Firepit Weed Grow Journal

Hi all. This is actually my second grow journal. I am currently growing two plants indoors and they are about 4 weeks away from being switched to flower. This little lady is in the tent getting a head start because she is going to be an outdoor girl. In a couple of weeks I expect her to have filled up the Dixie cup with roots and I will be transplanting her to a 5 gallon pot and let her get acclimated to being outdoors while I prepare her new home.

Later today I will add a picture of the area that she will be put in. It is mainly going to be showing a wall going up and a fire ring with some stone dust as a ground cover where chairs and entertainment area. I plan on adding lighting and this plant will be put just atop the wall kind of showcasing her to the house. I believe it will look awesome and I think I might make that a permanent weed grow and try out autoflowers next time. I hope you will all find this entertaining.

9 Likes

@Oldsoldier1976 il be following along :slight_smile: looking forward to seeing it all come together. Good luck :v:t2:

1 Like

Using incremental sized pots (instead of a seedling in a 5 gal pot) transplanting as their root systems grow to fill any given pot, gives you more and better control over the plant during its entire life cycle.

2 Likes

I understand but I am thinking this way. She won’t be longer than 2 weeks in the fabric pot. Not long enough to do much. Just long enough to protect her from a killing frost. We are far enough north to get that. I have already picked out the spot. The 5 gallon pot just gives me a handle to pick her up to move her. She is staying in Dixie until I see a few roots near the cup edge. Thanks @Shatter for the tip though.

Here is a picture highlighting where my fire pit will be. The JD is sitting atop the fire pit and the wall will be behind it. We are facing northwest and she will get sunlight from 8am to 4pm. I don’t expect a big haul more like my kind of landscaping.

I have more pictures to post before to start this journey and journal off right.

9 Likes

Here is a small update on this. While I have actually been involved with more activity on this I am not prepared you introduce the entire project just yet. I am however amazed at this sight.

If you see the tap root made its way to the bottom of a Dunkin’s medium iced coffee cup. It is slipped inside a similar sized paper cup. That tap root sticking out like that gives me the hope of a very healthy plant.

Maybe this weekend I will outline the project with pictures here.

1 Like

Still inside the tent. The Durban looks like she is happy. I will give her one more week then she goes in a 5 gallon to be put on the back porch to get acclimated to being outside. She isn’t an auto so this is going to be interesting. I did let my neighbor know. The one who will more likely see and smell it on occasion. He said he was okay with it.

I am not leaving her long in the 5 gallon. Just two weeks I think. Long enough for the weather stabilized high enough to not have a hard freeze overnight.

2 Likes

Hi all. Thanks for following along. I know with all the grow journals and your own growing issues it is nice to have friends that can help advise along the way of mine. I had been growing these two girls in a tent in my basement. Also the wee bitty one that is actually part of this journal already.

But as life happens a trip planned for one point in the year has been changed to another point in the year and with it being the very first time growing and my girls are 2 months along and not quite ready for flower but if I wait for another month they will still be in flower when I fly off. I cant have that. If I left them inside those pots inside until I got back they would be way too small and they would be monsters in flower and I don’t know how many people successfully pull off a monster grow by a long veg.

Since I have not grown weed before even outside I am nervous but think bring them outside for mother nature to help them along. The trip to South Korea is early July and we come back mid August. I don’t expect them to have started flowering but it does bring up questions.

Would I be better served putting these two girls in larger fabric pots and not putting them in the ground? Or put these 5 gallon pots directly into an already prepared larger hole that goes deeper and hold 6 times the volume? I was thinking the 25 gallon pot might be big enough for them but not sure if it is a good option. I know I have seen some of you outdoor growers use the larger pots.

2 Likes

@garrigan62 @Big123 @Hungrybud can anyone help @Oldsoldier1976 out with his question please?

1 Like

@Oldsoldier1976,

ok, First I want to Welcome you to ILGM and to our community.

If you put them into 25 gal pots and left them inside in vegg you could use ono of these …
I have this one and it has save me more than once

https://www.amazon.com/Claber-8053-4-Programs-Automatic-Watering/dp/B000U5YFR4/ref=sr_1_9?crid=268JF9DHOO8TW&keywords=water+drip+system+for+indoor+plants&qid=1556353776&s=gateway&sprefix=water+drip+s%2Caps%2C175&sr=8-9?tag=greenrel_20

2 Likes

Yeah that does make a lot of sense. I just have one trouble the timing change couldn’t have come at a worst time. Then on top this is my first weed grow with fem seeds I got from here. My gut tells me that if I put them to flower now they would finish 3 days before I head on my vacation. Waiting until after my vacation in the tent will make them way too big. They would be 7 months old at that point and if they continued to grow like they are now, they would be huge!!!

So I ended up buying 2 30 gallon fabric pots and a 25 gallon. The baby will be in the smaller. This week is might be a good week to introduce them to the outside but we still have chilly unsettled weather going on. I might be ready to do that by next Saturday.

3 Likes

I hear ya brother, if it isn’t one thing it’s another.
The bigger pots are going to make a big difference in the size of your plants.
It sounds like you have time before you leave to place them outside. I myself think that this is your only way to go at this point. Just let mother nature do her thing. If you can get that Oasis water system you should be good to go. It holds 5 gal of water

2 Likes

Oh and @garrigan62 thank you for the welcome. I feel I have been accepted by the community as one of the guys. It has been a big help being on here and reading and learning from everyone. It has helped these two and my baby Durban to get so healthy. I am actually looking towards a top-fed DWC or even an RDWC for my next grow. I am not sure yet. I did find yesterday next to a headshop (store to buy vape and smoking supplies) a hydroponic store. It is a must visit soon. Got to see what they have.

With the girls outdoors I have a safety with my wife’s friend helping me by occasionally watering while we are gone. Plus I have a BIL that could do the same.

3 Likes

So this morning I pulled the girls out of the tent for a little maintenance check. I think they will be drinking again in 2 possibly 3 days. They got their last water 2 days ago. They just look and smell so good. I honestly can’t wait until I get them outside. I plan to be working near them as I landscape the back corner of my yard. We have not really had much time outside and I have had less time than I would like at that fire pit but life goes on.

2 Likes

4 Likes

They look great counting down the days till you get back there going to be so big

@cyle1 exactly. I can envision myself over the next two months doing some selective trimming and a bit of LST so that they don’t get too tall. I just hope that early September they start to fatten up and flower. November can be a bit cold sometimes up here.

2 Likes

Nice Lawn mower!

How much direct sunlight will your ladies get?

I think they will get 8 am to 4. About 8 hours until September then that decreases a little. The yard is open towards the south southeast. It is mostly south. They will be tucked up to the edge of some hardwoods and the back edge of my yard. I am open to other options but based upon what I have for a yard this is what I am seeing. I am prepared to change if it don’t seem to get enough.

Oh and they will get a little sunset as well. Once the sun gets past the row of trees it is open for another hour or so.

@Big123 that is also my snow removal as well. It gets double duty. I have a snow blower attachment to take care of a 300 foot long driveway.

4 Likes