First dwc hydro grow ever

So what’s the best starter to use in these dwc buckets then I hear good and bad about rooter plugs and Rockwool. The Rockwool they had at hydro shop here only had the 2x2 also

For me I have success with the rapid rooters. You can plant seeds in straight hydroton but i’ve never tried that.

I’ll pick a few up for sure to try out. It’s funny I was checking out and ordering from this site HTG supply and I never realized they’re 15 mins away from my house I went their yesterday and when I walked in I felt like I died and was in heaven it was great. Would have saved me on shipping though those few times.

2 Likes

Always ask if the have any samples.

2 Likes

The bucket itself is fine 6 gallons but the net pots they designed ate for shit. Could have made some kind of adapter cups from a big sized to a smaller. Big would ve nice right now. And yes i did experience white build up on the rockwool right about flowering time it started. Sprayed it all down with h2o2 water and soaked the roots for about 20 mons and all is good so far in full budding now.

1 Like

Hey that’s funny I buy a ton of stuff from there too. All the advanced nutrients are discounted online vs in the store I love it. Just placed another order the other day lol. That’s true about shipping but I spend a lot each time so I think it’s worth it.

So the goal in my opinion is to keep the rockwool and rapid rooters above the net pot water so they don’t saturate and mold. Keep them nice and dry.

That bucket lid looks like it is for clones @Mark0427 is it six inches across? Maybe you could replace it.

U can do 4 clones or 1 big plant in it in the middle. Ill get u a good pic of it i have another brand new one ill snap u some pics unless u wanna see it inline. Its the black magic grow pail. Home depot has them for 100.00. It works rather well just wish the center hoke was bigger or one u can convert to the size u need lol.

1 Like

Rapid rooters in a aero garden are a nice way to start a root system after germination for hydro.

You could setup a small pond pump in the bottom of your dwc to fountain the water at the bottom of your net pot inside your bucket.

Setup on a timer, it will not only draw the roots to the water but it will also help circulate that stagnate water and help you stay longer before changes.

Water changes will be the downside to the dwc system. Rdwc will allow water to stay entire grow and make sure all the plants never get shocked by new water transfers.

1 Like

I want to try my hand at cloning but it’s another thing that scares me idk why

2 Likes

The black magic has both i added the bubbler and stone to it. It comes with a pump and tubing where it pumps water and sprays the rockwool cube. Right now i have it set to be on for 15 min off for half hour but the bubbler is always running in the bucket .

2 Likes

Cloning dont a eem gard but i believe its best to have rooting gel. Gonna see if any of my cheese clones have any sign of roots yet. They dont look dead so that might be a plus. My first attempt to try and clone also.

3 Likes

This is how I start out and works great for me. Just involves a little diy.

First in the starter trays with dome.

Then transplant to cheap little tote bucket things from Walmart. Drilled 2inch holes for 2 inch net pots. I put in hydroton or grow stones to hold the rooters and keep them at the top of the net pot.

Here is a pic of more recent ones I built. Also had cuttings in rapid rooters waiting to root. I used clonex gel on them and they all rooted and are doing fantastic.

Roots!

Then once they get some nice growth into the 5g bucket they go.

You could probably do this with rockwool too. Also I meant keep the rapid rooters and rockwool dry once the roots drop down in of course. Air pumps are always running too.

4 Likes

@shady424 aeroponic cloners on amazon for 80-120$ are a great investment.

Root gel for soil, for hydro I don’t do anything but drop cuttings into a glass of water .

I then trim them down, and skin the bottom area that will be exposed to water then allow them to go

Never found gel helpful in hydro is all

So two questions can I use azos in the dwc system it’s in a powder. And second question what about rain water can I still use that in the dwc or no if not it’s just plain tap water ppm of tap water not letting sit is at 58. Rain is at 7ppm

Just git my Hydroguard in and my dolomite lime for my soil grow oh yeahh can’t wait for this bean to pop
@PharmerBob @Noctis420 @Mark0427 @Covertgrower and how important is that orca stuff or great white same stuff right

1 Like

Similar, both are beneficial bacteria and fungi. I do feel they have some importance, but if budget is tight, you could go with out. If that’s what you’re asking.

I just use gh flora series and Cali magi for veg.

Then add whole line going into flower

Can I use the azos in the dwc system too and money no object just didn’t know if it was really required I can swing by the hydro shop and pick some up which is better and is the rain water ok to ise. Just read article actually saying yes rain water can be used so answered my own question still don’t know bout the azos

Just ordered some great white we’ll try that out