Fired Up, Ready to Grow

@dbrn32 @Dennis62 @shaggy @patchman @Mrniceguy1 @Oldschool82 @forcedinduction Thanks for advice on my “$300 Indoor Grow.” Yeah, I listened so I stretched budget for better lights. All-in including seeds and soil about $700.
:heavy_check_mark: Vivosun 2x4x5 tent, inline fan, filter
:heavy_check_mark: HLG 100V2 3000 & VIPARSPECTRA2020 Pro P1000
:heavy_check_mark: ILGM Starter Pack seeds (photo bubblegum, white widow, AK47), soaked until sprouted, then planted
:heavy_check_mark: FFHF potting soil, will switch to OF when re-pot
:heavy_check_mark: fan for circulation

A few questions, be gentle since it’s my first time, lol…

1. Watering during germination - better to use spray bottle 2-3x a day to moisten but not soak to avoid overwatering, or should I pour until it comes out the bottom?
  2. Exhaust - I’ve got about 40 sf of open closet above the tent. Decided not to punch the ducting up into the attic because insulation had been must have been rolled over attic door, and there isn’t really an open area up there. I figure between open closet space and just opening the closet door periodically it should vent okay, do you agree?
  3. Tent vents - manufacturer says to leave a vent open for intake, but won’t that risk light leak (thinking ahead to flowering)?

Thanks again!!

5 Likes

Don’t water to runoff on seedlings. You don’t necessarily have to be limited to spraying them, but err to the side of less than more for sure. Depending on pot size and environmental conditions a couple ounces or less of water is usually plenty. If you plan on using dome you can probably spray and mist inside of dome for little bit and be fine.

Will probably be fine for now. Once they get bigger you will want complete air exchange for the co2. Probably won’t happen well recycling air in closet.

Yup. But you will still need fresh air for reason mentioned above. You can use flexible duct or any number of things to build light trap. Won’t matter in veg though.

2 Likes

Nice like the set up. And yes it can hurt in flower but like mentioned you can build a cheap air exchange for little to nothing using a piece of dryer flex duct is cheap. Looking forward to watching your grow.

1 Like

Happy for you, everything looks awesome. I hope you tag me with how you are doing. Curious how the two lights do, the smd chips, versus Samsung, I like the dimmable option. Good luck :smile:

1 Like

Awesome setup. Look clean and pro!
Btw, why two different types of lights guys? School me.

Looks really nice @Naptown
I’m gonna tag along if you don’t mind.

1 Like

Amusing how that happened…despite being warned not to buy a tent kit, I did but also got the hlg as the 2nd light. Was supposed to come with a blurple that I assumed wouldn’t be good so I figured they’d balance out.

Parts shipped separately (amazon) and something “happened during shipping” to the kit light, got refund. Couldn’t afford another hlg but the vipar popped up on sale plus somehow I got additional 20% off–just over $70 total!

I like the dimmer already. We’ll see how well they compare once I need both.

1 Like

Day 2. bubblegum (front) and white widow popped up already! Just waiting on Ak47. Soil seems to be holding enough moisture with loose plastic wrap.
20201028_234234|331x500

1 Like

It’s so hard to know what lights to buy hey?

1 Like

I had paralysis by analysis for like a month over the lights because I didn’t think I had the budget to get what I needed. I know I’ll be happy with the hlg, we’ll see on the vipar.

All 3 sprouts are moving along, but the whw has a bit of brown. I had the light at 50% about 12" up but freaked this a.m. when I noticed the brown so moved a few inches higher. Thoughts?

Day 5. Everything look normal so far?

2 Likes

Looks like it

2 Likes

Did you get a reply about that brown on the leaves @Naptown? I noticed a bit of this on mine this arvo too!

I would watch it but wouldn’t stress too much my humble opinion. Those leaves will turn brown as the seedlings start to get bigger. But that is just my opinion. I stressed and freaked out the first time I saw it asked questions and figured out those will go away as the plant grows. Thanks to some info from great ppl on this site

2 Likes

I have had this happen on a couple of mine also. For me it cleared up fairly quick. It looks like you are off and running pretty good. I will tag along and watch if you don’t mind. And I agree with the advice on water above also. Go on the side of light watering for a bit. I would not go to run off yet.

2 Likes

@Mrniceguy1 @OldTimeRockAndGrow would you guys mind if I tag you in my journal as well please? I’m just about to head downstairs to check on the bubbies after having been away for the weekend and praying I don’t find brown leaves all over the place

2 Likes

No I don’t mind at all. Thanks.

1 Like

Don’t mind at all hope it all looks good

1 Like

Sounds like it’s somewhat normal but I raised the light up a bit. I’m guessing this is gonna be like raising kids: the first one you over-nurture and try to do everything exactly right. By the 3rd, you let them play with a bag of broken glass.

2 Likes