Fired Up, Ready to Grow #2

Day 4 since all 3 seeds sprouted for my 2nd grow. Let the journey begin!!

Like last time, germinated in water first. Seeds split after 2 days then went into FFHF soil Feb 8th, sprouted on the 12th.

Here are the deets of my setup:

• ILGM Starter Pack photo seeds: bubblegum, white widow, AK47
  • Vivosun 2x4x5 tent, inline fan, filter
  • 2 Clipfans, humidifier
  • HLG 100V2 3000 & VIPARSPECTRA2020 Pro P1000 lights
  • FFHF potting soil until transplant, then likely a mix of HF and OF
  • I have CalMag and FF nutes trio, will likely follow a very light feeding schedule unless I clearly have deficiencies.
  • Water filtered thru Zero Water system. PhH runs about 9–too high—so I will try using lemon juice and other natural acidifiers until someone can convince me otherwise.
  • Each seedling under a homemade dome, just spritzing soil for moisture a few times daily for now. They will go into 5lb fabric pots when transplanted.

So here they are, can’t wait to see how much better I can do on this grow!

5 Likes

I like where your head is at looking for the natural pH corrections. Hope you don’t mind me following along. I’ll be starting my grow #2 as soon as my seeds arrive (I really wish the ILGM store was operational when I started looking). Good luck!

1 Like

Store is back up i believe it said.

1 Like

It is! And unfortunately it became so about a week after I ordered my next batch. The wife has a hilarious amount of fun researching the type of high she wanted so she could pick what grows next. We (she) wound up with 7 Lemon Kix (auto) which came with 3 White Widow (photo) and 3 Blueberry (photo) as “freebies”. Then I got a notification that our 3 Sour Diesel (photo) shipped as well. I don’t even know where to begin. :joy:

1 Like

What was your first grow? And how did it go?

I’m drying one of my AK47 autos right now, the other was a different phenotype and is taking longer to finish.

Hi all,I am wondering if any of you trim off these super large fan leaves on autos because of how they shade the light from all the branches near the stalk?

Oh,I forgot to mention the plants are 4 weeks old and are growing like crazy,my 1st experience with autos

1 Like

Hey thanks @Underthestairs and yes, please follow and chime in.

How did your first grow go? Mine was great until the last month when I had a light snafu causing all 3 photos to hermie, plus I had not been controlling water-in pH. Despite it all I still got 4.7 oz of good smoke out of it. The White Widow is really good, AK47 pretty good, bubblegum good enough, although they are all improving as they cure. Tons of seeds in i but maybe that will be a good thing, lol.

Happy growing!

1 Like

What a terrible problem to have, lol!

1 Like

@Emmy I’ve only done photos so far but one mentor who really helped me is @Dennis62–he does simple grows with autos (and photos) and may be able to advise on the fan leaves.

I didn’t do much pruning or training on my 1st grow. I fimmed each plant once and didn’t deal with pruning until lower leaves started to naturally die off. I plan to do LST, I think, on this grow but need to research it more.

Happy growing!

Thanks Naptown,I was going to ask about femming also as they look like that would help even the canopy,I’ve already taken those leaves off because they were huge, I’ll post in a few days what the results are so maybe it will answer someone’s question besides mine, I’ll also ask Dennis62 to get my answers now,these autos are definitely a different plant to deal with, I am also very curious about the LST,almost started to do it today

Hi @Naptown I’m onboard! :grin:

2 Likes

@Emmy I would be happy to help or find someone who can, but I simply grow, topping once and defoliate very little until a couple weeks into flower. The way i look at leaf, they are like little batteries that feed the plant of enough energy to power the plant. So until you need light and air flow leaving them and tucking them is what I do. @Naptown I’m following man :smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice,I’ve never grew an auto and 2 weeks in,I could tell that I knew nothing about these plants,and frankly I still feel that way.I have never had plants grow this fast and get so many branches and leaves. My concern with the huge lower leaves blocking the light from the fast growing new branches just freaked me out a little bit. I’m doing my own experiment, I lopped them off 1 plant and left the other to do whatever it wants too. If it’s ok,I’ll check in with you in a about a week, maybe post some pics and see what you think

1 Like

Oh,thanks to @Naptown for helping me out!!:grin:

2 Likes

Hi Emmy I’m by no means an expert but have had quite good results with my first round of Autos. That’s all I grow. I’ve been told not to do any more training than LST because their “veg” stage is so short. I started off with the Circle of Life/Around the World LST style and it soon became apparent that the top wasn’t growing fast enough to keep up with the side shoots so I’ve gone to Chaotic style and so far it’s working Brilliantly. Hope over and have a look at my journal if you wish, to get an idea of how it’s worked for me.

Journal name is :notes: When I Grow Up

1 Like

I agree with @Dennis62 on tucking, not removing fan leaves. Your Autos can only make so many of them before they start to throw all their energy at making flowers. Leave all of them on that you can and then the plant will take when she needs from them and the lower ones will start to yellow and die off anyway

1 Like

Thanks BStarr!, done removed a few from 1,fimmed 1,left 3rd 1alone,surprise, 3rd 1 is doinh great, the other 2 came to a standstill for now but are still healthy, I got more seeds so I’m using this as an experimental grow( read some of @Oldguy) older posts. I am keeping a day by day journal as well. Now only time will tell,I suppose I’ll learn from all 3,again thanks :blush:, I need all the help I can get, lol

3 Likes

When do you switch your lights to bloom with these autos,I’ve seen no sign of pre-flower yet,I’m 4 1/2 weeks into the grow

1 Like

Autos are on their own schedule and will usually start flowering 3 to 5 weeks in my experience. They don’t depend on light change to flower, but some are stubborn and take longer, some try to go to 12/12 to force flowering, may work but I don’t know. Autos are in ways are harder than photos because of control. I would assume you should see hairs very soon. :smile: