Finally 1st grow started!

Thanks, that’s the plan. That’s what you do w tomatoes too when transplanting. Hoping they’ll get going. They are autos so won’t be in veg as long.

3 Likes

Thanks! I can’t wait till they really get started in veg. Exciting!

1 Like

Awesome love it :+1:

2 Likes

I would advise against adding worm castings at this point in your growing experience. Do coco or do soil, but don’t try and blend until you have enough experience to self-diagnose problems. During your first grow you want to set yourself so that you have distinct rules to follow. Making the medium more of a soil-ish coco mix makes for a lot of interpretation and judgement on your part that you’re likely not qualified to do. It also makes asking for help harder, as you’re not really in coco, but it ain’t soil either. Do yourself a favor and stick with one or the other. Next grow you’ll be in a much better position to fiddle with the setup.

2 Likes

I wish I would have read this first!! Lol great advice!! I thought I was following along but realized particularly for my first grow one or the other would have be easier… and I understood the worm castings as just a bonus no matter what you were using… not realizing it makes the coco more soil like as you said

1 Like

Thanks for your advice. I’m using coco/perlite for the grow. I’m using Jacks nutes. What about recharge w feeds?

I used recharge on my last grow*. It’s good stuff. Separate out a gallon or so of nute mix and mix in recharge as directed into the gallon. Water with your just-nutes mix as normal and wait 15, then add the recharge mix. Recharge does best if added after normal watering.

Recharge shouldn’t be used after about week 6 of flower because it will add too much N.

• I’m not using on the current grow because of the layout of the pots. I don’t want to run it thru my pump sprayer and I have to use the sprayer to reach the rear plants in the SOG.
4 Likes

I’ve never heard about watering the Rechage after the nutes, that’s interesting. I always add Recharge after Ph-ing the mix so as not to kill mass amounts of the 'crobes off but hadn’t heard about the other trick.
I do drop Recharge in flower but I start up with Mammoth P at the beginning of flower for the phosphorus uptake. Mammoth P is all about phosphorus freeing for the plants. Mammoth P specializes in freeing the phosphorus for the plant, which is in high demand during flowering. The microbes are specially selected for that purpose and it was developed in a college horticultural lab and has lab proven results.
Phosphorus is one of the harder substances for the plant to break down and consume on it’s own so anything I can do to help! LOL!

3 Likes

From Dudegrows (makers of Recharge):

For best coverage, apply Recharge solution to your media after it’s been watered and not when it needs to be watered. The microbes will disperse through the media better when it’s already wet.

My read on this is that you’d likely get the same results if you mixed Recharge in the whole mix, but you’ll use a lot less if you just add 8 oz after plain nutes.

I may have overstated the amount to mix up. At 8 oz per plant, 1 gallon is enough for 16 plants - and you need to use it within 24 hours.

2 Likes

Questions: This chilled tech light runs hotter that I thought it would. Driver is outside tent. I was in home depot & saw a small evaporative air cooler. Since you add ice water it also humidifies air. It’s 275cfm @ 1200 btu. Anyone use one of these? My tiny diffuser is outside tent w an opening for humidity & it still raises it to the 70’s. The tent is running 80-83 temp. I’m still in seedling stage & they’re doing good(I guess, 1st grow) running Jacks, recharge, mykos when I transplant. Saw lots of ppl use silica, is this a benefit to them & when do you use it. Otherwise is there something I should be using at flower? Lastly, my tent has 2 hanging bars & I have lights hooked to. When I get the fan/filter, where does it hang to hold it up? The bar that is back tent bar? If I get the temp/humidity AC infinity one, how/what do you use to make the stuff go on/off as needed? Oh, only one of two plants on jacks, other will be grow dots if that makes a difference to anything else I might add.

O yeah, my house must be well insulated bc the RH w/o the lil diffuser was 28-45%. It’s in my bathroom & I am not running any house a/c yet. Hopefully I can make it to June w/o turning it on like last year. I just run window unit in BR when I sleep. Keeps my electric bill under $75. I’m in Deep South & outdoor RH runs in high 90’s in summer. Running autos.

