Finished product smells/tastes like arse!

I watched a few videos and read a few articles on the process. Thought I did everything right as far as hang drying went. RH wasn’t too low or high in the tent. I waited until smaller brances would snap off. Not just make the snapping noise. I def feel what I am smelling is Chlorophyll. What’s interesting is after the 20 mins of burping when I go to put the lids on, the grass smell is almost all gone. I wouldn’t say I smell the normal weed smell at that point, but it doesn’t smell like hay/grass anymore. Until the next day when I burp. does that mean anything?

Not at all. When they first went into flower, big time…then it slowly stopped smelling like skunk/bud and started smelling more hay/grass like.

I did separate the branches. Quite a bit in fact. Figured this would speed up drying time. Which by my 5 day point, did.

Curious, why distilled water in it? I use these ‘cleaner’ drop in things for humidifiers I got off of amazon.

The jars are sealed. The jars are a small volume. The air is going to hit maximum relative humidity pretty quickly if those flowers are still moist.

We won’t ever know what went wrong, but if you use logging hygrometer/thermometer, you’ll at least have the data point. Plus, if you saw that an hour after sealing that jar, your RH spiked to 75%, you’d let the flowers dry for another day.

There are a few types of humidifiers, and diaphragm types will coat your tent and flowers with a fine mineral dust unless you use distilled water. It sounds like you have a wicking humidifier. I don’t know about the cleaners, but now I have questions…

1 Like

@KeystoneCops - Do you have any input in what I said above about the smell? does this mean anything?

What’s interesting is after the 20 mins of burping when I go to put the lids on, the grass smell is almost all gone.** I wouldn’t say I smell the normal weed smell at that point, but it doesn’t smell like hay/grass anymore. Until the next day when I burp. does that mean anything?

If there’s no light going a tank of water in your humidifier will last about 3 days.

Just buy a couple gallons of ro water it’s cheap insurance

1 Like

If you pinch a bit of flower off and crush it between your fingers and thumb, what does that smell like?

1 Like

I’m sure by now you know Why after you’ve read everything. All I can say is join the club and don’t feel bad because it seems that Often I’ve grown crap that smells like arse.
Made all the common mistakes especially feeding it full nutrients in a nutrient packed black hyponex soil.:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::nauseated_face:
Overfeeding in general.
My buddies used to call it bahaya or Bahia.:smile: Live n Learn

1 Like

How many days it take at that rate? Just because your numbers are there, doesn’t mean your air movement isn’t too much. No one measures wind speed, but if you are using a really small area you would put an intake hole with a hepa filter and an exhaust with carbon filter. No inside fan, that would dry them too fast even at optimum temp/humidity. And for like a 10 gallon container set up on here I saw earlier, that exhaust fan was only a 6inch computer fan controlled by an ac infinity controller. Just smoked, can’t recall shit. Lol. If your buds go into curing too soon, and you do that process correctly, the clorophyl should still disipate. It’s part of the plants process, and as far as I understand, unless you get under a certain water content that chlorophyll will continue through it’s process. @Hellraiser shows his process of having the hygrometers in the containers twords the end with no lids on untill it reads 62? iirc. In pretty great detail in his soil journal. Then begins his curing/freezing. Would definitely check out hellraisers journals for general questions on all stages.

3 Likes

If you pinch a bit of flower off and crush it between your fingers and thumb, what does that smell like?

Well, I just checked and it smells like normal good weed. Smells yummy when I do that haha

Thanks for the reply man, really appreciate the input/advice. How many days for the total with drying or just drying?

Suggested? 7-10. Oh just drying. You should be rid of that taste with just drying, if not, like Uncle Roger says “You f*** up.” But yeah. Try to not have the bud humidity down to 62 in less than 7-10 days. The reason you can’t keep conditions beneficial for drying much longer for the chlorophyll to disipate is because then you are in conditions suceptable to mold/mildew. That’s a run on if I ever saw one. But can’t see how to easily fix it. English isn’t my thing. Lol

https://ilgmforum.com/t/ac-infinity-for-drying/66292?u=painfree

Here’s a link to the thread

1 Like

So maybe it isn’t actually as bad as you thought. And it has been curing, but I wouldn’t touch my flowers for 8 weeks.

Buy at least one of the hygrometers I recommended. Make sure your humidity is low enough. And then wait; I think your patience will be rewarded.

3 Likes

I actually just looked. I cut it 4/9, which is a Friday. I put it in jars in the following Friday. So 7 day hang dry time. Not 5. Appreciate it, @Budz

Thank you! That’s an awesome setup!!

I hope it keeps getting better. Thanks for all the tips. I will pick up a hygrometer for sure!

3 Likes

Remember the 7-10 is supposed to be expected not suggested. Whatever container you decide to cure in should have a hygrometer sitting at the top for an hour before you put the lid on. If that hygrometer says anything above 62%, do not put the lid on. If it’s a couple percent off, can leave it in and just jostle them occasionally. If hits 5% or more (67%+). Get them spread back out in a single layer. Really want to hit that 62% closer to 10 days.
There’s also 50 million paper bag methods. Just search here for paper bag. What all the old hippies did. Still do. Grower I knew growing up wouldn’t even hang em all. Was just a patient man and put out 3 plants for every one he wanted to harvest. 1 for deer, 1 for theives and one for himself. Always remember that one

4 Likes

Do u have rh meters in the jars??? When u jar tgem at first after about 20 to 24 hrs what was the rh in the jar. If not abouve 58% then the buds wont do any conversions as they r too dry for anything to hapoen. When curing buds they need to be in the dark even for just storing after curing as the light degrades the thc and trics. I never wait for sticks to snap when i dry and cure. It always has a hay smell if i do so i now take the buds down when i feel like the oiter half or more of the bud feels dry and cfisp i trim them all and jar them and watch the rh in the jars. Afyer 20 to 24 hrs if anything over 62rh i open jars for a while mix around. Uds ect. Close at night. If over 70 rh i leave lids off during night time. As rh drops i leave lids of but flipped backwards only covering so much of the hole so it dont dry out super fast. In short i have way better succes with taste smells and all watching it all in jars than i do letti9ng it hang dry like everyone says fo do.

1 Like

That’s also a longer turn around. Even on the Netflix documentary about humboldt county there’s a grower who says it’s already sold, dry, no time to cure. I been smoking weed 20 years, maybe I got lucky, but I only ever got hay tasting weed 2-3 times total. And we’re talking about an 8th a day in college. It can’t be that hard if everyone’s been doing it for over 20 years. I think it would be beneficial as a community to understand better why we have trouble with an old concept

1 Like

My first grow came out hayish or no taste or smell. After that i just experimented on my own on getting the dry to go slower. Involves alot of opening jars and all but its better than growing hay lol. Hell i bought a bowl trimmer for trimming buds used it 2 times and said man it makes the bud look like hell and it dries out too fast if u do seperated buds. I javnt tried drying loose buds from trim bowl i just do trim bow to trim it then if small enoigh it goes for bubble has or gets left to the side for pressing

1 Like