FF Trio for first grow?

I know everyone has an opinion and here it seems to be backed by real world knowledge. So starting first grow soon and starting to doubt if i should use ff trio or dirty dozen. It will be ILGM critical mass auto. 2 planted in FF frog on top 2/3 and ff ocean bottom third. Also have 2 potforpot kits. Figured id run 2 of each to see what worked best for me. Haven’t started grow yet so time to change it up if need be, keep seeing post about “salt build up” and “flushing” also see post on feeding the soil so that it feeds the plant which honestly makes since too…

5 Likes

Welcome to the community Growmie. Personally I would consider jacks 321 for the simplicity with no issues. I’ve used the FF trio, a little messy and could need periodic flushing to rid the medium of excess salts. The P4P medium will need PH water only for roughly 5-6 weeks before nutrients are needed. Do you have a TDS and PH pen for testing your nutrient mixture and run off :love_you_gesture:

5 Likes

I use trio liquid and trio pk boosters. Love FF.
Lotsa people here like jacks 321. Ive not used it myself. The whole dirty dozen line seems a bit extreme.

Flushing is simple, just takes 3x pot volume of water. But if you always water to runoff and arent over feeding, you dont always have to flush. I do, cuz it only rains outside and not in my tent.

4 Likes

All you need is the Trio + cal/mag.

I will also steer you toward Jack’s. Jack’s is much more convenient to use.

4 Likes

Yez zir, lol im like the new kid at a new school…got everything on the list. Even the things i don’t need probably. :joy::disappointed:.

2 Likes

So does the medium build up with salt or do the actual roots build up creating the blockage?

1 Like

:point_up_2: @Nubie419plus1 as a previous FF nutrient user thats critical. Also agree that you don’t need the dirty dozen :love_you_gesture:

1 Like

Better planning than myself when I started the indoor journey. I jumped in with both feet and 1/2 through my 1st grow found this amazing community and managed to get my first indoor grow to harvest. Awesome cultivators on here willing to help you succeed. Most have went through many trials and errors to get where they are :love_you_gesture:

4 Likes

The medium will retain the salts in the root zone if not watered or fed to approximately 20% run off. I generally go more than that but I grow in coco and feed every day :love_you_gesture:

2 Likes

It’s not really a matter of salts creating a physical blockage. It’s more a matter of a salt buildup driving pH down and inhibiting the plant’s ability to uptake nutes.

4 Likes

:point_up_2: better stated :love_you_gesture:

1 Like

Makes way more sense to me now. Way it was worded in a few places made it sound like plants root system couldnt intake some of the mineral/salt so it binded to the root system. So i couldnt picture flushing would actually wash away this build up. I kept picturing a pipe with calcium build up in my head.

2 Likes

Appreciate everyones feedback and breaking it down without frustrations!!! This site and everyone on it freaking rocks!!!

4 Likes

It’s all about keeping the PH in range and ideally the sweet spot. For soil that’s 6.5 and coco 5.8. Out of range prevents certain nutrient absorption :love_you_gesture:

3 Likes

Welcome to the community ! Dyna-gro is a very simple product to use. One bottle for veg stage after veg set it aside an use second bottle for Bloom stage. water to 20% run off . Just my thoughts if you’re looking for a simple product to use. don’t get cought up in all the Flashy bottles.
Good luck with your adventure ! :v::+1:

6 Likes

Exactly what im trying not to do, everyone loves marketing schemes. Thank you so much

3 Likes

Most times in this adventure Less is more . An easy approach could be focus on growing the roots . Everything else will build from there. Just sharing my technical knowledge.

3 Likes

Go organic and you won’t have as much trouble imo. Things can go wrong but no need to flush over salt buildup!

3 Likes

Any suggestions or can ya point me in the right direction for solid research? Thank you for your time!

@Nubie419plus1 just personal experience and opinion! I’d rather not have to buy 17 bottle to grow :joy::rofl: I use 2 bottle in veg and 3 in flower! Only had to flush once before ever joining the forum due to my being a noob! And since I corrected my errors it’s been smooth sailing. I water around 2l every 3-4 days feed then 3-4 days ph water. I just know I don’t ever want to depend on synthetics. I only ph water never water to runoff. And I think for a first timer with some cheap equipment I’m doing ok :joy::face_with_peeking_eye:

1 Like