First autoflower

Hey guys these girls are going on there 7th day and ive noticed they are growing weird and have a tad yellowing inside the new grow, what would the problem be exactly?

Under 1 600w hps and 1 600w led
Soil grown
Watering between 6.5 -6.8

1 Like

They look ok to me right now
New growth will always be lighter and will darken up once it’s exposed to the air

Water lightly for now what size pots are they in ?

4 Likes

They are in 20ltr pots about half full but i only spray the water around the seedling i dont completely water it yet

4 Likes

Looking good from here!!

2 Likes

@Bigreid95 looking good so far. Just a tip from me. You are using 20 liter pots (5Gal) and they are very big. One of the problems with growing from that size pot from seed is that the roots will take a longer time to reach air so the plant will start and grow slowly. I know I am in that right now. As best as I can see your plants are doing well You should probably put a dome over them to keep the humidity even higher inside. The plant’s roots will not be giving the plant the fuel it needs. The leaves need to. I am by far no pro but I have been learning on the fly as well. You can do one of two things. Your plants are really young and can survive a quick transplant into a smaller cup until roots really grow or you can be very selective with the watering not watering the entire pot except for the very first soaking. I hope you used a lot of perlite as that is very important in a pot soil.

5 Likes

I only water around the seedling and only very lightly i dont water the whole pot not yet anyway, i have put them in this pot because i have read upon autoflowers and alot of people suggest to put them in bigger pots and not to transplant/defoliate them due to less vegitative growth in such short time

4 Likes

and that is the important aspect. It does look good so keep up the good work. Good luck on your grow.

1 Like

If you were only going to fill the pot half way why did you not use 3 gallon pots? You may have had better results because the plant would be above the due of the pot. Just a thought for next time.

3 Likes

I’m with Bubblehead and Oldsoldier1976 on pot size, using small seedling pots (seed starters) and working up to 3 gal. posts (or larger) gives you maximum control over proper soil saturation, meaning you can soak the entire pot and the plant will have the ability to absorb it and in the process create the necessary wet/dry cycle.
In a large pot (too large for the plant) over watering can become problematic because you can’t remove the water, however you can add H2O2 to the water giving the roots oxygen in a flooded amphibious environment. It’s good to go incremental on pot size to avoid the H2O2 tweek.
pH should be maintained between 5.8 and 6.3 (hydro) and 6.0 and 6.5 in soil without fluctuation within the parameters. High or low pH will restrict certain nutrients inhibiting maximum plat growth and health. Fluctuation in pH will stress the plant from pH adaptation swings.
The seedling looks good.
P.S. use black pots or planters to block light from entering the medium.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice bro, i do take the time to make sure i never flood the soil and i don’t water it again until its dry an inch down i was going to use smaller pots but they had sold out of all smaller pots so had to kinda go with what i could at the time

2 Likes

I will ph my soil at 6.3 from now on though

2 Likes

Plant looks fine don’t sweat when they are that young, they are just adjusting to their new environment.

I think you made the right call, and I will disagree with the others above, on going straight into end pot. It’s less chance to stress the the auto during transplant and thus I only go from jiffy puck to final container. Just need to control watering.

I would steer away from spraying, the water sometimes ends up staying on the leaf and then the light hits it and burns the leaf, also it sprays the dirt up.
Just water them a bit and don’t over water let them dry a bit and slowly water farther away from the base so the roots spread out and desk for water. M

5 Likes

Once you reach 6 nodes, do you recommend cropping to the 3rd node to create more colas and a flat canopy? Or go with the bend and secure method.

2 Likes

I don’t have any experience cropping, I like the scrog idea but this round in. Growing 2 with no training

1 Like

What you’re describing is topping. If you’re at the 6th node, I’d top at the 5th. No sense growing that much out only to cut 3 nodes worth of grow off. You’ll get 4
main colas either way. If height is an issue, I’d top at the 5th node down to the 4th.

As far as bending ( low stress training or LST), you can do that throughout the grow, it’s all preference. If you’re looking for a flat, even canopy, you should research Scrog. That involves both techniques.

1 Like

Thanks, i will do that: also look up the other info. Your help is much appreciated. I was thinking if i took that much off i would try cloning it :thinking: too young to soon for that?

I just realized you are growing an autoflower. In that case, cloning isn’t much of an option because your clone will be on the same time schedule as the mother. I would concentrate on lst and not worry about topping. I don’t grow autos because I like to top, fim and clone. You want the veg cycle on your autos to be as productive as possible because they flower when they want to not when you want them to. Any sort of high stress training could set the plant back while the clock is still running.

3 Likes

This is incorrect. PH in soil is best between 6.3-6.8, with 6.5 being the sweet spot. Movement within the range is encouraged.

4 Likes

With autos, topping or other hst methods are not recommended, unless you’re familiar with the strain.

That being said, if you decide to risk topping an auto, do it at the 4th node.

5 Likes

Ok, i see: when you read about topping and cloning most don’t mention that its not for auto’s. Thanks for that info, saved me from making a mistake and would not have even been productive… :+1:t4::clap:t4:

3 Likes