Few outdoor beginner questions

I dont think it matters, I got so many earth worms in my soil, they do it for me…
But you are on a budged so just brake that stuff with your hands and work it with your soil…
Dont need much…

Would it be a good idea to use the worm castings as the soil, and just add some other things to it like coffee grounds and kelp meal?

No , worm casting is pretty nitrogen rich…Use 10- 15 % of the soil
compound…Then add some organic mater like compost and mix it with your
native soil…

1 Like

The way I was going to make worm castings, is with horse manure. Once the castings are made, should I mix it with more manure and the native soil?

As long as the horse manure is aged well yes, mix it with the worm castings and native soil…
Approximately 10% castings 10% manure add some leafs or grass clippings maybe another 10 % and work it to your soil, that should be fine and pretty economical…
If your soil is clay, you need to add some coarse sand or perlite…
You be good to go ! Good luck

So I was in a location where I plan to grow soon. I’ve been seeing this moss all over the place lately. Do you think I could use this in the mix as well?

Another question I was thinking about the other day, was, after harvesting an outdoor plant, are you supposed to remove the soil it grew in, and place new soil for the next plant, or can you keep using the same soil? To me, it seems logical to change out the soil, since the plant used all the nutrients from that grow.

Looks like you got your spot…
Dig it out, bring a few buckets of some good stuff, mix it together and plant…
You could change the soil sfter you harvest or you can heavily manure it after harvest, let it work over winter and age, then you got fertile soil again in spring…

3 Likes

A question I just thought of yesterday… So I’m digging the holes currently, and I remember in another response you gave, that I should add some of the native soil in with the soil mixture. Would it be a good idea to be collecting native soil now, as I’m digging the holes, or wait until it’s closer to the time I will be making the mixture and start my grow? I won’t be growing until October. Also on that subject, how early could I start placing the soil mixture? Is that something I should wait on doing until it’s closer to the growing time, or would it not hurt to start doing that now?

Hey , if you got this much time, I would even use fresh manure and mix it with the soil you dig out and place it back into hole , let it rest a few months…and you got it !!!

1 Like

Time is one thing I have for awhile, lol. I did find out recently the native soil is mostly clay. It’s been a real pain digging the holes, but it’s the safest outdoor area for me. I hit a gold mine today though. I found a guy running a company willing to make weekly drop offs of 3-4 cubic metres of horse manure and potting soil. I was thinking of letting the worms have their way with the bulk of the manure, then mixing the castings with some forest humus, along with some potting mix. The potting mix is second hand from a company that was growing basil to sell to Asia.

As a side note, what if I took your idea, and mixed in potting mix with the native soil and the manure? Another idea, what if instead of fresh manure, I make castings out of it, mix it with native soil and the potting mix, and then place it out there? Or would it be better to use fresh manure?

Another side note. I was told that the potting mix has some basil seeds left in it. I was reading online of having companion plants with your mj plants. Do you think basil would be a good companion plant?

Let the manure compost. Its always the best option.
I have clay too, it needs a lot of organic matter to make it good ( sand, perlite too )
Any of your ideas will work and add the potting soil too…Basil should be good it has aroma…
Have at it and have fun, good luck !

2 Likes

For a more natural approach Go for cow manure. Also, you do have the option for liquid fertiliser if you are looking for some really fast result.

nice. i love the choices.