FIM Fail? Help Plz

@IKnowURider
Thx much! They are starting to bush out now. Yesterday I started to prune the plant bottom undergrowth. Very sparingly. Figured a little each time would be the most safe. Sound about right? Oh, and I love your username. I am a long time fellow Deadhead.
Freak freely✌️

1 Like

Very cool!! Looks great. And yes - but I would only remove the old and starting to die fan leaves at very bottom of plants - target ones that would open up a light hole or let air into the middle of the plant - very sparingly now. After you are a in 12/12 bloom light schedule is started - you can remove more of the old fan leaves - I usually take about 5 or so fan leaves from each plant each day until I have the very bottom of the plant cleaned up from the wilting fan leaves. My understanding is that the job of the big fan leaves is mostly done when you get into bloom.

1 Like

I am not sure. I prefer topping mine and leaving a stub like HapHazard showed - that prevents the main cola from growing back and forces 4 evenly developed colas to emerge during bloom.

1 Like

Lol. I’m running autos my first time growing anything ever so I decided to experiment with fim on the smallest one. I’ll settle for not dying.

2 Likes

Yeah - and I’ve heard the best thing to do with autos is to let them do their thing. They are already on the clock - so messing with them too much can cut some time off at the end when they are swelling buds :handshake:

2 Likes

I came back to look at it and I can see you missed it.

Look at the update to my thread I discuss what you did and another member did, I just didn’t catch it on your thread.

3 Likes

@Nicky
Thx kindly! :v:

1 Like

@IKnowURider
Today’s 1st light view.
2 Wedding Cake
Started to train 2 days ago in attempt to widen out the growth.

1 Like

@IKnowURider
2 Gelato 1st thing today.
They are bushing out nicely on their own.

All 4

3 Likes

Those look really really nice. Looks like you are getting great new growth. What light are you running? They look like they could handle some more light - but not necessary now. I’m thinking about the end of bloom… They are also bushy - just make sure you have a lot of air moving in the tent. When mine look like that (they do now - Exotic Gelato in 2nd week of bloom and topped) - I struggle to keep the dew off leaves that touch. That can lead to mold at the end. Whats your humidity like in your grow space?

I’d like to add @Covertgrower - Im new to indoors grow and I only grow in DWC. He helped me a lot along with @HappyHydroGrower and @peachfuzz . This is the team :handshake:

4 Likes

They handled the topping nicely :handshake: Now for 4 colas … and my Gelato may be shaping into 6 main colas. They are growing machines.

1 Like

You have a couple. There hat the new growth is much lighter in color… Are you feeding them? They are looking like they are starting to get hungry possibly.

What’s your run off tds?

@IKnowURider @Nicky
I’m running a 1000 HPS in the room/(no tent). If I try to take a photo w/iPhone when that light is on, these vertical charcoal shaded bars show up in the picture - weird!? These pics were taken no more than 2 mins before the HPS clicked on. The light used for the photos only is just a shop clip light. Trust me, all 4 are vibrantly lush green. My humidity level is running between 48-58% RH thanks to a humidifier unit. I have 2 oscillating fans at opposite sides moving the air under & over growth really well inside room. Exhaust fan to outside world and intake fan for incoming air both triggered by combo humidity/temperature atmospheric controller. As for nutes, these gals are growing in Ocean Forest after starting their life w/Happy Frog. It’s my understanding they will not really need additional nutes until later on in Bloom stage using OF which seems to be correct advice. When I first started out growing 25+ yrs ago I lived in Humboldt County CA. I had a small sea of green grow in a spare bedroom. So many advancements since then! Just started again in MO. and I’m trying to learn these new methods and gearing up for my first SCROG ever. A huge kind THX to all for the help here! :v::heart:

2 Likes

Yep - you got this all covered up!! But wait to you try LED lights and Deep Water Culture - I never went back to playing in the dirt.

1 Like

Yes, future plans… after a long hiatus I just wanted to get up and running again as soon as possible w/a system that was within my budget. And of course you’re always over budget. :laughing::v:

@IKnowURider
What LED setup are you using or would recommend?

I recommend kingbrites

HLG are the most popular on this forum though

The camera issue is normal, you need to take you pictures after turning off grow light and your flash on for a second though.
Don’t take pictures with grow lights on it makes it impossible to leaf read.

2 Likes

@Nicky
Understood, thx.
Ya, will turn on flash for future pics…
I’ll look into those kingbrites too and have noticed HLG is revered by most here. :v:

2 Likes

I’ve use 1 for veg and then double it up for flower… I have used to 2 grows now - love the results. Very reasonably priced. MAGLONG 2020 Upgrade M2000 Led Grow Light - with Samsung LED Chips & Mean Well Driver, Quantum Board Plant Grow Lights and Dimmable Function

If you can afford and HLG - I dont see why not to get one. I think Spider Farmer runs a close second to HLG in my humble opinion - just from experience. They don’t have the newest version of the samsung LEDs - but they are inexpensive and man do they stimulate growth with a fraction of the heat from HPS.

1 Like