Fertilizer ratio

A question from a fellow grower:

The bible states the fertilizer ratio should be 5/1/1 for seedlings. I purchased Dyna-gro brand fetilizer with a ratio of 7/9/5 for the grow cycle. I believe you recommended it. Will I be ok or should I look for something else closer to the 5/1/1?

The first number is nitrogen. This is use for veg growth. The other numbers are primarily flower elements. The plants wont use much of the fertilizer you bought until flower. If you use this now, your soil may be left with too much of the others when you switch to flowering. I recommemd buying some food with less P and K for the veg cycle. Others will chime in.

The best food for vegging is a even number 5-5-5, 2-2-2 or 10-10-10. Agree that 7-9-5 is way too much P-K for the veg cycle. When you first give nutrients, it is better to give 1/4 of what the manufacturer recommends and work it stronger as you go. Start low and go up slow will keep you plants healthy.

If you are in soil, you can actually grow the entire veg cycle without any nutrients at all. Just keep the pH range 6.4 - 6.8 with 6.5 as the sweet spot. If your input and runoff are in the range, the plant will tell you when it needs nutrients. I only have flowering nutrients for my plants and I have been having good harvests. Hope this helps. Jerry