FIRST ATTEMPT FAILED! help me not make the same mistakes

Hello, I need help!

So I thought I knew what I was doing but It’s the 10th day after planting my germinated seeds and all nine seeds didn’t grow. I have a few ideas of what I did wrong, but before I start over I want to be sure. please bare with me as I run through my process step by step.

Germination:
SInce I’m a beginner I ordered the Auto Flower Mixpack including Amnesia Haze, Blueberry, and Northern Lights (5 seeds each). Since this was my first try I wanted to experiment with all three methods of germination with each strain (nine plants). Three I put in a shot glass of water and they all broke open after 3 days revealing a small tail. Three I put in a paper towel, didn’t see anything the second day, but on the third day a large sprout more then a 1/2 inch revealed out of 2 of the 3 seeds. The final three I just put straight into the dirt.

So far so good!

Pots and Soil:
Then I prepare the pots and grow room. I Put the seeds into small pots filled with “moisture control MIRACLE-GRO potting mix.” Next is where I may have gone, I planted the seeds more then a half inch deep, maybe too deep. I watered the soil before and after planting the seed.

So my plan was to begin the plants in a small DIY grow room until they are around Four inches then transplant them into their permanent homes on large pots in the window sill.

Grow Room:

I made a 16"x 16" box with the interior lined with tinfoil. just big enough for 9 of my small pots. I cut a hole in the top for one light. I added a small fan after I realized they weren’t growing as a desperate attempt to help.

Lighting:
This i where I may have went wrong. I first only had a basic light bulb which I realized was way to hot by the second day. I then ordered a florescent light on amazon “Hydroponic Full Spectrum CFL Grow Light Bulb 60 Watt Bulb 5500K H60” It took a few days to arrive and I switched out the old light bulb with a standard Florescent light bulb until it did. I also order LED grow lights I planned to use once i transplanted them as additional light on the window sill. Maybe I should have used those in the grow bow instead? “Grow Light, Ankace 40W Dual Head Timing 36 LED 5 Dimmable Levels Plant Grow Lights for Indoor Plants”

So now I have all nine plants in a small box wrapped in tin foil with a Florescent grow light hanging about 3-4 inched above the soil. After I planted the seeds I would water them pretty thoroughly about three times a day. I made sure the soil didn’t dry out. I may have over watered them. it’s been 10 days and nothing!

please help me not make the same mistakes i only have 6 seeds left!

Thank you!

That’s what you did. Unfortunately, it happens. They’re incredibly easy to overwater, which can drown the roots or cause damping off. Cannabis actually thrives in a wet/dry cycle for most mediums.

Next try, go with maybe 1-2 tbsp of water a day for the first week after germination, then slowly increase the input.

As for lighting, I only know LEDs, myself. Maybe @dbrn32 might be able to tell you what’s what with your lights.

3 Likes

@unclegerm I 100% agree with @blackthumbbetty too much water for them at that stage. Best of luck with your 2nd grow! The is a great forum with lots of knowledge!

4 Likes

thank you for your help! I figured that was probably the problem. I was confused after reading to water until it drains, which must mean only once its grown. I also read somewhere that they don’t water the soil at all until they see it sprout from the ground.

do you use your led lights during these first stages? I’m still debating if that would be better.

I do, but many start with different lights.

1 Like

I also noted your long term plan was a larger pot in a window sill? Not trying to be a dink here, but cannabis does not do well in window sills. Firstly, most glass these days is nitrogen filled and UV resistant. Secondly, cannabis needs a lot of space, if you plan to use an open window, it has been done before, plan on 1 plant, unless your window is huge!
If you can get 1 decent plant going, you might see buds ib the fall?

2 Likes

Let me list the mistakes so you don’t make them again.

1. Miracle Grow soil
  2. Light bulb in a box (probably cooked them)
  3. Watered before and after planting seed then 3 times a day (drowned after being cooked)
  4. Plan on windowsill grow (not enough light and duration of light)
5 Likes

Thank you for the advise. I think my plan will be to have additional LED lights above the plants on the window sill. Will that confuse the plant? My window is very large and I’m mostly putting them there because it will look petty. Having the largest harvest isn’t necessarily my main priority. I love the smell and look of cannabis💘

Thank you

1.Is all miracle-gro bad? I Got standard stuff for my second grow instead of moisture control. Should I use something else?

1. Should I put the light further away? I added a fan will that help? Or should I add more air holes?

Or maybe the LED lights will be better?

Yes, nobody grows good dope in miracle grow soil. It is pre loaded with fertilizer that released each time you water. It cant be flushed out and is not formulated for cannabis. Most premix folks here are using Fox Farms and some others that are made for weed! I highly suggest if you want to grow weed, use the same stuff as others do that way you can basically copy and paste your way to happy time!

2 Likes

Cfl do ok in seedlings but something like this might do you well in veg and flower if that’s what you’re looking for… Color spectrum is important along with many other variables in in lighting

https://www.amazon.com/CANAGROW-Spectrum-Aluminum-Reflector-Designed/dp/B07T47G2L2/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=COB+Grow+Lights&qid=1591507833&sr=8-5

Is this the stuff? Amazon.com

Happy frog is great from fox farm better than ocean Forrest… it’s charged like always but has a bit more to it like mychorraize for example…if you are in a micro space lighting will be key… led is great on power consumption and heat and light output

1 Like

Is there an Amazon link for led bulbs you have? Also wondering what the plan is moving forward? You won’t have a lot of success in window.

It has time released nutrients, which cannabis doesn’t do well with. Some of it also has that moisture lock stuff added, which isn’t great for weed.

Actually, Ocean Floor has more stuff in it than Happy Frog, but I agree that HF is better than OF, but because it’s not as hot.

I bought myself happy frog!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07H57K565?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

These are the LED lights I bought. My plan is to use the fluorescent grow light to get the plants started. Then once they are big enough I plan on moving them to the window and also use these LED light for additional support. I know window sill isn’t ideal but I’m more just want a cool house plant not too concerned about a large harvest.

1 Like

Honestly that light will be good for seedlings and early veg but will need way more light as it grows… That light has alot of red which is great for flowering but studies have shown that more blue spectrum light will keep your plants shorter as well… Next question @unclegerm do you have space outdoor you could use rather than make it a house plant on a window sill so it could thrive? But then again I’m thinking trying to get yields… Only one way to find out tho just do it and see what happens… Good call on the happy frog I really like it… Especially with the few additions it has compared to the rest of their line up :+1:

@dbrn32 what your take on the light?

I have no outdoor space unfortunately :frowning: just a small apartment in Chicago with 2 huge windows. I’m hoping that with both sunlight and those LED lights It will get enough, but I should probably get stronger LED lights?

have both these lights!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H57K565/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005P29K1S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I currently have the florescent light in the grow box now about 10" above two plants. (would the LED be better in the grow box?) I’ve used Happy Frog soil and only 2 tbs of water with the light off 6 hours a day

Thank you all for your help! much more confident with this grow!

1 Like