all. I read that shade doesnt harm cannabis? Heres the test I suppose.
Corners ties to t posts with shade grommets and rebar tie wire.

It isnt a ragg cloth but vent holes for wind swells.

5 Likes

Well that lasted about four hours.

I don’t feel too bad after seeing iit was wind strong enough to pull this post inward.

At least I know these clips will hold.

Back to the drawing board. 50mph wind is a tough adversary for shade cloth.

8 Likes

Good luck brother, its a fight out there …I know

1 Like

One great one okay five dying

This one is doing amazingly. False grizzurp says !@#$ you heat sun and wind, doesn’t even care.

Gooberry slightly struggling.

The following picturpictures may cause tears.

Ok so 5 are dying. One is nearly dead and looks deep fried and crispy. My shade failed and so i should have had that setup before transplanting.

I am trying another shade design today. Hope they can live

2 Likes

Heres my try number two at high noon shade blocking.
Cost me 2.5 per tomato cage, a half a trash bag and some strips of duct tape.

born of desperation it might just last more than 4 hours.

I had one left over and am using it to double shade the plant I now dub mr.crisp . I’m not going to shade the false grizzurp cuz if it aint broke don’t fix it.

Here’s hoping this works as planned. If so I may have just found cheapest dang shade solution for small stage ever. This pic is at 10am so at 12 shade should be over plant.

4 Likes

The plants with major burn, I’d trim the fully burnt leaves off, and the partially burnt leaves I’d just trim the burnt part of the leaves off, So the plant can concentrate on getting the un burnt parts back to health. Probably a long shot tbh.

Whatever you decide good look. Looks a harsh environment out there.

It’s a funny business this, we are all brought together here over this plant, but all have different issues that we are fighting. Mine is mainly making more heat, though that in itself is an issue where the we get warm spells, as I’m set up to keep heat in, so my house goes a little mad when the sun appears. Operation many many fans has to kick into gear.

Side note, I one of my “smart” timers didn’t turn on this morning! Very strange, but it will mean, I’m going to have to leave the pants on overnight, for at least one full rotation. 18/6. Will need to keep an eye on that.

1 Like

I would try growing autos in those conditions.keep watering those girls they may survive the heat :fire: :fire: fire. But I don’t know much being a rookie first timer myself

1 Like