1 Like

Let me start by saying I am not knocking mammoth p or any microbe booster. I love em👍. They are needed for sure in living soil if you depend on rock phosphorus or bone meal for your P. To make it plant available.

But I think fallen fall leaves are a incredibly overlooked resource for free (to grab) free (chelated plant available) phosphorus. Even if you don’t use it on your canna do your part and put them in your flower beds. They are a problem leaching phosphorus into waterways every fall. The worms and big flowers will thank you. They add lots of carbon too. My neighbors think I am crazy but I usually grab 50 wheel burrows full the bottom of our dead end hill. There is never a leaf left uncomposted by spring. Lay the leaves, then top dress them lightly w soil. They don’t blow away and they break down quick and clean to the eye test.

2 Likes

This is my intake and exhaust… intake on the bottom and exhaust out a top hole… I didn’t need any other supports as I did mine exterior just for a reference

1 Like

Have you used the leaves in an indoor grow? I use them on my veggie garden along w soil amendments & I usually have mushrooms spouting in my garden. Local Ag center said shrooms in veggie bed means it’s a very fertile bed. I have tons of leaves & pine straw!

1 Like

Thank you!!

1 Like

I think indoors you are asking for a pest problem. Fungus knat heaven. For indoors I would make a rough chopped leaf tea with an airstone and bucket a few days. Then water it in. Or cook it outside a month with the leaves before you plant. Like have the next pots ready to roll “cooking”. Or load up a tumbler. Even easier just top dress your indoor pots with that rich mushroom laden soil from the veggie garden. You will be adding the composted leaves, microbes, worms, and hopefully some of the mycelium from those fruiting mushrooms.

Honestly, now days I do everything I can outdoor. I only keep Bansai keeper clones under minimal lights in the winter. Until spring planting. I even take and root my clones out in the sun. I have definitely grown my fair share indoors in the past. Right now I am just on this under the sun personal challenge kick. Even if it makes it harder sometimes. Like those dudes that try and drive as slowly as possible to get the highest MPG…ha

I guess the idea is that fall leaves are lower in N, as the trees stop feeding the leaves and use up the N. The P stays in the leaves and falls with them. It quickly is released as the leaves break down. Better to catch it in the soil dams of our gardens than to let it wash away into the rivers and lakes.

2 Likes

Ok I’m almost 2 wks on these autos. They look pretty small or is it just me? The one on right LSD-25 looks a teeny lighter(?). The light is at 30in above canopy at 75% intensity. Temp running high 70’s-80 RH 65-70. They’ve had one small feed of jacks. Are they stunted? Anything I need to do?

5 Likes

Nah - the first couple of weeks or so the plant will concentrate on growing roots. Once it gets a good root system going it’ll start spreading the love around to the top of the plant. You may see the tap root poking out of the drain holes in your cup. About the time you see that she’ll start growing up top more vigorously.
Now if they look the same 2 weeks from now, there might be a problem.

3 Likes

Thanks @Tylersays That makes me feel much better! The 2nd leaves popped out & I can see 3rd starting but I thought maybe they were too small & I had screwed up just 2wks in lol Should they get anything besides the jacks…recharge, silica ect?

1 Like

I slip my babies some microbes, so a little recharge is fine but I stay away from silica until I get my training done. Once I get the general shape I need for the space I start with the silica. Silica will make the stems too stiff to work with without causing extra stress to the plant, IMO.
Are you in soil or coco? I’m referring to soil. Coco may need it from the beginning. Soil has some usable silica in it for the plant, though most often not really enough for a whole cycle. I think coco is pretty much devoid of anything.
I looked up top and see you’re in Coco. You definitely need to feed the Jacks, but at this point I wouldn’t add a whole lot of extra nutrients. But the microbes are fine. Start establishing colonies and forming their relationship with the plant early is my thinking.

2 Likes