First DWC attempt

Using this as a grow journal. Allowing me to track what I’m doing along with getting/giving tips along the way :+1:t2:
Felt like I got soil growing down, so this is my first attempt at hydro after reading about some of the benefits. I’m doing deep water culture (dwc) or bubble buckets or whatever you want to call it lol
8.5gal buckets, 8” net pots, put the seeds in on 10/30/2020. One of each of the following: Granddaddy Purple, Wedding Cake, Girl Scout Cookies Extreme, Gelato… all feminized seeds from ILGM. Using general hydroponic nutrients. I’ll post the schedule I plan to follow. My humidifier took a shit right as I’m getting started of course, new one should be here in a couple of days. Using mason jars to try to keep some moisture/humidity in the meantime.

4 Likes
  • What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed granddaddy purple, wedding cake, Girl Scout cookie extreme, gelato… all feminized from ILGM
  • Method: Soil w/salt, Organic soil, Hydroponics, Aquaponics, KNF hydro… dwc
  • Vessels: Pots, Grow beds, Buckets, Troths 8.5 gal buckets with 8” net pots
  • PH of Water, Solution, runoff (if Applicable) plan to keep it at 5.8-6.0 pH, right now it’s RO water, only like 15ppm, will do that for first week until they break “ground”, 2nd week I’ll give light nutrients for the seedlings
  • PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable oops, answered this above
  • Indoor or Outdoor indoor
  • Light system growers choice roi-e680
  • Temps; Day, Night 75-80 / 68
  • Humidity; Day, Night at the moment, shooting for 60-70%
  • Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size yes 6”
  • AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier, new humidifier coming in a few days, that’s it… exhaust does a great job at keeping humidity and temps down when needed, I have a humidistat and rheostat hooked up to it
  • Co2; Yes, No no
2 Likes

I’m outta likes but, I am gonna tag along, if you don’t mind :v:

2 Likes

Glad to have you, you’re always helpful! The more the merrier :+1:t2:

11/6/2020

Today marks one week. This is the first time I had a seed from ILGM not sprout, the GDP didn’t pop. But also my first time using rapid rooters, so could be that. Put a new GDP seed in and it’s off to a good start.

Also growing at a slower rate than any other grow I’ve done, but seems to be picking up the last day or two.

2 of 4 have roots that have reached the water. The other 2 I am top feeding (just water with some mycorrhizae)… the GDP roots haven’t reached the water yet because it had a late start, not a full week on her like the rest. The WC has 3 leaves, first one ever for me like that, kind of cool! One of the GSCx is going to my father in law, I put in soil right after these pictures were taken (the one with the light colored rapid rooter).

All reservoirs except the GDP got very light nutes today. 1/4 of the amounts given in the feeding schedule, 10mL of hydroguard, and a 1/2 scoop of great white mycorrhizae. Here’s what I got:

-Gelato
5.88pH, 91ppm, 75degrees
-WC
5.86pH, 87ppm, 75.5degrees
-GSCx
5.92pH, 92ppm, 75.2degrees

I know that water temp is high, a chiller is not in my budget at the moment though. I have a large air stone to aerate the water more and added hydroguard. Hoping that will keep them happy.

Are you sure that you want to grow 2 plants in one net pot? :v:t4:

2 Likes

No I definitely don’t! I transferred the one in the lighter colored rapid rooter to soil for my father in law right after this picture was taken :+1:t2:

1 Like

Cool. Just checking :+1:t4: :v:t4:

1 Like

11/8/2020

Day 9 for the GSCx, Gelato, and WC. Day 3 for GDP.

Anyone know why the GSCx and Gelato are falling over? My guess was they were stretching due to not enough light. So I increased it to 85%.

Other than that, looking alright so far!

11/14/2020

Day 15 for GSCx, Gelato, WC. Day 9 for GDP

I believe my gelato is getting “rust fungus” never heard of it until doing some research and reading some forums on here. I cut the leaves off in case. If it is rust fungus, I’m hoping it doesn’t spread to all of them.

The three leaves on the Wedding Cake is so cool! Hopefully this means 50% more harvest for her :joy:

Water change/Fed today:
2mL micro, 1mL gro, 1mL of bloom, 1mL of ArmorSi, 1.5mL of CALiMAGic, 2.5mL of rapidstart, 2.5ml of diamond nectar, 5ml if florablend, 1/2 scoop of great white, 10ml hydro guard (all per 5 gallons)

-Gelato
5.90pH 95ppm 64*

-WC
5.91pH 103ppm 64*

-GDP
5.83pH 98ppm 64*

-GSCx
5.96ph 96ppm 64*

11/16/2020

Had to cut leaves for the second time on the Gelato, that’s a total of four leaves now this early in its life. Hoping it stops. Didn’t catch a before picture, but here’s after…

@willtheripper
Here’s my grow. I have the nutrients I’ve been giving in the thread

@ahuff774 hey thanks for the tag! I look forward to watching your grow and hope you get some great results. And as you said maybe we can learn a thing or two from each other! Happy growing

1 Like

You did switch to the dwc chart I posted correct? Also looking closer did you trim the codylns off??

1 Like

@neofirebird I do plan on switching. I do water changes every Friday or Saturday, so they’ll be getting the change in a couple of days. Thanks again!
And no, I didn’t trim them. They’re still there!

1 Like

Plants are fine…
Always going to have little issues here and there…
Just part of the program…
Don’t freak out… :+1::upside_down_face::wink:
:v::sunglasses:

2 Likes

@neofirebird @peachfuzz
Thank you both. Do you guys follow the ppm given at the top of the feeding schedules? They seem high to me… if you don’t, what ppm’s do you guys do for each week/“life stage”?
Tagging anyone else that might know would also be appreciated :blush:
I want to hear some “real-life” opinions. Everything I find online is all over the place

2 Likes

@BetrayedSoul @Myfriendis410 @dbrn32 @Covertgrower @Schmokey @Drinkslinger @AfgVet
Hope you guys don’t mind the tag. Welcome to my journal, tagging you guys because you’ve all been a lot of help with various topics in the past. Not sure if hydro is your thing or not, but just looking for any feedback along the way to try and improve. It is appreciated!

This chart was shown to me by @neofirebird … I was originally using the top one, I plan on switching to the recirc one on the bottom as he recommended. Do you think the ppm values given are about right?

Thank you in advance!!

3 Likes

I feed by the chart for rdwc in my single buckets. I measure the ppms they never run higher than 1400 tops. Usually around 1100 + much of the grow but it’s good to know said I log it. But honestly in hydro I’m more focused on maintaining a consistent pH, no burned tips or leaves is a good reflection of this…

3 Likes

I’m not a hydro grower, but I can comfortably say that every grow and space is a little different. Just use the chart as guideline, if/when you see something with plants that justifies adjusting, don’t be afraid to do so.

4 Likes